PDA

View Full Version : Bored with Slimserver 6.2.1

joek
2006-04-18, 17:29
The last "officially" released software (slimserver 6.2.1 and f/w 28) was five months ago. Seems a bit lengthy. I prefer released software (no nightly or beta), because I don't want to tinker and troubleshoot - "It's All About The Music" of course.

mherger
2006-04-18, 23:19
> The last "officially" released software (slimserver 6.2.1 and f/w 28)
> was five months ago. Seems a bit lengthy. I prefer released software
> (no nightly or beta), because I don't want to tinker and troubleshoot -
> "It's All About The Music" of course.

Hmm... I don't understand: you don't want the adventurous pre-release
experience, but assume stable software boring? Please explain your
problem... :-)

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

smc2911
2006-04-19, 02:28
I'd also add that there's betas and there's betas. I've found 6.5b1 to be better than some "stable" software!

smc2911
2006-04-19, 03:33
Did I speak too soon? http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23110

EDIT: Sorted within 10mins, so no I didn't!

joek
2006-04-19, 05:13
> The last "officially" released software (slimserver 6.2.1 and f/w 28)
> was five months ago. Seems a bit lengthy. I prefer released software
> (no nightly or beta), because I don't want to tinker and troubleshoot -
> "It's All About The Music" of course.

Hmm... I don't understand: you don't want the adventurous pre-release
experience, but assume stable software boring? Please explain your
problem... :-)

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

No problems, just general discussion. I monitor the forums on a regular basis and see lots of problems and bugs that are being fixed. I also see new features put into nightly builds and beta versions. It would nice to have some of those in a "officially" released "stable" version. Five months seems long, especially when comparing to the prior release history.

Slimsever is stable, but I can repeatly make both my SB3's lockup by simply pressing the ffwd button on my remote - I have to pull the power cord to clear it. I would actually use the ffwd function if it didn't lock the SB3. Not to mention the occasional problem like an MP3 song that just decides to stop playing - I wasn't cooking with the microwave or talking on my cordless phone.

funkstar
2006-04-19, 05:27
The 6.2.2 nightly branch is for bug fixes only, so in theory after each change it gets more and more stable. SD are working on the wireless compatability with the firmware right now. Once they are happy with that, 6.2.2 will go public. You shouldn't have any problems with it i don't think.

6.5 on the other hand is a working Beta and under heavy development. Although it is mostly stable, there are times when partial changes my break something until the change is complete. Changing of how the template system for the web interface works is a relatively recent example.

kbeast
2006-04-19, 15:55
Not that I was bored for a new release, but I wanted to be up to date, so I kind of felt the same way in a sense..

I've been using 6.2.2 nightlies, but the artwork problem has been dragging me down...so I decided to install 6.2.1 again, and, installing it on top kept everything else in tacked...

so now I'm running 6.2.1 Build 6951. about a day behind...that works for me, artwork problem resolved, and I have latest firmwares and nice fixes..