PDA

View Full Version : SB3 rarely finds slimserver...

ajo115
2006-04-17, 19:33
Hello,
I have had my new SB3 for the past two weeks and have enjoyed it quite a bit. However, I have had one nagging problem: while Internet radio has been working like a charm over my 802.11g connection, my SB3 RARELY finds my PC running SlimServer over my wireless connection. I'm sure this sounds a bit weird, as most of the posts of people having this problem seem to indicate that they NEVER can get their SB3 to talk to their PC. In the past two weeks, I have had it work exactly three times, during which I have enjoyed listening to my music collection until I either turned off the SB3 or switched over to Internet Radio.

Here are the details of my setup:
-Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop running Windows XP SP1
-D-Link DWL-G630 802.11G wifi PCMCIA card
-Netgear WGR614v5 Wireless router (setup for channel 11 and 802.11g only)
-SqueezeBox 3 with Firmware version 41
-Motorola Cable modem hooked into my outside cable
-SlimServer version 6.2.2 build 6933 (also tried the 6.2.1 release and it hasn't made a difference)

-I've tried WEP on and off, neither of which makes a difference (since Internet radio worked perfectly, I didn't think this would have any effect)

-I've tried both DHCP and static IP addresses for both my laptop and my SB3, and it didn't seem to make a difference. In my current setup, my laptop is statically set to 192.168.1.2 and my SB3 is statically set to 192.168.1.3. Subnet mask for both are 255.255.255.0, and Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1

-Often, SlimServer won't be able to find my SB3 on the network either, and when it does it doesn't seem to be able to control it (i.e., when I attempt to play a song from SB3's web interface in SlimServer, it doesn't seem to play)

-From my SB3, when I try to connect to SlimServer (I have to provide it the IP address of my PC, 192.168.1.2, manually), I get the "Connecting to SlimServer...", and it typically comes back with a "Can't Connect...use left arrow to go back or right arrow to try again" (paraphrased). Oddly enough, for the last day or so, the SB3 screen simply goes blank after about 4 seconds of "Connecting to SlimServer...". I did turn on automatic upgrades on my SB3 for a few days, and I believe I saw one upgrage take place.

-From my laptop, I can ping 192.168.1.3 (my SB3) just fine. These are the only devices on my network.

-I have opened up the necessary ports on my PC (under Control Panel->Network Connections->Wireless Network Connection->Properties->Advanced Tab->Settings>Services, I added ports 3483 and 9000, though I don't think this has made a difference)

-I turned on port-forwarding on my router for the above ports, though the three times it has successfully found my music collection were BEFORE I opened these ports up (i.e., I don't think this makes a difference)

-I do run McAfee Security Center, but I don't have thier Personal Firewall Plus product running (just their virus scanner).

-I have tried to hard-wire my PC directly in the SB3 (with a crossover ethernet cable), and the same IP addresses as mentioned above. While Internet radio obviously didn't work, my SB3 did connect to SlimServer without any problems (leads me to believe that it is something screwy in my router).

Anyway, I read through a bunch of posts that all spoke of problems getting their SB3 to talk over wireless to their PC, but typically the person posting doesn't have ANY success. Since I have had marginal success (i.e., everything worked fine 3 different times, on 3 different days), it seems like my setup is sort-of working. Any tips out their for an SB3 newbie to try out to see if I can get my music collection to be consistently found by my SB3?

Much appreciated for any and all help,
John O

ceejay
2006-04-17, 23:53
OK, just to confirm then, at the point when its not working (unable to find slimserver)

- slimserver is definitely running (verified by accessing via the web browser) ?

- you can switch over to SqueezeNetwork and listen to stuff there (proving you have a network connection) ?

If this is the case then it sounds very like a Firewall problem. You might want to try uninstalling McAfee, not just turning off the firewall.

And you are right about the port forwarding - this is not needed here - its for connecting devices outside your router into your slimsever.

Ceejay

ajo115
2006-04-18, 04:45
For confirmation :-)
-SlimServer is definitely running (assuming that me browsing to localhost:9000 and seeing the web GUI is sufficient) when I am unable to connect

-I can listen to Internet radio (i.e., connecto to SqueezeNetowork) whenever I try, and have never had a problem with this (and I LOVE this feature, which is why not accessing my music collection hasn't been too much of a pain yet)

-I will try to un-install McAfee and see if it makes a difference...any other ideas out there? And thanks for the confirmation on the port forwarding on my router. I was thinking this shouldn't be necessary, but I thought I would try it anyway.

Much appreciated,
John

columbo1492
2006-05-04, 23:13
Yes I'm having the same issue. Everything was working for the first day or so then connection works only sometimes. I can ping sb3 and it is playing internet radio fine. I have ZA and turned it off and still no connection.

Siduhe
2006-05-05, 03:13
Hello,
However, I have had one nagging problem: while Internet radio has been working like a charm over my 802.11g connection, my SB3 RARELY finds my PC running SlimServer over my wireless connection. I'm sure this sounds a bit weird, as most of the posts of people having this problem seem to indicate that they NEVER can get their SB3 to talk to their PC. In the past two weeks, I have had it work exactly three times, during which I have enjoyed listening to my music collection until I either turned off the SB3 or switched over to Internet Radio.

Have you considered the possibility of wireless interference ? What you describe above sounds a bit like another wireless network being switched on nearby, on the same or a similar channel to yours, and interfering with your set up. It probably isn't on all the time but is only switched on sometimes, which is why you get this problem intermittently.

I would try downloading Netstumbler (free) which will search for wireless networks in your area. When you experience this problem next, immediately open up Netstumbler and see if there is another network on channel 11 or one of the overlapping channels.

If so, you can try to identify the best channel for your network which will move you away from this one. I have several other networks near me on 6, 10 and 11, so 1 works very well for me.

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-05, 05:41
Yes I'm having the same issue. Everything was working for the first day or so then connection works only sometimes. I can ping sb3 and it is playing internet radio fine. I have ZA and turned it off and still no connection.

Check http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

columbo1492
2006-05-10, 09:17
Actually the sb3 is hardwired to belkin router. Once I reset the sb3 pc reconnected to sb3. Then I restarted pc and no connection to sb3. Even though sb3 can see pc and play internet radio.