PDA

View Full Version : SB3 kills DAB reception

finnie
2006-04-18, 06:06
Just plugged one of my SB3s into my new Yamaha DAB reviever and amp.

As soon as I apply power to the SB it kills all DAB reception.

I suspect that this may be due to the WIFI transceiver in the SB, but has anyone else found this side effect ?

Regards,

Andrew.

Paul Webster
2006-04-18, 12:26
I have an SB2 sitting a few inches above my Technics DAB radio - and the reception doesn't change whether or not the SQ2 is on.
I know that the Sb2 and SB3 are not exactly the same - but I would have expected the wireless characteristics to be pretty similar ... with the SB2 and its external antenna perhaps being even noisier.
The Technics radio is just using a dangling wire antenna (I'm in London with OK reception).

Maybe try fiddling with the channel on your wi-fi router and see if it makes any difference.

tomsi42
2006-04-18, 12:48
Just plugged one of my SB3s into my new Yamaha DAB reviever and amp.

As soon as I apply power to the SB it kills all DAB reception.

I suspect that this may be due to the WIFI transceiver in the SB, but has anyone else found this side effect ?

Regards,

Andrew.

IT can be the wifi. You can test that by using a cable instead. Apparently the SB turns of Wifi.

You can also try to move the powersupply further away from the reciever.

saday
2007-06-25, 01:50
I've just connected my SB3 to a Pure DMX-60. I can confirm applying the power kills DAB reception.

I'll try the cable option (if I've one long enough...) but it's not a solution for me as there's no way I can leave a perament cable trailing through 3 rooms of the house to reach the SB3 !! That was the whole point of WiFi for me...

If it's the WiFi causing the problem (more than likely) then it's a bit of a problem in our digital world is it not ??

It's going to be a real turn-off (literally) if I have to keep powering the SB3 on and off when I want to use the DAB radio...not all stations are available over the internet...

ceejay
2007-06-25, 03:09
I've just connected my SB3 to a Pure DMX-60. I can confirm applying the power kills DAB reception.

I'll try the cable option (if I've one long enough...) but it's not a solution for me as there's no way I can leave a perament cable trailing through 3 rooms of the house to reach the SB3 !! That was the whole point of WiFi for me...

If it's the WiFi causing the problem (more than likely) then it's a bit of a problem in our digital world is it not ??

It's going to be a real turn-off (literally) if I have to keep powering the SB3 on and off when I want to use the DAB radio...not all stations are available over the internet...

I suspect you will find this is more due to the SB's external power supply than the wi-fi. I found that it completely killed FM reception on an adjacent radio. I reduced the problem by adding a ferrite core to the wire from PS to SB, and more or less eliminated it by changing from the stock Switching PSU to a Linear one. See the audiophile board for many threads on Linear PSUs!

HTH
Ceejay

saday
2007-06-25, 09:50
Thanks CeeJay. Will do some testing if I can get the PSU far enough away but still get the SB to reach the DAB radio. There's aleady a core on the PSU cable.

DAB radio has just died anyway by the looks of it...!

If the PSU is a problem, why don't you ship linear PSU's ? (Not read about them as yet).

Heuer
2007-06-25, 10:56
My WiFi SB3 is sitting on top of my Pure DAB radio and runs into the AUX sockets without problems. Using standard wall wart PSU with ferrite core - DAB and FM reception is not affected. BUT .... I am running an external (roof mounted) aerial - maybe that is the answer?