PDA

View Full Version : Remind me what I did about slimserver.log

trebejo
2006-04-15, 23:09
Ok, time for you to play Vulcan mindmeld and tap into my sleepy memory cells.

Some time ago, I noticed an outrageous growth in the file slimserver.log, due to my unwitting attempt to slap id3 tags on flac files. I was older then...

Among my decisions at the time was to relocate said file so that in future sneaky inexplicable symptom scenarios, the disk that would be filled to the brim would not be the system disk.

I'm not sure that I want to change that decision just yet, but I am puzzled at the fact that no matter how thoroughly I wipe out the slimserver install (something I've done a few times), the log file returns to that non-standard location where I relocated it (even when it is wiped out during those re-installs).

Looking through the files where I expect to find this setting, I see no mention of slimserver.log. I'm beginning to think that the squeezebox has even greater control over my conciousness than I previously realized.

If you know the answer, please ease my mind and remind me of how I managed to relocate slimserver.log. I'm running a Mac, OS 10.4.latest, fwiw.

Cheers,

Ariel

Marc Sherman
2006-04-16, 06:22
trebejo wrote:
>
> I'm not sure that I want to change that decision just yet, but I am
> puzzled at the fact that no matter how thoroughly I wipe out the
> slimserver install (something I've done a few times), the log file
> returns to that non-standard location where I relocated it (even when
> it is wiped out during those re-installs).

Did you maybe put the --logfile switch in your start script? That's
something that people usually don't wipe out in an upgrade/reinstall.

- Marc

trebejo
2006-04-16, 08:31
Did you maybe put the --logfile switch in your start script? That's
something that people usually don't wipe out in an upgrade/reinstall.

Eh... did I really do that?

I'm on a Mac. I just click and grin. :)

btw I did look at my .*rc files and nothing looked relevant.

It's bizarre. I delete the usual suspects (~/Library/SlimDevices, ~/Library/Caches/SlimServer, ~/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane, and ~/Library/Preferences/com.slimdevices.slim.plist). For all intents and purposes, that results in a brand new install... except for the log file!

I am beginning to suspect the squeezebox itself...

danco
2006-04-16, 09:16
I found some modifcations (not SlimServer related) in a .profile file somewhere in my home folder. You could make all invisible files visible (use TinkerTool) and just look at any that give the vaguest sign of being relevant.

On a different but related matter, does slimserver.log just increase without limit, or is a new log created when it gets big enough? I see that my log is over 100Mb and began last November. I can't see the need of a log that goes more than a couple of weeks back.

trebejo
2006-04-16, 09:35
Tinkertool! Cool little app, thanks.

Naturally, for us terminal users there are no hidden files, as long as we use ls -al.

I just ran grep lim .* and grep log .* in my home directory and got nothing relevant.

The thing is, I could have sworn that it was a line in slimserver.pref, but no, it's not in there.

btw the log file is indeed monotonically increasing, which also bugs me as it seems like there should be an easy way to set a cap on it. Once again, consider the abused example of the older, allegedly computer-clueless user that uses the squeezebox and one fine day discovers that his system drive is no longer accepting any bytes. That would be a very very bad scenario, probably requiring a trip to the local apple store to talk to someone at the "genius" bar.

Anyway, I periodically cat /dev/null onto the log file and leave it at that. Last night I made a point of actually reading the thing and I was able to clean up my music files of unwanted .cue confusers and non-flac files posing as such. So there is some useful information in it, but its growth could use better monitoring.

trebejo
2006-04-16, 09:44
Aha!

$ ls -al ~/Library/Logs/slimserver.log

shows a soft link to my firewire array. So I *did* do that on purpose.

Let's do the easy thing and blame Finder. You go to Finder, type "slim" in its little search box, and it will find everything... except this soft link. I don't know why.

Sometimes OS X is not the best unix...

danco
2006-04-16, 15:06
I had just thought of that answer, and was going to suggest it to you.

I've just found (using the Help Viewer and looking for Spotlight) a document indicating that most of the Library folder is not searched.

Marc Sherman
2006-04-17, 04:52
trebejo wrote:
>>
>> Did you maybe put the --logfile switch in your start script? That's
>> something that people usually don't wipe out in an upgrade/reinstall.
>
> Eh... did I really do that?
>
> I'm on a Mac. I just click and grin. :)

Don't you think it might have been a good idea to mention that in your
first message?

- Marc

Robin Bowes
2006-04-17, 05:28
Marc Sherman wrote:
> trebejo wrote:
>>> Did you maybe put the --logfile switch in your start script? That's
>>> something that people usually don't wipe out in an upgrade/reinstall.
>> Eh... did I really do that?
>>
>> I'm on a Mac. I just click and grin. :)
>
> Don't you think it might have been a good idea to mention that in your
> first message?

(S)he did:

> If you know the answer, please ease my mind and remind me of how I
> managed to relocate slimserver.log. I'm running a Mac, OS 10.4.latest,
> fwiw.

R.

Marc Sherman
2006-04-17, 05:31
Robin Bowes wrote:
>
> (S)he did:
>
>> If you know the answer, please ease my mind and remind me of how I
>> managed to relocate slimserver.log. I'm running a Mac, OS 10.4.latest,
>> fwiw.

Whoops, I'm an idiot. Sorry about that.

- Marc

trebejo
2006-04-17, 07:48
I had just thought of that answer, and was going to suggest it to you.

I've just found (using the Help Viewer and looking for Spotlight) a document indicating that most of the Library folder is not searched.

That's remarkable. I would actually insist on that as one of the prime directories to search through. Maybe it's a *feature*.

Oh well. I suppose that after deleting all that the usual search finds, one can go to terminal and do something like this:

$ cd ~/Library
$ find . -name \*slim\* \;

and take it from there. On a systemwide install, use sudo and go a bit higher (or lower depending on how you define it) in the filesystem.

Cheers,

Ariel

danco
2006-04-17, 08:51
What Apple actually says is

All Home folders (local and network-based, as well as FileVault and non-FileVault). This includes:
The Documents, Movies, Music, and Pictures folders
The Trash of all users and each mounted volume.
~/Library/Metadata/
~/Library/Caches/Metadata/
~/Library/Mail/
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.AddressBook/Metadata/
~/Library/PreferencePanes/

Seems a touch inconsistent to me, as "All Home folders" should mean the whole of the ~/Library. But part of the issue is that it can search the contents of files, as well as file names, and one probably would not want it to look at the contents of log files or preferences.

The document goes on to say

Spotlight also searches these non-Home folder locations by default:
/Library/PreferencePanes/
/System/Library/PreferencePanes/
/Applications
Can Spotlight search anywhere else? Of course! Any new folder you create in your Home automatically gets indexed so that it's searchable. If you connect an external storage device, such as a USB or FireWire hard drive, Spotlight will index the stuff on it, too.