PDA

View Full Version : 2CH Amplifier Suggestions Please!

Jetlag
2006-04-09, 15:59
I am getting ready to set up my soon to be delivered SB3 in my bedroom (I already own an SB2 which is in my main AV system). The room layout can be seen in the attached photo.

The SB3 will be on-wall mounted right between the closet doors and the amplifier will go on the shelf in the closet (I already wired a 120V/15A power outlet inside the closet above the shelf and also an ethernet port for the SB3). The speakers, a pair of Paradigm Studio Reference 20s, will be placed on heavy 4' tall pillars in the two corners with the speaker wire running directly into the closet (through the wall) to the amplifier. The lamp will be moved.

I have already found a couple of amplifiers that are on my short list, but I wanted to pick the brains of those of you that have done similar setups. I will be running the analog out from the SB3 to it.

Here are the requirements:

1. no tubes
2. NO T-AMPS! (not interested, thanks!)
3. at least 30W RMS
4. signal trigger sensor ON/OFF would be ideal
5. budget <$1000 USD
6. used/Audiogon is just fine (i.e. MSRP >$1000 new)
7. cannot be super-heavy, the shelf will hold an amp but not a huge one.

I will refrain from posting the ones I found in the interest in getting fresh ideas.
Although I admire the T-Amp and it probably works well for you I am not interested in having one in this particular setup (not bashing it, just not interested).

THANKS! :)

rudholm
2006-04-09, 16:11
I've been pretty happy with my ADCOMs. They seem to me to be excellent amps without being expensive just for the sake of being expensive. Good two-channel ADCOM amps can be had for < 1000$ easily.

radish
2006-04-09, 18:09
Just interested - why do you ask for peoples suggestions and then say, actually, you're not?

ezkcdude
2006-04-09, 20:21
See my sig. Parasound Halo A23. Meets all your requirements. Got it on audiogon for $650, but I've seen it go for as little as $500. The one I bought had only been used for a few hours, so it was practically brand new.

Jetlag
2006-04-09, 20:47
Just interested - why do you ask for peoples suggestions and then say, actually, you're not?

I have to respectfully disagree since I don't feel that I stated or even implied anywhere that I was not interested in amplifier suggestions. I do have a specific set of parameters that are being dictated by the installation and not by me, this has left me frustrated and I was askig for help. I also attempted to provide all of the details to hopefully make it easier for members to make suggestions.

The reason for the restrictions?

- Most amps I have direct experience with have been very heavy and there is no way the shelf would support them reliably. The weight would have to be less than 30-40 pounds.
- Tubes would not be very practical sitting on a shelf in a closet, and no models offer signal sensing power control that I am aware of (I could easily be proven wrong).
- The only amp I specifically excluded was the T-Amp. The original T-Amp runs on batteries (I simply don't want to mess with batteries in a nn-portable setup), and the Super T-Amp puts out 10W @ 8 Ohm per the manufacturers website, not really enough to drive the Paradigm speakers (according to both the dealer and the brochure that came with the speakers).

Normally I would just search until I found an adequate solution on my own and then would try to demo it in place before buying, but these restrictions have me a bit stumped. I've only found a few so far.

I was hoping that someone on the forums may have had an equally restictive install and may offer a solution that I had not found. If I left any other impression maybe I need to go back an re-write the original post.

bmarston
2006-04-09, 20:58
I don't have one, but I've been looking at the AudioSource AMP 100 (http://www.audiosource.net/amp100.html). I think it meets your requirements. You can get one for $110 (http://froogle.google.com/froogle?btnG=Search+Froogle&groupby=n&q=%22audiosource+amp+100%22&lmode=online&scoring=p).

Jetlag
2006-04-09, 20:58
Parasound Halo A23
You're right, it does meet every parameter. To bad it is such a good looking piece to then hide it in a closet!

Two quick questions:
1. Do you find having the gain knobs on the back to be a nuisance, or did you just set it once and forget it? I was planning to use the SB3 remote to control volume.
2. How is that amp for heat generation? Would you describe it as pretty standard, or do these get hot? (I've owned both).

Jetlag
2006-04-09, 21:01
I don't have one, but I've been looking at the AudioSource AMP 100 (http://www.audiosource.net/amp100.html). I think it meets your requirements. You can get one for $110 (http://froogle.google.com/froogle?btnG=Search+Froogle&groupby=n&q=%22audiosource+amp+100%22&lmode=online&scoring=p).
I don't know a thing about Audiosource but will do some reading and try to dig up some user reviews.

ezkcdude
2006-04-09, 22:46
FYI, before I got the A23, I had an AudioSource Amp Two for 7 years. I had problems with the speaker terminals, which were not 5-way, so I had to live with the audio dropping out every so often. Other than that, it was a nice sounding amp for the price (<$300). The A23 beats it hands down, though. No comparison.

As for the gain, I have them set at max, and I use passive attenuators (again see my sig) that are plugged directly into the RCA jacks of the A23. I set the attenuators at about 7:00, and use the SB3 for controlling volume. I got rid of my pre-amp, as there is no need for it anymore :) The A23 does run pretty hot, but I have it sitting out in the open, so it's not an issue for me. Another nice feature of the A23 is the line-out jacks, which allow me to use a sub very easily. In the future, I want to try the balanced XLR inputs, but my current DAC only has unbalanced outs, so that will have to wait.

peter
2006-04-09, 22:56
On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 20:47:38 -0700, "Jetlag"
<Jetlag.26151b1144641001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> said:
>
> - The only amp I specifically excluded was the T-Amp. The original
> T-Amp runs on batteries (I simply don't want to mess with batteries in
> a nn-portable setup), and the Super T-Amp puts out 10W @ 8 Ohm per the
> manufacturers website, not really enough to drive the Paradigm speakers
> (according to both the dealer and the brochure that came with the
> speakers).

Of course you don't want to run it on batteries, that's why everybody
goes out and buys a $20 power supply. ;)

The 6 Watts seems ridiculously insufficient until you try to drive one
to the limit and find that it produces more than enough volume to annoy
the neighbours before it starts to clip and it doesn't get hot at all.
Good enough for my kitchen and bed room.

If you're in the US you can order one for $20 to $30, about the price of
a CD. Cheap enough to buy one and give it away as a present to your
little nephew if it turns out you don't like it.

Regards,
Peter

jhonsberger@msn.com
2006-04-10, 07:11
id recommend the parasound amplifiers. im impressed with mine.

dennisd
2006-04-10, 11:49
I use M2200 from Outlawaudio in my bedroom. (Read the reviews, they are good! I'm just talking about my use with Slimp3 here.) They are absolutely quiet, from both the amplifier and the speakers. My bedroom is the quietest room in the house and I found 3 other amplifiers I could not stand. They had a very low level hum from the transfomer, and once from the speaker. The M2200 will power up with the audio, and power down about 5 minutes after no audio (with a very soft click, which does not bother me). I dial in 10db of attenuation in the SLIMP3 so I can have the volume soft enough to go to sleep. Also I synch this Slimp3 with my other 5 units so when it shuts down (usually in sleep mode) the whole house goes quiet. I no longer have to get out of bed to turn off the Livingroom music!!! The M2200 comes in at 62% of your budget, looks good (well I put tape over the LED which is slightly bright for my dark bedroom), and they sounds fantastic on my Acoustic Energy Evo 3 speakers. I have 4 of them so far. Good Luck on your search.
Dennis