PDA

View Full Version : Help me find heaven

RalphO
2006-04-11, 18:51
Attached is a picture of my Koi Pond. It is a wonderful place to sit and relax. At the moment it lacks music which I think would be a really cool thing to add to my outdoor experience. The pond is wihin range of my wireless network so a squeezebox sounds the way to go. So does anyone have any experience of using a squeezebox outside. If so:

How did you protect it?
Do have some wasterproof/weatherproof speakers to recomend?
Any other advise to give.

This is real free your music I am after

Michaelwagner
2006-04-11, 21:18
What would be really cool would be if you could run it off solar cells. Then you could build a little shelter out of solar cells, hide the not-very-waterproof squeezebox under the eves of the solar cell shelter, and not have to run a power cord out there. But I doubt they'd have the power to run a squeezebox, let alone the speakers. ... :-(

By the way, I didn't see any picture.

ceejay
2006-04-11, 23:59
Getting power out to your pond area, safely, is a non-trivial problem, of course... any cable needs to be safely buried and protected by its own RCD.

As a completely different approach - good for only one person, sadly - I use standard wireless headphones when wandering around the house and garden. With a wireless PDA in my pocket to act as the remote, I can play music all day anywhere I like...

Ceejay.

Fifer
2006-04-12, 00:40
Getting power out to your pond area, safely, is a non-trivial problem, of course... any cable needs to be safely buried and protected by its own RCD.
Not really true. Any mains cable needs to be safely buried and have its own RCD, but the SB doesn't require mains power. The safe and easy option is to keep the PSU indoors and extend the 5VDC cable to the outside world. It's not only safe, but is a very small diameter and can be tucked away at the edge of paths, beds, lawns or hidden under gravel, mulch or other ground coverings. Just take care to use a heavy enough gauge of low voltage cable to ensure that not too much voltage is dropped over the extended run. Problem solved. Alternatively, batteries are another option.

peter
2006-04-12, 01:04
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 00:40:14 -0700, "Fifer"
<Fifer.26558z1144827901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> said:
>
> ceejay Wrote:
> > Getting power out to your pond area, safely, is a non-trivial problem,
> > of course... any cable needs to be safely buried and protected by its
> > own RCD.
> Not really true. Any -mains- cable needs to be safely buried and have
> its own RCD, but the SB doesn't require mains power. The safe and easy
> option is to keep the PSU indoors and extend the 5VDC cable to the
> outside world. It's not only safe, but is a very small diameter and can
> be tucked away at the edge of paths, beds, lawns or hidden under gravel,
> mulch or other ground coverings. Just take care to use a heavy enough
> gauge of low voltage cable to ensure that not too much voltage is
> dropped over the extended run. Problem solved. Alternatively, batteries
> are another option.

Check out this guy who has a squeezebox in his hottub:

http://www.picpix.com/brad/gallery/000aasqz

Note the waterproofed remote ;)

Regards,
Peter

Skunk
2006-04-12, 06:30
I like MW's idea of solar power. If you could charge a 12v car battery with a small solar panel, it would probably be enough to power the SB and a Sonic Impact t-amp, which is designed to run off batteries.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-12, 06:32
Well I waited a bit to see if anyone had better ideas, but it seems there are no off-she-shelf waterproof enclosures.

I was going to suggest an industrial enclosure. They are weatherproof and are available with varying degrees of protection from water including full immersion.

You'd want an IP64 enclosure as a minimum:

http://www.rlws.com/LIT/load-cells/IP_ratings.html

with a front window, of course.

Unfortunately these enclosures may be hard for an average consumer to get. They are also not very attractive. But they'll do the job for sure.

There are lots of weatherproof speakers from many manufacturers - almost every speaker manufacturer has a line. Most of them are unpowered, but if you got a large enough enclosure you could put an amplifier in there as well.

RalphO
2006-04-12, 17:38

As a completely different approach - good for only one person, sadly - I use standard wireless headphones when wandering around the house and garden. With a wireless PDA in my pocket to act as the remote, I can play music all day anywhere I like...

Ceejay.

Power is not an issue for me. The pond has pumps, UV filters, lighting etc so we can easily plug in a Squeezebox.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-04-13, 00:39
The Voyager series of outdoor speakers from Boston Acoustics are very nice. Completely weatherproof - a magazine did a test where they completely immersed the speakers in a tub and they kept playing fine. They sound good, too.

notanatheist
2006-04-14, 20:46
Completely weatherproof - a magazine did a test where they completely immersed the speakers in a tub and they kept playing fine. They sound good, too.

Me wonders if the fish would like some music in their little 150 gallon tank!