PDA

View Full Version : using Squeezebox as alarm clock

Vulture
2006-04-17, 08:24
Hello,

I'm thinking on buying a squeezebox to replace my alarm clock in the bedroom.
I just had one question.
I found that the Squeezebox is one of the few streaming audio devices that has alarm clock functionality.

What I want to know is, is it necessary for this functionality to have the server part running?
I found that a lot of functionality is via the server running on a pc somewhere in the house. This is fine, but it would be nice for the alarm function to work just with the Squeezebox itself.
It would be a shame if I didn't come on time at my work because my pc crashed during the night...

Can someone explain me more about the alarm clock functionality?
And some other thing.
Do I need to have the Squeezebox turned on all the time, or is there a 'powersave' function that just displays the time/date/rss feed/recepies/or whatever?

thank you

snarlydwarf
2006-04-17, 08:30
You need either your own server or be logged into squeezenetwork for the alarms. The Squeezebox itself doesn't have any idea what time is, let alone what time it is.

As for power-saving mode: it has 3 states. On-and-playing, On-and-not-playing and Off. Off isn't really off, though: it's really the same as on-and-not-playing except you can choose to display different things when 'Off'.

Vulture
2006-04-17, 22:14
OK,

is it possible to set the alarm time via the remote, or do I have to set it from my pc?

snarlydwarf
2006-04-18, 00:58
You can set it from the remote.

Vulture
2006-04-18, 04:19
OK,

thank you,
I think this will be functional enough for me.

stuorguk
2006-05-25, 06:17
OK,

thank you,
I think this will be functional enough for me.

Whilst my Squeezebox/Server has been totally reliable for as long as I can remember, it's worth pointing out that if your server/squeezebox/network fails during the night, the alarm won't work. For this reason, I use a normal battery backed alarm clock too for piece of mind.

As a devise for listening to audio in bed, it's unbeatable.

Stuart.

aubuti
2006-05-25, 07:27
Whilst my Squeezebox/Server has been totally reliable for as long as I can remember, it's worth pointing out that if your server/squeezebox/network fails during the night, the alarm won't work.
And as part of this, also remember that if you're relying on squeezenetwork (e.g., your pc is powered off), then the alarm functioning depends not only on your own network, but also on the reliability of your ISP and the servers at squeezenetwork.com.