PDA

View Full Version : Power Management

mortod
2006-04-08, 09:33
Not sure whether this is a SB issue, but I have trouble getting my PC to go into standby since I have connected a wireless SB.

The PC will only go into standby if I am logged out, or if the timeout is 3 minutes or less. If I am logged in and set the timeout to, say, 15 minutes it will never go into standby - unless I do it manually. If I disable Wake on LAN then it goes into standby OK (but of course the SB can't wake it). Once in standby the Wake on LAN works fine.

Any thoughts ?

Ben Diss
2006-04-08, 18:34
When the SB is "off" and only displaying the time, it's talking to your PC. Turn off the clock screensaver and your 'puter will go into standby.

mortod
2006-04-09, 01:11
No - I tried both unplugging the power from the SB and also stopping the SS process - this seems to be a generic PC problem, but I'm hoping that someone here will have come across the same.

mortod
2006-04-09, 10:37
Have now tracked down what was causing this - Norton AntiVirus includes a 'NetDetect' scheduled job that runs every 5 minutes. Not sure what it does, but I went into the scheduler (Control Panel/Scheduler, selecting properties with a right click on the netdetect item), and ticked the 'Only start the task if the computer has been idle for at least (20) minutes' box. I can now set my standby timer to 5 minutes (I'll probably go for 15 mintues).