PDA

View Full Version : World Radio

soupdragon
2006-04-12, 03:40
hi there

a novice to the Squeezebox fraternity.

i like listening to radio which was the principle reason for my SB3 purchase.

i live in UK - so like to listen to home grown stuff a la BBC, as well as World radio.

Some but sparse computer literacy.

SB3 wirelessly connected to www and channeled through HIFI.

Can any sage merlins amongst you guide me to accessing more internet radio than is possible thru the 'standard' out of the box settings on SB3 ?

Is this worth having its own Chapter ?

Liam

ceejay
2006-04-12, 04:21
Sounds like you need AlienBBC ... much discussed in the 3rd Party Plugins forum.

You might also want to look at LastFM (plugin also available).

Ceejay

bpa
2006-04-12, 04:26
With AlienBBC there are a lot of non UK stations besides BBC but are not enabled by default on installation.

You could also try PublicRadioFan.com Browser plugin http://www.malsbury.net/~slim/

Also worth a look look at the Live Music Archive.

By "World Radio" do you prefer talk, news or music ?
Do you want English language only ?

Edit:
One of the hard things abotu web radio is finding the URL to paste into the Tune In box. The following sites has lots of URLS
http://www.mikesradioworld.com/index.html

Khuli
2006-04-12, 06:07
There's also a vast amount of music styles from Live365.com which you can connect to via SqueezeNetwork (though you may have to set up an account on the Live365 website first)

rick's cafe
2006-04-12, 06:22
also there are tons of stations on shoutcast... you may want to identify stations that appeal to you by first visiting shoutcast.com on your browser.. then pluging in the station names in the SB3...

there are lots of world music stns on Shoutcast .. so worth a look for sure

aubuti
2006-04-12, 07:10
Can any sage merlins amongst you guide me to accessing more internet radio than is possible thru the 'standard' out of the box settings on SB3 ?

I'll echo the recommendations for checking out Live365, Shoutcast, LastFM, and the Live Music Archive, and add one more.

It is easy to get almost ANY mp3 or wma stream to play through SqueezeNetwork. What I do is find the URL for the stream, usually by visiting the station's web site. Then I go to the SqueezeNetwork web page, login, and enter the URL on the Favorites page. Click the Save button on the bottom and you're done!