PDA

View Full Version : Starting SlimServer

braggy
2006-04-10, 14:33
I have SB3 and have downloaded and installed the software. However, it fails to start. All I get is a constant message saying slimserver starting, but nothing else. I have redownloaded and reinstalled but everytime the same. Any ideas?

kdf
2006-04-10, 14:38
uninstall before you reinstall.

braggy
2006-04-10, 15:16
ok, it now starts buts gives me the message,"slimserver web interface.url application not found"

and the sb3 is asking for the ip address for the slimserver but not giving any options and wants a manual input. i've input my ip address where the slimserver is loaded but this doesnt work.

pablolie
2006-04-10, 19:18
Also, disable all firewalls on your computer. In WinXP, you can do that on the connection itself or via the Security center in the control panel. Turn off every security application - virus too.

Make sure you uninstall everything about Slimserver before you install it again w/o firewall settings.

Don't forget to turn your security software back up after you're done.

Good luck!

braggy
2006-04-11, 01:41
Have tried as suggested on two machines now and alas still the same issue and error message.

Perhaps the file i'm downloading is corrupt/damaged? Is there anywhere else I can get it from.

It's a bit annoying having spent all this money, I cannot use the SB3. Perhaps the tried and tested ' disc in the box ' would be an answer??

So, does anybody else have any other ideas?

Siduhe
2006-04-11, 02:48
I think a message to Support (support@slimdevices.com) may be needed.

You don't give details of your setup (Linux / XP / Mac ?) or which version of slimserver you are trying to run, but I just downloaded 6.2.1 from the website and downgraded (on an XP box) and it works fine.

Before you uninstall, are you checking that slim.exe isn't shown anywhere in your processes list ? If it is, end process, then uninstall and delete any Slimserver folder remaining manually. Then reinstall.

Could it be something with your networking setup like the thread below ?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20400&highlight=web+interface.url

braggy
2006-04-11, 03:17
I'm running XP. SB3 wireless with 6.2.1

I'll give it one more go the I guess I'll have to go direct to slim devices.........

braggy
2006-04-11, 10:49
Ive tried and tried but still nothing. with the slimserver ip address the same as the networking ip address, i get nowhere. everything appears to be fine then it just tells me it cant connect to the server.

I've mailed slimdevices but alas no response from them yet.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-11, 11:09
Ive tried and tried but still nothing. with the slimserver ip address the same as the networking ip address, i get nowhere.

But has the server actually started successfully?

Did you uninstall and remove all traces of the program, then reinstall?

Have you checked services.msc to find out if slim.exe has started? If so, stop it if you're reinstalling.

Siduhe
2006-04-11, 12:23
Ive tried and tried but still nothing. with the slimserver ip address the same as the networking ip address, i get nowhere. everything appears to be fine then it just tells me it cant connect to the server.

I've mailed slimdevices but alas no response from them yet.

Braggy, I'm a bit confused at where your problem is at the moment. First it was an slimserver installation issue - now it sounds to me like you have slimserver installed and running, but are having problems getting your SB to connect to your slimserver which is more likely a networking issue.

Couple of basic questions - do you have a little slimserver icon in your system tray of your PC ? When you double click on it, does it open up a window with a slimserver interface in it ?

If the answer to both these questions is yes, is the top right of the window greyed out with a "can't find a squeezebox" kind of message ?

If so, we're into networking. First question (sorry about this, but we need to understand your setup to have any hope of fixing this) - what is your brand of router ? Have you checked it against the router status list in the wiki ?

Can the SB connect to your wireless network ok ?

If yes, it must be the next step that it falls over at - getting the SB to see slimserver on your PC.

Does your SB get allocated an IP address ok by your router ? The IP address doesn't conflict with anything else on your network ?

Does the SB "see" the IP address of your PC ok when it says "select a music source" ?

Do you have a firewall installed on your PC ? Have you configured it to allow slimserver / sb access ?

