PDA

View Full Version : WAV Tags Slowing Slimserver

frankL
2006-04-06, 12:46
I tried to diagnose my slow SlimServer problem in a separate thread. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=22351. Based on one of the comments, I think it is possible that the problem is caused by WAV tags.

I ripped most of my collection with Musicmatch jukebox as uncompressed WAVs. Although I understand that you cannot tag WAV files, I did tag them with artwork, artist, album, track title, etc.

SlimServer recognizes these tags and the artwork. When a song is played, the album cover appears in the "now playing" information. I also don't think SlimServer is reading the directory structure for tag information because in some cases the artist or track information is different from the directory structure – “The Beatles” appears as “Beatles” and some of the song titles are different.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know how I can strip those tags without re-ripping my collection?

Pale Blue Ego
2006-04-06, 13:28
dBpowerAMP Music Converter can convert WAV files to FLAC. It's also designed to carry over the tags, but since WAV tags are non-standard, I'm not sure if it will do it.

Why are you using WAV instead of FLAC or another lossless format that supports tags?

frankL
2006-04-06, 13:32
dBpowerAMP Music Converter can convert WAV files to FLAC. It's also designed to carry over the tags, but since WAV tags are non-standard, I'm not sure if it will do it.

Do you think that will solve the problem?

Why are you using WAV instead of FLAC or another lossless format that supports tags?

I guess because I haven't run out of room on my hard drive yet.

b1gcountry
2006-04-06, 14:07
If you decide to rip to flac, you can use a tagging program to use the file names to generate the tags, or simply replace all the tag data with blanks, so even if it doesn't work, there's easy ways to get there.

There might be some program out there that deals with wav headers, but I'm not aware of any. The .wav standard can be found online, and isn't too hard to understand, so I'm sure someone has written something.

T