PDA

View Full Version : Problems!SB3

Daveo
2006-04-15, 11:43
Help please, I have 2 Squeezebox 3s, one of them works perfectly , the other will not recognise the wireless network, I have done factory resets, The IP range is set right, Ive tried it on another network and its fine, but it just won't have it at all on mine. Any suggestions anyone? If they both didn't work I'd be happier because I'd know it was me, but the one is great! I'm hoping it's something really stupid! Ive tried hardwiring and coping all the addresses into the settings, absoutely everything matches, my son works in IT and even he is suggesting hardwiring , but it has to be something simple?
Thanks in advance.

Wirrunna
2006-04-15, 20:43
Daveo, At the risk of insulting you, have you tried swapping the units over ?
Next is to try a patch cable ethernet connection, if it works via cable then it is a wireless network problem.
Check out the wiki http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToNetworks

There were some reports in the forums a while ago of the wireless network card not being seated properly or being faulty, so if it works via a cable check with Tech Support http://www.slimdevices.com/su_tech.html

Daveo
2006-04-16, 01:23
Hi

Yes the units have been swapped, This offending unit works perfectly well on the ethernet and will work on my sons wireless network! Previous to trying that I did look at the card to see if was seated correctly. Everything appears to be ok? But it just will not past the cannot connect to wireless network stage. Completely baffled here?!

Wirrunna
2006-04-16, 02:12
"This offending unit works perfectly well on the ethernet and will work on my sons wireless network!"

Daveo, I suggest that you take the "offending unit" and your offending wireless router over to your son's house and the two of you start swapping and configuring. If you can get it going there on your wireless router and it still doesn't connect when you get home then there is some local interference and you will have to try different channels, turning the microwave off etc.

Siduhe
2006-04-16, 04:17
You haven't got MAC address filtering switched on your router by any chance ? Not sure why this would work via ethernet and not otherwise, but worth a thought.

Daveo
2006-04-16, 05:31
No, no MAC address filtering on, it did work for a little while and then suddenly stopped and this problem occured. I have had it set up directly next to the router, so am sure there are no stray signals getting in the way. I have reset and renamed the router, changed channels, checked it set to 6.2.1 with firmwear 28 installed. It is almost as though a complete reboot is needed, as if their is a glitch in this machine stopping it from working?

Siduhe
2006-04-16, 05:50
To do a straight reboot of the SB, press and hold the power button. To do a factory reset (back to default state) hold down the add/+ button while unplugging the SB from power and keep it down when you plug power back in.

There is a known problem with mac addresses getting corrupted somehow and preventing connection to the network (even without filtering turned on) - it's never happened to me, but it may be worth checking in your case. The mac address should be printed on the bottom of your SB. When you reset the SB, scroll to "view current settings". One of these should be the mac address that the SB thinks it has - is it the same as the one printed on the bottom ? If not, I think you press right to change it manually.

HTH

Daveo
2006-04-16, 07:46
Rebooted OK, and mac address checked OK and re-entered just in case, still maintaining the cannot connect to wireless network though?

Siduhe
2006-04-16, 07:56
Hmmm, I'm running out of ideas, are you definitely broadcasting the SSID of the network in question ?

What router are you using and which version of slimserver ?

Daveo
2006-04-16, 08:19
Yes the SSID is correct, I'm using a D-link DSLG604T Slimware version is 6.2 and for a little while they both worked happily, now only the one does. It really has me baffled.

Siduhe
2006-04-16, 10:04
I'm sure you've thought of this / done this, but have you tried a full reboot of the router ?

Millwood
2006-04-16, 11:19
If you haven't, you might turn off the other SB3 (the working one) completely - unplug it - and see if that makes a difference.

If the bad one suddenly works, then you should go throught the reset/mac address drill with the other box.

And do all of this with all security and mac filtering turned off.

Daveo
2006-04-16, 13:38
OK The plot thickens! If I disconnect the working sb3, then the bad one will work, but I then get exactly the same problem with that one and it will not work with the other box connected. Thanks for your help so far, hopefully we're getting there, any ideas as to why this happens?

JJZolx
2006-04-16, 15:23
OK The plot thickens! If I disconnect the working sb3, then the bad one will work, but I then get exactly the same problem with that one and it will not work with the other box connected. Thanks for your help so far, hopefully we're getting there, any ideas as to why this happens?
Do you know, when both SBs are running but one is failing, if they've both been given an IP address and are on the network? Or, put another way, do you yet know where the connection is failing?

Where is your DHCP server - on the wireless router? As someone else suggested, do a full power cycling of the router. If that doesn't immediately clear up the problem, check the wireless logs and the DHCP client information. You may find a clue as to what is failing. Examine MAC addresses in that info carefully.

You need to figure out the point where the SB>Server connection is failing: at the wireless connection, a failure in DHCP, or a failure connecting the Slim Server.

Daveo
2006-04-17, 03:55
It appears to be failing at trying to establish a connection with the router, the logs don't show a failed connection as it doesn't appear to be getting that far! The Wireless router is being used as a DHCP Server and I've added the complete range into the firewall just to make sure it isn't that. I've completely reset the router and set it up again, but still have the same problem.

ceejay
2006-04-17, 04:19
they don't both have the same MAC address, by any chance?

Ceejay

Siduhe
2006-04-17, 04:29
It does sound a bit to me like the wireless router is trying to give them the same IP address, which would explain why only one can connect to the network at a time. Have you tried forcing the second SB to a static IP outside the range of your DHCP allocation - so something like 192.168.0.300, or 192.168.1.300 ?

ceejay
2006-04-17, 05:04
It does sound a bit to me like the wireless router is trying to give them the same IP address, which would explain why only one can connect to the network at a time. Have you tried forcing the second SB to a static IP outside the range of your DHCP allocation - so something like 192.168.0.300, or 192.168.1.300 ?

... I think that should be 192.168.0.200 or 192.168.1.200 ...

Ceejay

dwc
2006-04-17, 15:12
I don't know if this will help but it's a thought.

My sb3 actually sits on 2 different ip addresses (bug 2620), one for local connection and the other one I have no idea, but I thought it was used in squeezenetwork. It turns out it may be a cache issue.

I noticed it with a sniffer, otherwise I would not have seen it.

Perhaps your sb3's both have the same address in this "second" ip address slot?

-Dan

ChrisOwens
2006-04-17, 15:27
What kind of security settings are you using? WEP? WPA?

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-17, 17:33

That makes it sound like an IP address conflict.

You say you only have one DHCP server, your router. Have you checked your DSL/cable modem though? They are often set up as DHCP servers as well and if you have two DHCP servers on your network, weirdness results.

Could you list your network devices by IP address? I'd be particularly interested to see where your DHCP pool "stops", i.e. the address of your working SB3. I assume when you swap SBs around, this is the address that the working one is always using and that the non-working one is trying to use the next address in the pool which causes everything to screech to a halt.

That "next" address - is there another device on the network using that address? Do you have enough addresses in your DHCP pool? Will a computer work when you statically assign it the problematic address? (I bet not.)

Wirrunna
2006-04-21, 00:05
Daveo, did you resolve the problem ?
If so, let us all know what it was and how you fixed it.