PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect SB1 to Linksys WRT54G Wirelessly

dennitzio
2006-04-16, 18:17
I'm setting this up for my mother; she had it working a couple of years ago but now we have a whole new setup and she wants it to work again. The Linksys router works fine, and is running the latest firmware. I was able to get the SB1 to connect to the server over Ethernet (the server is running wirelessly) and update to the latest firmware.

But when I try to connect to the network wirelessly it simply times out - I don't even get an option to choose DHCP or fixed IP. I've rebooted many times, both devices. Any ideas? I am leaving tomorrow AM (CAL time) so I'd love any ideas that I can try (esp. if they don't require a lot of questions).

We're running Macs entirely, all using the latest OS and SW (v.6.2.1 server, v.40 firmware) and I'm not having any other problems than this one setting. I can't leave it running off Ethernet; the box just isn't near a wire.

Ideas?

jth
2006-04-16, 19:03
No problems here with a WRT54G v4.0 and 3 SB1s. Maybe
try turning off WEP.

dennitzio
2006-04-16, 21:42
no WEP or any other encryption. Everything vanilla, still not working.

kolding
2006-04-16, 23:48
Check that you have it in both 802.11b and 802.11g. I'm not sure what the default mode is, but it is possible to make the WRT54g work only in 802.11g mode, in which case, the SB1, which only speaks 802.11b, won't be able to connect at all.

Eric

ezkcdude
2006-04-17, 04:45
Ideas?

Call Linksys. They can help you.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-19, 05:57
You're sure you have the right SSID? I don't know about you, but I have ~5 "linksys" WLANs in range. :-)

MAC address filtering deactivated?

mschlack
2006-04-19, 18:28
I recently had to subnet my wireless network because the paranoids at my wife's job require WPA for wireless on her laptop. So I had to attach a second router with just WEP for the SB1. Here's what I found to be the fatal configuration "errors":

If you set the Linksys WRT54G to mixed mode, it may not work. Make sure it's set to just "B".

If you assign a fixed IP address to the SB1, it may not work.

You may have to input the SlimServer's IP address into the Squeezebox, which means it must have a static address.

I believe that those three things, together, should get you up and running.