PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver player graphics not always showing

pfurrie
2006-04-16, 07:20
When I browse to my Slimserver web page, I often find that many (most) of the player graphics don't show.

If I refresh the browser, maybe additional ones will show, maybe current ones will not show. If I right-click on a box where a graphic should have shown, and I choose "Show Picture," the graphic will dutifully display (however, a subsequent refresh may well make that graphic not appear again).

I'm including a partial screenshot which shows what I'm seeing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Pat

funkstar
2006-04-16, 09:58
What browser are you using?

What platform/os is the browser running on?

What OS is slimserver running on?

What version of slimserver are you running?

:)

pfurrie
2006-04-16, 11:40
What browser are you using?
What platform/os is the browser running on?
What OS is slimserver running on?
What version of slimserver are you running?
:)

Sorry 'bout that... I should know better. :(

Browser : IE 6 SP2
Server OS : Windows Server 2003 Enterprise
Slimserver : 6.2.1
Active Perl : 5.8.7 build 815

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-18, 11:25
Since you list two OSes here I assume you're browsing to it from another PC.

Is there sufficient network bandwidth to get these images to load?

Also you're using Windows Server 2003, which is unusual. I believe it should work but there may be some issues which aren't often encountered because there are very few installations in a home environment. A forum search would help here except it doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment.

If you're using SlimServer as a service you may want to give it higher priority? Just a guess here.

radish
2006-04-18, 11:35
Do you have any fancy options for http pipelining enabled in your IE install? That can cause similar issues with lots of servers.

pfurrie
2006-04-19, 05:05
Since you list two OSes here I assume you're browsing to it from another PC.

Yes. I'm typically accessing the server from my laptop computer over a wireless network.

Is there sufficient network bandwidth to get these images to load?

Yep. Can do this with little else going across the network (as in: nothing). The network is wireless, 802.11g, and I'm in line-of-sight of the router. Windows indicates excellent signal strength and a speed of 54 Mbps. No other computers are on the network at the moment, and the only thing I'm doing on my computer is typing what you're reading.

Also, consider that the graphics for the volume numbers size in at the sub-100 byte range (the number 1 graphic is a paltry 85 bytes), I don't think it should be a problem).

Additionally, they will load fine if I right click the empty graphic marker in IE and select "Load Picture." That should also make sure the image is in the cache. But then I do a page refresh, and the image doesn't show, an image I know to be in my cache, so bandwith isn't an issue.

Also you're using Windows Server 2003, which is unusual. I believe it should work but there may be some issues which aren't often encountered because there are very few installations in a home environment. A forum search would help here except it doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment.

Yes, it is unusual. I had our home server running Windows XP Pro some time back (pre-Slimserver), but an associate who had won a copy of Server 2003 at a Microsoft event had no need of it, and offered it to me. Anything good enough for the office is good enough for home, I say. Operationally, it is more secure than its predecessors, but has no problems running other software (to the best of my knowledge). Note: when I finally click on enough "buttons" in the Slimserver interface, it will begin to behave better, and finally at some point it will start showing all the graphics. Hmmm. I just tested it. When playing, it seems to send the graphics much better (all of them), and when refreshing the screen when in pause, many of the graphics don't show up, as I described before). Is this a clue?

UPDATE: I went back and checked -- if I do a page refresh, even when Slimserver is in play mode, I can end up with many of the graphics not showing. Odd that, when I *start* the unit playing by clicking on the Play link, most or all of the graphics end up appearing at that moment. Then press refresh to get a page with lots of graphics missing...

If you're using SlimServer as a service you may want to give it higher priority? Just a guess here.

Server is already set to give best performance to background services, and typically nobody is even logged in locally (and normally not remoted in, either). I do have several active shares mapped off of the server to my laptop, but that isn't consuming any processor cycles or network bandwidth. Looking at Task Manager on the server, it is about 97% idle on the CPU, and the machine has lots of RAM. The server twiddling its thumbs. Serving up the Slimserver web pages should hardly cause a blip.

Hmmmmmm......

pfurrie
2006-04-19, 05:12
Do you have any fancy options for http pipelining enabled in your IE install? That can cause similar issues with lots of servers.

Nope. Very generic install on the client computer. Only running AVG Free as my anti-virus, no extra firewalls or third-party popup blockers, just using Windows XP firewall and popup blocker, and running Windows Defender for anti-spyware.

Pat