PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Messages.....

Assonica
2006-04-14, 20:57
Just upgraded to the latest nightly version (14/04 @ 6.5b1 - 6931 XP Pro ) and reflashed back the firmware to 37 and as i checked through the player menu I pushed the the right arrow on the firmware screen and got this message....

"Mamma's got a squeezebox, Daddy never sleeps at night...!"

I didnt notice this on previous firmware versions and presume this to be an easter egg. Is this on other firmwares too? Apologies if its already been in there and the question has already been answered but I only bought it yesterday..... Honest :-)

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-18, 10:06
Certainly sounds like an Easter Egg!

I've never seen it before and it's probably not in the firmware since the firmware is very minimalist. It's probably in the server where there's ample resources to do this and there would be no impact on performance.

Also I can't get the same behaviour with 6.2.2 build 6858 and firmware 37, so I suspect it's the server.

I like seeing stuff like this - shows the developers have a sense of humour. Not surprising with this company though - ever notice that the volume goes to 11? :-)

rtitmuss
2006-04-18, 10:34
Also I can't get the same behaviour with 6.2.2 build 6858 and firmware 37, so I suspect it's the server.

Keep looking ;-)

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-18, 11:32
Keep looking ;-)

LOL!

I tried exactly as Assonica suggested though, but I will keep looking.

autopilot
2006-04-18, 12:02
I also got a 'hidden' message once. Cant remember how or what, but i think it was after a SS/Firmware update.

eq72521
2006-04-18, 14:33
I like seeing stuff like this - shows the developers have a sense of humour. Not surprising with this company though - ever notice that the volume goes to 11? :-)

Somewhere on the website I think that the phrase "This one goes to 11" was used as a tagline.

Also, if you still have it you can check: there is an icon of an accordion on the outside of the packaging among other more normal packaging icons. It was there on the old SB1 packaging and my wife was ["concerned" isn't the right word, but it's the first one that comes to mind] that it wouldn't be on the fancy new "storeshelf ready" SB3 box, but there it was. We were happy that that manifestation of the SD sense of humor remained.

eq72521
2006-04-18, 14:37
Somewhere on the website I think that the phrase "This one goes to 11" was used as a tagline.

I'm too curious to let that lie.

According to a search (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22This+one+goes+to%22+site%3Aslimdevices .com) it was on the the old download page for SlimServer v5.4[.1], which I don't think is accessible anymore.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-18, 15:18
Also, if you still have it you can check: there is an icon of an accordion on the outside of the packaging among other more normal packaging icons. It was there on the old SB1 packaging and my wife was ["concerned" isn't the right word, but it's the first one that comes to mind] that it wouldn't be on the fancy new "storeshelf ready" SB3 box, but there it was. We were happy that that manifestation of the SD sense of humor remained.

I did notice it prominently displayed on my SB2 box along with the fragile and "this side up" symbols.

I didn't see it on my SB3 box though, gotta dig that out.

dean
2006-04-18, 16:41
On Apr 18, 2006, at 3:18 PM, Mark Lanctot wrote:

>
> eq72521 Wrote:
>> Also, if you still have it you can check: there is an icon of an
>> accordion on the outside of the packaging among other more normal
>> packaging icons. It was there on the old SB1 packaging and my
>> wife was
>> ["concerned" isn't the right word, but it's the first one that
>> comes to
>> mind] that it wouldn't be on the fancy new "storeshelf ready" SB3
>> box,
>> but there it was. We were happy that that manifestation of the SD
>> sense of humor remained.
>
> I did notice it prominently displayed on my SB2 box along with the
> fragile and "this side up" symbols.
>
> I didn't see it on my SB3 box though, gotta dig that out.

When you do, notice that the "this direction up" arrow is on the
top. That's a bug, not a feature. :)

funkstar
2006-04-19, 01:52
Obviously she should have been reasured by the icon, an accordian is also known as a squeezebox after all :)

Squeezebox by The Who always makes my smile these days.
http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/s/squeezebox.shtml

pfurrie
2006-04-19, 04:16
I'm too curious to let that lie.

According to a search (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22This+one+goes+to%22+site%3Aslimdevices .com) it was on the the old download page for SlimServer v5.4[.1], which I don't think is accessible anymore.

Check out Internet Archive:
http://web.archive.org/web/20040403192303/www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html