PDA

View Full Version : Trouble getting 6.2.2 started

dspeirs
2006-04-12, 21:25
I am working on OSX, 6.2.2 and Mac 10.4.6

I tried 6.5b and was having lots of trouble with the way the skins were showing up (formatting was all messed up). I decided to play it safe and downgrade to 6.2.2. I trashed all Slimserver stuff on the harddrive. Then I download 6.2.2 and installed it.

Now, Slimserver does not automatically start. I open system preferences and tell it to start "When system boots" but it never does (it used to with 6.5b). I then click "Start Server", button changes to "Stop Server" then waits 5 seconds and thn goes back to "Start Server". Why is the server shutting down automatically?

I can't get it to stay on. Any ideas what I messed up?

Dan

kdf
2006-04-12, 22:09
On 12-Apr-06, at 9:25 PM, dspeirs wrote:

>
> I am working on OSX, 6.2.2 and Mac 10.4.6
>
> I tried 6.5b and was having lots of trouble with the way the skins were
> showing up (formatting was all messed up).

that would have been a caching issue. a few quick refreshes should
have cleared it up
unfortunately, no clues as to why 6.2.2 won't actually start.
-k

Siduhe
2006-04-13, 02:34
When you say you trashed all the slimserver stuff - does that include manually deleting your slimserversql.db file (not necessarily deleted on an uninstall via Add / Remove Programs) ?

The database system is very different between 6.5 and 6.2.2. and other people have reported problems downgrading until they delete the database file and allow slimserver to rebuild. Slimserver may be trying to start and crashing when it tried to read the database.

dspeirs
2006-04-14, 18:22
I am using a mac, I don't think we have add/delete program option. Do we?

danco
2006-04-15, 00:11
No, the Mac doesn't have any add/delete program option. That's because manual deletion is easy. There are third-party options if one really wants them.

You did delete the database file (which is one you could easily forget), as well as the preferences and the SlimDevices folder? Most likely cause of the problem is leaving one of the files around.