PDA

View Full Version : Windoze XP dropping wireless connection.

hifisteve
2006-04-18, 00:32
Morning everyone.

Well hopefull this time I'll be contributing something rather than just asking for help like I usually do...

I had been having the classic situation where Windoze (XP Pro, SP2 fully updated) kept randomly dropping the wireless connection for no obvious reason and I now seem to have sorted it.

I have a Belkin router and wireless PCI LAN card and I know Belkin get abuse sometimes but it now seems fine.

Basically I did 2 things; logged on to the router and changed the channel to 6 from 11 (11 is the default and I can see 2 other networks on the same channel) and unchecked the 'let Windoze badly managed my network setting' option on the Belkin software.

Since then I've had 97% signal strength and not a single dropped connection.

Of course as you'll see from my other post I can't get Slimserver to start or my SB3 to connect to my PC but at least my internet connection doesn't keep dropping....

MrC
2006-04-18, 08:21
and unchecked the 'let Windoze badly managed my network setting' option on the Belkin software.

Since then I've had 97% signal strength and not a single dropped connection.

Indeed, this is the solution found by many experiencing random disconnects w/WiFi and Windows. Its a well known Windows annoyance, that Microsoft rejects as their responsibility.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-19, 10:12
This is because the Microsoft Wireless Zero Configuration service looks at all the available networks, then "helpfully" connects to the next-strongest one should your existing connection decrease slightly in signal strength.

I have no clue why anyone would ever think this is a good idea.

Also I experienced many problems when both Wireless Zero Configuration and my Intel wireless connection manager were running at the same time - they were always fighting each other, so I disabled the Wireless Zero Configuration service.

Final note: running SlimServer on a device connected wirelessly is a bad idea. Wireless bandwidth problems will be compounded due to the stream going over 2 hops. Some people do this and if it works for them, more power to them, but if you experience wireless bandwidth problems this is the first thing you should address.

hifisteve
2006-04-19, 12:28
Hi Mark.

Thanks for the tip re the WZCS, I've not had these problems myself but as I've opted to let the Belkin software handle things I've disabled it just to be on the safe side.

Raify
2006-04-20, 02:49
Have you checked the advanced settings of the PCI card? I've read about people having problems due to the power saving feature in XP. If you disable that, it might solve the problem.

neilcoburn
2006-04-20, 03:24
Final note: running SlimServer on a device connected wirelessly is a bad idea. Wireless bandwidth problems will be compounded due to the stream going over 2 hops. Some people do this and if it works for them, more power to them, but if you experience wireless bandwidth problems this is the first thing you should address.

I agree - having moved house, it was no longer practical to have my wireless router and the PC running SlimServer in the same room, so I tried to run it wirelessly, with constant problems. My solution was to replace the wireless from PC to router with a new 85mps Homeplug set-up (which sends ethernet via the mains wiring), and it works really well. Not a cheap solution, but solidly reliable.

Michaelwagner
2006-04-20, 05:26
people having troubles with windows xp sp2 wireless zero configuration service might find the following article helpful (or not).

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack 2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702/en-us

FWIW, I upgraded to sp2 solely for this feature. sp1 is way worse in this regard. Now my computer does disconnect sometimes, but I'm not streaming music via this connection, so dropouts of a few seconds don't matter for this usage.