PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Advice

thekidct
2006-04-14, 07:47
My wife got me the wireless Squeezebox for our computer. Problem is, we don't have a wireless network. I would appreciate any suggestions on a wireless network router to purchase so I can set this up. Really only need the router for this, so I'm not looking to spend too much. Any help would be GREAT!!

TCM
2006-04-14, 07:56
If you have wired, ethernet network at home it will work:
from http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_specs.html

Ethernet Interface

* Available on both Wireless and Wired models

thekidct
2006-04-14, 08:03
Don't have Ethernet ( at least don't think so )...so back to a recommendation for an inexpensive wireless router that seems to work for this...any suggestions?

dean
2006-04-14, 08:09
I always recommend the Belkin Pre-N router. It's a little more ($93
on Amazon) than the bottom of the line routers, but it's got
remarkable range. Covers my whole house better than 4 older routers
I had scattered about before.

I'm on vacation in Florida right now and picked up a Netgear WGR614v6
at Radio Shack for $39 and it's working fine and gets from my room to
the pool (where I'm typing this right now) and runs the Squeezebox
I've got hooked up to the hotel-provided boombox without issue.
(It'll go in to the testing pool when I get back to the office...)
So if you aren't worried about range, that seems to be a fine and
cheap solution.

Man, these things are getting cheap!

Now, back to the pool...

TCM
2006-04-14, 08:11
No, I don't have any experience with wireless routers, but could check out the wiki:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToNetworks

At the bottom of that page there's a link to a page where they discuss wireless routers and problems.

thekidct
2006-04-14, 08:52
Thank you to the both of you. When the CTO and a friendly European addresses your question immediately, there must be something to this product. I'm looking forward to setting it up!!!

TCM
2006-04-14, 09:04
Thank you to the both of you. When the CTO and a friendly European addresses your question immediately, there must be something to this product. I'm looking forward to setting it up!!!

Well, we europeans are very friendly :-D, at least the most of us. And yes, I really like the product.

kbeast
2006-04-14, 11:25

looks like I'm a little late to responding, but with someone said about the Belkin pre-N-- Pre-N is the way to go, I personally don't have a Belkin, but I have the Linksys WRT54GX2 v2 at home, which uses the same pre-N chipset as the Belkins, so basically identical, but I perfer Linksys over other brands because of their professional networking expierence (now owned by Cisco)..

at least with the Linksys I own, you can change the atennas, which I have done on my access point to increase its range for devices.

I've actually done tests with my pre-N PCI card where I can see about 20 access points with the stock 3 antennas, and with the new 7dbi gain antennas, I can see an addtional 4...I most likely don't need the high gain antennas, but when I was in a big house it helped..I can achieve about 4MB/sec transfer rates where my b network was capping at about 250k/sec. straight G network doesn't improve much over B from what I have experience, at least as far as signal strength at my parents house..

Basically pre-N uses scatter to find outs its singal...kinda like a RAID-5 for harddrives, but for wifi..works very well at long distances..very worth to go that route if you can....now if I can remember the chipset we'd be all set ;)