PDA

View Full Version : Local Weather

tamanaco
2006-04-19, 15:31
Does anyone know a plug-in or a RSS feed that would scroll the Temperature/Local Weather/Local Time in the SBv3?

Thanks

abdomen
2006-04-19, 15:48
Does anyone know a plug-in or a RSS feed that would scroll the Temperature/Local Weather/Local Time in the SBv3?

Thanks
I love this one (though there is at least one other): http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21989

kbeast
2006-04-19, 15:59
WeatherTime and SuperDateTime is excellent too. You can customize the display for what you want displayed..

I tend to use WeatherTime when I'm not playing any music, but use SuperDateTime when things are playing...both are great, WeatherTime takes a little more to configure as you need to setup dev tools (if you will) for weather.com

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-20, 06:20
This is the SqueezeNetwork forum.

I assume tamanaco wanted this to work over SqueezeNetwork? Because these plugins are for SlimServer only.

There are no equivalents for SqueezeNetwork.

(I'm fine with all this, just wanted the OP to know.)

tamanaco
2006-04-20, 07:09
This is the SqueezeNetwork forum.

I assume tamanaco wanted this to work over SqueezeNetwork? Because these plugins are for SlimServer only.

There are no equivalents for SqueezeNetwork.

(I'm fine with all this, just wanted the OP to know.)

Exactly....

I installed the WeatherTime plug-in and is nice, but it only works while connected to the Slimserver. I turn my Slimserver off whenever I'm not playing music from my music library. I'd like to have a similar feed from the Squeezenetwork.

Maybe this has been discussed before, but I'm also bother by the fact that the SB does not give you the option to automatically switch to the Squeezenetwork whenever the Slimserver is unavailable. I have to get the remote and manually switch to the Squeezenetwork. There should be four options:
1.- Manual
2.- Automatic
3.- Make the Slimserver the Primary connection
4.- Make the Squeezenetwork the primary connection.

tamanaco
2007-08-18, 05:30
It has been over a year since I asked about having local weather information as a screensaver when the SB3 is off and connected to the Squeezenetwork. My DVR, VCR and DVD player in my AV cabinet already give me the time and date. Most times I'm too lazy to wait for the SS to come up and even with over 300 CDs already ripped; I still find myself listening to music I don't have. (TSF-Paris.. anyone?) I'm connected to the Squeezenetwork "90%" of the time and would like to see some of the "Slimserver-plug-in-like" features in the Squeezenetwork. You can't tell me that I have not been patient. Now that Slim Devices has access to the "deep" pockets of Logitech... resources should not be an issue. I expected to see "at least" a weather screensaver and some other "additional" features to the Squeezenetwork. How much longer do I have to wait to see some improvements to this wonderful service?

dazbarber
2007-08-18, 05:35
It has been over a year since I asked about having local weather information as a screensaver when the SB3 is off and connected to the Squeezenetwork.
Ooh - yes please. Mine shows the local weather when not playing (but when my PC is on). If this was available through SN I could see the weather all the time (without looking out of the window :))!

medtech
2007-08-18, 18:12
I was just thinking the other day how cool it would be to have the SuperDateTime plug-in access on Squeezenetwork. Would love to see my local weather and favorite teams sports scores without having to fire up the computer every time. Another thing I'd like is random play of the entire Rhapsody My Library.

plympton
2007-12-29, 10:51
I was just thinking the other day how cool it would be to have the SuperDateTime plug-in access on Squeezenetwork. Would love to see my local weather and favorite teams sports scores without having to fire up the computer every time. Another thing I'd like is random play of the entire Rhapsody My Library.

Here's another bump for this feature - I never use Squeezenetwork, and the MAIN reason is because I love the SuperDateTime plugin, and find it very handy to have.

