PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeNetwork and Squeezebox Versions

baconrad
2006-04-16, 20:31
It looks like I need Squeezebox V3 to use Squeeze Network? I'm not sure if my SB is V1 or 2...if I had to guess, I think 2. Definitely not 3. I see that the firmware is V40. I added the SN option to the menu but I get a message that I need a newer Squeezebox.

It seems to me the integration would be at the software level,not the hardware. Is this a marketing decision or a hardware limitation? I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if it were the former. It seems I should be able to use it with the SB applet simulation.

It appears that SN is simply a way to store favorites for your Internet radio stations and to have it stream directly from your router/modem, bypassing your computer. (Hmmm....I guess if it bypasses your computer, it does bypass the software and integrate at the Squeezebox itself.) Is there more to it...am I missing something?

snarlydwarf
2006-04-16, 21:04
v40 firmware would be a SB1, so that's why it doesn't work for you.

It does take software on the SB2/3 in order to make Squeezenetwork work.

So, yes, it's done at the software level, or more precisely, the firmware level. The faster CPU and more memory are why the SB2/3 can do use Squeezenetwork, but not the SB1. There just isn't enough free memory in the SB1 for it.

andyg
2006-04-16, 21:54
On Apr 17, 2006, at 12:04 AM, snarlydwarf wrote:

>
> v40 firmware would be a SB1, so that's why it doesn't work for you.
>
> It does take software on the SB2/3 in order to make Squeezenetwork
> work.
>
> So, yes, it's done at the software level, or more precisely, the
> firmware level. The faster CPU and more memory are why the SB2/3 can
> do use Squeezenetwork, but not the SB1. There just isn't enough free
> memory in the SB1 for it.

Right, SN requires direct streaming which is not supported on the
SB1. The SB1 requires SlimServer to pass-through all the audio
whereas SB2/3 can connect directly to audio servers and stream mp3/
wma content.

matthew
2006-04-19, 13:43
It would have been nice to know this before I paid to sign up for pandora with my v1 unit. Perhaps someone can add a note to the web site that a v2/3 unit is required?

Also, is it at all possible to upgrade a v1 unit to v2? Or would I need to cough up another $250 to get pandora on my squeezebox?

abdomen
2006-04-19, 13:49
It would have been nice to know this before I paid to sign up for pandora with my v1 unit. Perhaps someone can add a note to the web site that a v2/3 unit is required?

Also, is it at all possible to upgrade a v1 unit to v2? Or would I need to cough up another $250 to get pandora on my squeezebox?
The (internal) hardware is entirely different, so upgrading is not possible. There may be a market for your SB1 on ebay (I haven't looked).

aubuti
2006-04-19, 13:54
The (internal) hardware is entirely different, so upgrading is not possible. There may be a market for your SB1 on ebay (I haven't looked).

Yes, there is definitely a market for SB1s on eBay. In recent auctions wireless SB1s have fetched US$125 to 175. And a Slimp3 just went for over 100 pounds (about US$180)!!

toddler
2006-05-28, 14:52
Wouldn't it be possible for slimserver to connect to Pandora so we could enjoy it on V1 squeezeboxen?

Whatever V2/3 is doing in firmware in combination with the squeezenetwork must be possible from perl.