It would be really helpful if you could give us more of a step by step guide to what you are doing and what step it's going wrong at.

braggy
2006-04-11, 14:03
I have the slim server icon in my tray and when i place the arrow over it, it says slimserver running. however, when i click on it, it gives me an error box saying 'slimserver web interface.url applicatoin not found'.

i'm using a d-link airplus router and the SB3 connects to the wireless network ok.

It obtains the ip address (dhcp) ok

select a music source : specify an ip address for your slimserver
which defaults to 000.000.000.000

i have tried network ip etc and not accepted

when it tries to connect to slim server it either says press right to try again etc or reverts to the set up networking menu.

firewall running but have tried it both on and off

Ross L
2006-04-11, 15:46
Just a stab in the dark, but are you using IE?

Try opening IE, then go to tools, internet options, then the programs tab. Then try hitting the button that says "reset web settings"

Does that help?

Siduhe
2006-04-11, 16:22
It sounds to me like two possible problems:

Some kind of browser permissions issue with the web interface; and a firewall / router issue.

If Andy's suggestion works with the web interface, check the Security tab under Server Settings and that Incoming Connections is set to "do not block".

You say D-Link Airplus router - a brief review of the D-Link website suggests there are about 6 or 7 versions - what is the model number / version of your router ? It will be something like D-624.

What brand of firewall are you running and have you configured it for Slimserver ? Depending on the firewall, switching it off may not make any difference - Panda and ZoneAlarm for example have their firewall settings remain active even when the program is disabled.

P.S. When you say you've "tried the network IP", do you mean that you've manually inputed the IP for the XP PC ? It may be worth checking via ipconfig that you've got the right IP address for the XP box that is running slimserver. If you're using DHCP, it may be that the IP address has changed depending on the order that everything connects to your network.

braggy
2006-04-12, 02:12
It is a DI-624

I have 2 firewalls installed - the standard windows security centre one and also a symantec norton one. Obviously both are not running at the same time.

I have reset IE browser settings and also input the ipconfig given address.

How do I check server settings?

Thanks guys.

ceejay
2006-04-12, 02:59
At the risk of confusing things by someone else jumping in...

I'm not clear from the earlier posts quite where this is going wrong. Can you

(1) start your browser (IE?)
(2) enter the address http://localhost:9000

If slimserver is running this ought to take you to the web interface of the application. From there you can go to "Server Settings" for various options...

Then we can tackle the problem of getting your SB to talk to slimserver...

HTH
Ceejay

braggy
2006-04-12, 07:04
Yes, by entering that, I can access the user interface which correctly lists my albums etc

Whet should i check for within server settings?

Kyle
2006-04-12, 07:22
Yes, by entering that, I can access the user interface which correctly lists my albums etc

Whet should i check for within server settings?
Now it sounds like a firewall issue. Have you tried connecting with all of your firewalls disabled? Do you use encryption?

bpa
2006-04-12, 07:29
Another possibility is that another app has grabbed port 9000.

You could try to start slim.exe from a command prompt with the d_server debug flag set. The log may show possible startup problems.

Siduhe
2006-04-12, 07:45
In the web interface, go to Server Settings / Security and check that Incoming Connections is set to "do not block" [this is the default, but worth checking anyway].

Does your Squeezebox still not detect your Slimserver address i.e. give you the 000.000.000.000 address ?

If so, firewall, would be my first suspect. Have you configured it for Slimserver as shown here: http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#networking-firewall

braggy
2006-04-12, 09:51
OK, I only have the standard windows firewall running and its configured to allow the SB ports.

SB server setting set to do not block.

still defaults to 000.000.000.000 ip address. I enter ip address as given by ipconfig and still it says "Problem : Can't connect to slimserver"

braggy
2006-04-12, 10:24
I,ve now tried manually imputting my DNS srver address (which is different to the one which is automatically located??) subnet mask and gateway which I obtained via ipconfig /all
The slimserver address is the ipa of my machine on which the slimserver is installed.

Still nothing.