... then again, if you don't WANT people to use SqueezeNetwork... :-)

-Dan
PS: After that, it would be AlienBBC, but I almost never use it. I just want it available. :-)

andyg
2007-12-29, 11:39
On Dec 29, 2007, at 12:51 PM, plympton wrote:

>
> medtech;221538 Wrote:
>> I was just thinking the other day how cool it would be to have the
>> SuperDateTime plug-in access on Squeezenetwork. Would love to see my
>> local weather and favorite teams sports scores without having to fire
>> up the computer every time. Another thing I'd like is random play of
>> the entire Rhapsody My Library.
>
> Here's another bump for this feature - I never use Squeezenetwork, and
> the MAIN reason is because I love the SuperDateTime plugin, and find
> it
> very handy to have.
>
> ... then again, if you don't WANT people to use SqueezeNetwork... :-)
>
> -Dan
> PS: After that, it would be AlienBBC, but I almost never use it. I
> just want it available. :-)

Of course we would prefer you use your own SqueezeCenter, and now with
SC7 you aren't missing out on any features that are only available on
SN. :)

bpa
2007-12-29, 13:11
The following RSS URL provide the 5 day forecast and current observation for London and works on Squeezenetwork RSS feeds - although they don't seem to work as a screensaver on SN.

http://feeds.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/rss/5day/world/1769.xml
http://feeds.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/rss/obs/world/0008.xml

The 4 digit code determine which city/location.

See this page for details on the URLs
http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/data/WeatherFeeds?v=p12

yockers
2008-01-10, 07:13
I used to use the BBC RSS weather feeds, but got fed up with all the extra information.

I don't care about wind direction/speed, air pressure, visibility, uv counts, pollution counts, sunrise/sunset. Some might, but for me it just makes getting to the information I want to see scroll past a long time coming.

I just want the headline. How hot. Rain or shine. For today and the next few days.

MiJaGourlay
2009-02-27, 13:29
I just got a Squeezebox Boom and it rocks, but I typically want to use it connected to SqueezeNetwork, not SqueezeCenter. I use my SB primarily as an alarm clock and I recently got into the habit of turning my computer off at night (after years and years of leaving it on).

For those keeping score at home, it turns out that paying $40/year for a music locker is cheaper than the electricity for running a computer 24x7.

But I ride a motorcycle to work at Electronic Arts every day, so I tend to need to know what the weather will be like. So naturally I want weather on my SB.

Obviously SqueezeCenter has weather plugins but since I want to use SqueezeNetwork, I'd like to have a weather plugin that works without needing SqueezeCenter.

Obviously the SB has the functinality it needs to obtain this, so I suspect this is not a fundamental difficulty -- or even, necessarily, an imposition on SqueezeNetwork. The SB could support this in firmware.

This thread has been dormant for a while but I just wanted to remind the developers that we still want this feature.

Thanks!

aubuti
2009-02-28, 10:52
I just got a Squeezebox Boom and it rocks, but I typically want to use it connected to SqueezeNetwork, not SqueezeCenter. I use my SB primarily as an alarm clock and I recently got into the habit of turning my computer off at night (after years and years of leaving it on).

For those keeping score at home, it turns out that paying $40/year for a music locker is cheaper than the electricity for running a computer 24x7.

But I ride a motorcycle to work at Electronic Arts every day, so I tend to need to know what the weather will be like. So naturally I want weather on my SB.

Obviously SqueezeCenter has weather plugins but since I want to use SqueezeNetwork, I'd like to have a weather plugin that works without needing SqueezeCenter.

Obviously the SB has the functinality it needs to obtain this, so I suspect this is not a fundamental difficulty -- or even, necessarily, an imposition on SqueezeNetwork. The SB could support this in firmware.

Welcome to the forums. I agree with the idea that it would be great if SqueezeNetwork supported some form of weather info Squeezebox line. But it's extremely unlikely to go in the firmware -- the SB hardware is pretty much maxed out with the functions already in the firmware. More likely would be if SN had an official weather plugin, which could send the appropriate information based on user location specified in the SN account.

Also, by making some smart choices on server hardware and power management you can run an SC server for a lot less than $40/year of electricity. For example, my SC server only draws 23w when running full-out. Where I live that adds up about $33/year. By setting it to suspend when my SBs have been idle for 30 minutes, the server actually spends most of its time "sleeping", when it only draws 3w. Total electricity cost for the server is about $1/month. And I get full lossless quality music instead of crummy MP3.

aubuti
2009-02-28, 11:18
I forgot to mention that you can vote for this as an enhancement request on bugzilla: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4441