PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 770 questions....

TheSaint
2006-04-11, 18:51
HI guys....

I'm new here. :)

Just purchased a Nokia 770 from CompUsa today....and preparing to purchase a Squeezebox! WOOWOOOO!

Anyway... I have a little prolem with the 770. The right side of the screen is bit darker than the left side; and it appears that there is some backlight bleeding...
I can see it when the whole screen is white....otherwise is not easy to see.

Anybody else have this problem?

Another question: I was expecting to see an LCD that had resolution similar to the PSP, while the screen of the 770 has like very very very small pixels all around, of different color...very hard to explain, but I guess it is normal for touchscreens??

Other question (last one, I promise):
I'm connected to my Home WLAN, which is encrypted using WPE Personal, and MAC Filtering; all is fine, but once I close the browser or the internet radio player, then the connection closes too..... how can I set it to stay connected all the time?

Please forgive me for asking this questions here, but this is the only forum that has so mabny Nokia 770 users!

:)

Thank you.

neilcoburn
2006-04-12, 01:50
I had a similar problem, which unfortunately was the start of a completely faulty screen - the display went completely white, permanently. I hope this doesn't happen to you, especially as getting it collected for repair took about 25 different phone calls to different parts of Nokia - the service was abysmal. I bought it from Nokia Online shop - hopefully you won't have as much trouble if you do need to return it.

Fifer
2006-04-12, 01:57
You might want to check out the forums at www.internettablettalk.com .

slimpy
2006-04-12, 02:10
Anyway... I have a little prolem with the 770. The right side of the screen is bit darker than the left side; and it appears that there is some backlight bleeding...
I can see it when the whole screen is white....otherwise is not easy to see.
Can't confirm this. Mine seems to be evenly lit. A faulty display maybe?

Another question: I was expecting to see an LCD that had resolution similar to the PSP, while the screen of the 770 has like very very very small pixels all around, of different color...very hard to explain, but I guess it is normal for touchscreens??
The Nokia 770 actually has a far better resolution (800x480) than the PSP (480x272). What you see is probably due to refraction in the additional touchscreen layer on the screen. Touchscreens therefore have a slight loss in brightness and viewing angle. The screen does not look as crisp as a similar regular screen.

I'm connected to my Home WLAN, which is encrypted using WPE Personal, and MAC Filtering; all is fine, but once I close the browser or the internet radio player, then the connection closes too..... how can I set it to stay connected all the time?
This is normal. The wireless module draws a lot of power. The Nokia disconnects automatically from the network if the connection is not used to save battery power.

Please forgive me for asking this questions here, but this is the only forum that has so mabny Nokia 770 users!Not quite, see here: http://www.internettablettalk.com/

-s.

TheSaint
2006-04-12, 12:01
Thank you so very much guys....

it seems that most of the people have reported the backlight problem with the screen... so I guess I will keep mine. It is an incredible gadget anyway :)

I have 21 days to return it to compUSA so I will use it as much as I can and see if it needs repair or not...

:)

Looking forward to my SB3 now...

bklaas
2006-04-12, 12:15
I have no such backlight problems. You paid a fair bit of coin for that toy...I'd recommend returning it for a replacement. CompUSA should give you a new one on the spot.

cheers,
#!/ben

TheSaint
2006-04-12, 15:43
....yeah i was thinking of returning it, but what if the new one has more problems?

Fifer
2006-04-13, 00:17
I don't know how widespread the problem is, but mine is fine (apart from the crack between USB and headpone sockets, but I think that's fairly universal ...)

patrija
2006-04-13, 13:23
I just picked up a 770 today nd not experiencing any the problems you've listed.

Nice device, it is slow and definitely needs more memory. Example is I tried to load Pandora player via their website with no other 770 Apps open and Pandora fails to fully load.

Anyone know of a good chat client for the 770? Tried GAIM, but seems a bit awkward.