PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for server...

TheSaint
2006-04-14, 06:21
Hi guys....

I'm in need of a suggestion:
right now I have all my music in my main desktop...but I'm thinking of getting either a NAS or maybe a used Mac MINI....or build a small Windows box...

what would choose between the three? My budget is very limited as I need ato buy a plasma too....

Thank you

Pale Blue Ego
2006-04-14, 09:39
For the money, it's hard to beat a cheap Dell. Here's one for $349 that includes a 19" LCD (worth $299 by itself!)

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=1d11h11&s=bsd

Bump the RAM to 512 for an extra $50, and this should be all you need no matter how big your collection gets. It's quiet and there's room to add more hard drives.

And if you don't need the 19" LCD, let me know and I'll give ya $200 for it :)

funkstar
2006-04-14, 11:41
It also depends what you want out of the server too. What format is your collection in? If you need to transcode to play it, then your options are reduced, just about all of the NAS solutions don't do transcoding. Do you want to use some of the more demanding plugins (such as AlienBBC) or some of the less common ones? Again, most of the NAS solutions have problems here too.

If it is just "decent hardware for not a lot of money" then the Dell suggestion is a good one. Or you could price out a box from a local supplier that only has the items you need in the server.

TheSaint
2006-04-15, 13:49
Thank you guys :)

Sorry for the late reponse....
Well, my collection is all MP3 (and flac) at 320kb/s VBR using EAC and Lame....

The thought of the Mac mini to act as a server really intrigues me though...

madpatrick
2006-04-16, 00:55
If you want a cheap option, try this.
Buy an old used compaq P3-1000 mhz on the internet for $50-$70 and use the clarkconnect distro (www.clarkconnect.com).

If you want you can use this also as a gateway/mail/web server etc.
It is easy to configure and the slimserver software run without any problems.

swhite58
2006-04-19, 01:21
If you want a cheap option, try this.
Buy an old used compaq P3-1000 mhz on the internet for $50-$70 and use the clarkconnect distro (www.clarkconnect.com).

If you want you can use this also as a gateway/mail/web server etc.
It is easy to configure and the slimserver software run without any problems.

I have done exactly the same thing, only I have an AMD 900 Mhz CPU and 512 Mb RAM. Clarke Connect is brilliant, and the current free distribution comes with Slimserver already installed. Mine also acts as a file, web and print server with plenty of space capacity.

Shane

mikerob
2006-04-19, 02:05
Thank you guys :)

Sorry for the late reponse....
Well, my collection is all MP3 (and flac) at 320kb/s VBR using EAC and Lame....

The thought of the Mac mini to act as a server really intrigues me though...

I use a Mac Mini + external HD as a server and it works fine with my collection of MP3 and Apple Lossless files.

The problem with FLAC on a Mac is the choice and functionality of the software for tagging and organising FLAC files isn't as good as FLAC software for other OSes. Yes, there are some applications available (like Max and Tag) but having tried them, I don't think they are quite mature enough yet.

Of course, you could always get an Intel Mac Mini and run windows on it for managing the FLAC files...