PDA

View Full Version : SB2 as wireless bridge

Nikhil
2006-04-11, 16:25
Can someone tell me how to use the SB2 as a wireless bridge? e.g. when I connect my SlingBox directly to my router (D-Link DI-626), the router displays the MAC address of the device, and everything works fine and dandy, but when I plug the device into the ethernet jack of the SB2, I see no DHCP request on the router from the device.

Do I need a crossover cable? Do I need to enable something on the SB2?

Goes without saying that the SB2 is working fine by itself in wireless mode. Also I am using old fashioned WEP if that matter at all, but no MAC address level control.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nikhil

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-11, 16:44
When you have wireless enabled, plug the device into the Ethernet jack of the SB2.

Then go back to network setup, either by pressing the left button for 5 seconds or by power-cycling. With wireless enabled and a device plugged into the Ethernet port, you should see a new option in network setup, provided you choose wireless networking: enable wireless bridge.

I believe you need a crossover cable here. That's what I ended up using in between my SB2 and a laptop when testing wireless bridging and it worked fine.

Ben Sandee
2006-04-11, 16:45
On 4/11/06, Nikhil <Nikhil.264ibz1144798201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Can someone tell me how to use the SB2 as a wireless bridge? e.g. when I
> connect my SlingBox directly to my router (D-Link DI-626), the router
> displays the MAC address of the device, and everything works fine and
> dandy, but when I plug the device into the ethernet jack of the SB2, I
> see no DHCP request on the router from the device.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Make sure the device is connected and powered on when the SB2 is initially
connected to power -- you should see a menu option to enable wireless bridge
mode. At least that's how I remember it working...

Ben

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-11, 16:54
When you have wireless enabled, plug the device into the Ethernet jack of the SB2.

Then go back to network setup, either by pressing the left button for 5 seconds or by power-cycling. With wireless enabled and a device plugged into the Ethernet port, you should see a new option in network setup, provided you choose wireless networking: enable wireless bridge.

BTW I remembered wrong, I had to power-cycle. See here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=75844&postcount=3

Nikhil
2006-04-11, 16:58
Thanks for the super quick replies. I did find the 'enable wireless bridge' option. Now I need to locate a crossover cable.

Regds,

Nikhil

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-11, 17:12
Thanks for the super quick replies. I did find the 'enable wireless bridge' option. Now I need to locate a crossover cable.

Regds,

Nikhil

Actually I believe if you get the "enable wireless bridge" option it's already working.

Strictly speaking you need a crossover cable, but there are a lot of auto-sensing ports out there.

Nikhil
2006-04-29, 16:32
Guys, thanks for the help. I had to ignore the problem for over a week - was tied up with work. But now finally I have it working as I wanted to. There were several things working against me, but I attacked them one by one. My first crossover cable was busted. Then my D-Link router did not initially want to issue an IP address to any device bridged over the SB2 (the logs gave this message, which I assumed to be a uPnP or Rendezvous associated thing).

Packet Dropped
Target IP(239.255.255.250), Target Port(1900)
Spoof IP(192.168.0.109), Spoof Port(2048)
Spoof Attack fromd MAC(SB2_MAC_ADDRESS) Detect

However after ignoring it for a while, it seemed to give IP addressed to both the devices that I had connected to it; the wonderful SlingBox from SlingMedia and my newly aquired Sonos ZP-80 zone player. Am currently doing a side by side comparison of the ZP80 with the SB2 - will report on that in a separate thread.

Regards,

Nikhil

docbee
2006-04-30, 01:01
Hi Nikhil,
please write a few words about how the SB compares to the ZP80 from your point of view/experience. People like me just know the ZP80 from the specs and the sonos forum. Would be great to listen to someone who really owns both systems.