(note : when i let it automatically locate the dns server address, it does not register submask, gateway etc as these are all at 0.0.0 etc when I look in my settings)

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-12, 10:57
Norton will still continue to run after you've disabled it. It must be completely uninstalled to turn it off. And by running two firewalls at once, you'll always have problems like what we're discussing here...

Do your firewall logs indicate anything? They should show lots of blocked connection attempts, although with two firewalls fighting each other like that I'm not sure what you'll see.

cepheid
2006-04-12, 13:29
It is a DI-624
Apart from all the other stuff people have mentioned:

If your SB3 is connected wirelessly, then make sure that SuperG, Turbo, and XR modes are all *OFF*. Those modes are not (yet?) supported by the SB3 and the SB3 won't work on the wireless network if those modes are enabled. So if you're using wireless, make sure to turn those modes off.

If you HAVE to use those modes, then you'll need to connect the SB3 using ethernet.

braggy
2006-04-12, 14:11
I dont really want to uninstall norton as its my antivrus protection etc and ive subscribed.

ceejay
2006-04-12, 15:20
I dont really want to uninstall norton as its my antivrus protection etc and ive subscribed.

Fair enough - it shouldn't be the problem, I use Norton and I'm sure a lot of others do too ... its fairly good at automatically opening the ports you need. But you should check that in the Firewall Networking settings you have placed your local network in its "trusted" zone (e.g. 192.168.0.x) which permits devices with those addresses to talk to the computer behind the firewall.

Lets just check the flow here. For the SB to talk to slimserver, a whole bunch of ducks need to be lined up.

(1) slimserver needs to be running (I think you've proved that by accessing it from a browser)

(2) the SB has to be able to find the WLAN and connect to it (not sure if you've proved that or not)

(3) it needs to be permitted to access, if MAC filtering is on

(4) it needs to give the right security codes, if WPA (say) is turned on

(5) it needs to get an IP address from somewhere

(6) having connected to the network, it then needs to be allowed through the firewall to talk to the slimserver

Recent suggesitons have focussed on point 6 (the firewall) but I'm not convinced you've got that far. Can you access Squeezenetwork (which you should be able to , if steps 2-5 are all ok)?

Ceejay

braggy
2006-04-13, 02:03
no, i cant access the squeezenetwork....

braggy
2006-04-13, 02:05
I connect to the wireless network ok, and it automatically locates an IP address. After that, i'm not sure.......

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-13, 05:55
I connect to the wireless network ok, and it automatically locates an IP address. After that, i'm not sure.......

But which IP address is it? One like the rest of your network, or a fallback address, 169.XXX?

Have a look at this:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsBeginnersGuide

Go over the whole thing. The last sections cover connecting to SqueezeNetwork, especially DNS and gateway addresses.

cepheid
2006-04-13, 18:18
The player will obtain an IP one way or another... the question, as Mark Lanctot asked, is whether it's an IP on your proper subnet or whether it's a fallback self-assigned IP.

If the SB is obtaining a self-assigned fallback IP then you are not obtaining an IP via DHCP properly. As I posted previously, you must DISABLE SuperG, Turbo, and XR modes on the router, because the SB is not compatible with those modes. If you don't know how to do this, I can walk you through it - I've got a DI-624 as well, so I have first-hand experience with this issue.

If SuperG, Turbo, and XR modes are already disabled and the SB still cannot obtain a DHCP lease, then:

1) What version of the firmware are you using on the DI-624? Some of the newer firmwares have caused problems with DHCP, so you may need to upgrade or downgrade your firmware.
2) Do you have a wireless laptop? Does *it* properly obtain a DHCP lease? If not, see #1 again. If so, and if all the special modes I mentioned are already disabled, then:
3) Do you have MAC-address filtering enabled? If so, make sure that the SB's MAC address is on the "allowed" list.
4) Do you have WEP or WPA enabled? If so, make sure the SB has the proper password! And it *IS* case-sensitive!

Post back with your results from the above suggestions...

braggy
2006-04-16, 16:25
Thanks. Just got back from a heavy weekend in Prague, so i'll try all this out tomorrow and let you know how I go....