PDA

View Full Version : Changing IP Address

Sunnyvista
2006-04-14, 03:02
Have been using Slimserver 3 for a few weeks now, the problem that I have is that every couple of days cannot connect to slimserver as the IP address keeps changing and I have to reset it. How can this be sorted. Thanks

Siduhe
2006-04-14, 03:51
Probably because you are using your router as a DHCP server (i.e. to allocate IP addresses to everything on your network) ?

There are a couple of ways to deal with this: The first is to allocate everything on your network a static ip and not use the router as a DHCP server. Depending on how familiar you are with wireless technology, this can be a bit fiddly.

The easier way is to increase the length of time your router allocates an IP address for. Somewhere in the router web interface page there should be an option for this (look for "Lease time"). You may even be able to set it to "forever" which will solve the problem permanently. What router are you using ?

Sunnyvista
2006-04-14, 05:17
BT Voyager 2110

Siduhe
2006-04-14, 05:32
Ok, try opening up the Router Page - if you haven't changed this from the default, it will be http://192.168.1.1, click "Local Network", then "DHCP Server" and there is the option "Lease Time". Change that to the longest option available and see if that sorts the problem out.

Sunnyvista
2006-04-14, 05:42
It was set at 1 day. Have changed it to 30 to see if thats OK. Thanks for the input

Pale Blue Ego
2006-04-14, 23:14
What I did was just assigned a static IP to the slimserver machine, and let everything else grab a dynamic IP.

Sunnyvista
2006-04-15, 03:00
As I am not very computer literate, could you please tell me how.

ceejay
2006-04-15, 03:53
As I am not very computer literate, could you please tell me how.

assuming Windows XP;

Control Panel - Network Connections - Local Area Connection - Properties -
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Properties -
Use the following IP address (instead of Obtain an IP address automatically, which means use DHCP)

HTH

Ceejay

Sunnyvista
2006-04-15, 04:07
Sorry for being so dumb, It is XP, but where do I get the address from

Siduhe
2006-04-15, 06:14
You set the static address to whatever the address is that you want the slimserver web interface to have permanently. Given your router setup, this will be something like 192.168.1.x. You need to make sure that it doesn't conflict with anything else on your network.

To set it to the same address as the XP machine is currently - go to Start / Run / type cmd into the box and press enter. In the black box that appears type "ipconfig /all" and press enter. About halfway down the output that appears will be an entry "IP Address". This is the current IP address of the XP machine. Now follow Ceejay's instructions to set it as a static IP.

HTH