PDA

View Full Version : Problems with wireless connection

mcgoverg
2006-04-09, 12:37
Hi there, wonder if any of you guys can help on this one.

I'd been having some problems with my wireless connection dropping and noting that 6.2.2 was supposed to address some of these issues i thought i'd give it a try. I downloaded and applied (and also got FW37 at the same time).
6.2.2 install didn't work - got continual 'starting slimserver' message but never got to 'slimserver running'.

During the install i got a message to the effect that a module for auto start of slimserver couldn't be found.
I tried a complete deinstall of slimserver and re-install with same message and same effect - 'starting slimserver'

Backed it out and re-installed 6.2.1 which went ok but now I can't connect wirelessly at all - not with wep not with wpa not even without any protection. I always get the same problem - it times down to 0 then error msg 'cannot find specified wireless network'.
I've tried a cable connection and all is fine but wireless is completely screwed

ANy Ideas?

Help much appreciated - a cable connection while the most desireable is just not practical

mcgoverg
2006-04-09, 13:04
fot the hell of it I tried enabling broadcast of my ssid and what do you know - everything is now ok! Tried disabling it again and everything stops - and SB2 shows 0% network signal! Re-enable again and all is sweet!.

FRom a security point of view I've always avoided having ssid broadcast but for now I guess i'll live with it.

Physician heal youself?!

cmaskelyne
2006-04-09, 13:06
Have a look at my posting about DHCP and Wireless. I think we may both be suffering from some upgrade that has stopped things working. Either from Microsoft or Slimdevices.

Hi there, wonder if any of you guys can help on this one.

I'd been having some problems with my wireless connection dropping and noting that 6.2.2 was supposed to address some of these issues i thought i'd give it a try. I downloaded and applied (and also got FW37 at the same time).
6.2.2 install didn't work - got continual 'starting slimserver' message but never got to 'slimserver running'.

During the install i got a message to the effect that a module for auto start of slimserver couldn't be found.
I tried a complete deinstall of slimserver and re-install with same message and same effect - 'starting slimserver'

Backed it out and re-installed 6.2.1 which went ok but now I can't connect wirelessly at all - not with wep not with wpa not even without any protection. I always get the same problem - it times down to 0 then error msg 'cannot find specified wireless network'.
I've tried a cable connection and all is fine but wireless is completely screwed

ANy Ideas?

Help much appreciated - a cable connection while the most desireable is just not practical

mherger
2006-04-09, 13:18
> 6.2.2 install didn't work - got continual 'starting slimserver' message
> but never got to 'slimserver running'.

Current builds are broken. You'll have to get a build before 0406.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

mcgoverg
2006-04-09, 13:26
> 6.2.2 install didn't work - got continual 'starting slimserver' message
> but never got to 'slimserver running'.

Current builds are broken. You'll have to get a build before 0406.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Thanks I'll try that once I've run the SB2 for a few days to make sure the wireless connection is stable
Gerry

cmaskelyne
2006-04-09, 13:32
Reading through the forums it appears that there is a problem with the latest builds with some routers having issues with WPA.

So I am now back to WEP though I have managed to hide my SSID and put the MAC filtering on so I ought to be grateful for that.

I could have got by with my SB1 to do that though so am extremely disappointed at the moment.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-09, 14:08
FRom a security point of view I've always avoided having ssid broadcast but for now I guess i'll live with it.

Hiding SSID turns out not to be a valid security measure. See http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43:

There is no such thing as "SSID hiding". You're only hiding SSID beaconing on the Access Point. There are 4 other mechanisms that also broadcast the SSID over the 2.4 or 5 GHz spectrum. The 4 mechanisms are; probe requests, probe responses, association requests, and re-association requests. Essentially, youre talking about hiding 1 of 5 SSID broadcast mechanisms. Nothing is hidden and all youve achieved is cause problems for Wi-Fi roaming when a client jumps from AP to AP.

Any wardriver with a packet sniffer can sort it out - including the MAC addresses of all your clients (see the same link) - so MAC filtering isn't all that great either.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-09, 14:09
Reading through the forums it appears that there is a problem with the latest builds with some routers having issues with WPA.

?

Did you try it?

It's solved far more problems than it created.

cmaskelyne
2006-04-09, 15:23
Couple of points no security in its own right will stop someone getting access to your network but the more levels you put in place the more likely a hacker is to use your next door neighbours unsecured network rather than yours so I think hiding the SSID is still a valid measure that you can take to help to keep your network safe.

On the wireless issue. I have just set up a belkin wireless router and can report that this has enabled me to set up the WPA protection without any issues. This leave me with my Netgear/Slimserver/SB3 combination being the problem. Not sure exactly which part but I still suspect the Slimserver as there have been no other changes to the system and it was working OK last week.