PDA

View Full Version : Firmware 37

rtitmuss
2006-04-06, 05:54
I am please to say that firmware 37 is now available in the latest nightly builds for slimserver 6.2.2 and 6.5.

This version fixes a problem with DHCP when using wireless WPA encryption where a strange (169.254...) address was allocated. It also includes fixes for WPA and WPA2 connections on several routers.

Please note that some WPA compatibility issues remain. A small number of people are reporting stuttering when using firmware > 28. This is also not fixed in this release, but it is now at the top of my list!

Regards,
Richard

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-06, 08:26
Not only did it resolve the issues I had connecting with my old SMC2804WBRP-G router, it also resolved the issue I had with WPA2 and my newer Linksys WRT54G.

So, ironically, although my SMC works fine now I'll continue using the Linksys because it supports WPA2 and the SMC likely never will.

Thanks Richard!

blueranger
2006-04-06, 09:15
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your continuing efforts to iron out all the problems with WPA/WPA2 etc.

I have just tested Firmware 37 with my SB2 and Draytek 2600VG and I still cannot connect if I use WPA or WPA2 - all is ok with 128bit WEP. The router shows a failure of the device to authenticate correctly. Various brands of laptop with assorted wireless cards connect with WPA faultlessly.

I can get the router log and an ethereal trace of the connection attempt if you/anyone is interested.

Philip Meyer
2006-04-06, 12:17
>A small number of people are reporting stuttering when using firmware > 28.
>This is also not fixed in this release, but it is now at the top of my list!
>
I am one that is experiencing stuttering with FW>28.

I can report that this is indeed not fixed by FW37. However, the effect is slightly different now, I think. It appears to be more deterministic, in that FW29-36 seemed to be fairly random with regards to when the stuttering would start, sometimes failing to switch to the next track, etc.

A quick play with FW37 shows that when streaming an 128kbps mp3 track, the stuttering starts after about 15 seconds of playback - seems pretty consistent.

Richard - have you got a SqueezeBox/test environment that exhibits this behaviour? Is there anything I can do to help you identify the problem (debug trace, etc)?

I have gone back to FW28 for now, but I'm thinking that perhaps I should run the Network Test plugin again.

Phil

Millwood
2006-04-06, 13:06
I get an effect that might be called stuttering - but only when playing live internet radio streams. It sounds like some stale buffer chunk is suddenly inserted in the stream. I would guess its very roughly a second or so - could by way off on that.

But the chunk is often pretty old - for example a snip of voice in the middle of a musical number.

I hear this most often on WCPE

Title: WCPE
File Format: MP3
Bitrate: 96kbps CBR

and had assumed it was in the input stream - but maybe not?

In any case, I still get it with 37. Its very occasional.

Pat40
2006-04-06, 18:26
I was one of these lucky persons who did not suffer from stuttering with FW 28, 35 and 36. Today, I have tried FW 37 and now I can understand how unhappy are these with the stuttering problem. I don't know why, but this FW 37 bring to me unbearable stuttering with FLAC and MP3. Fifteen minutes later, FW 36 was back in my SB 3 and stuttering was gone.

mherger
2006-04-06, 23:57
> I was one of these lucky persons who did not suffer from stuttering with
> FW 28, 35 and 36. Today, I have tried FW 37 and now I can understand how
> unhappy are these with the stuttering problem. I don't know why, but
> this FW 37 bring to me unbearable stuttering with FLAC and MP3. Fifteen
> minutes later, FW 36 was back in my SB 3 and stuttering was gone.

Try doing a factory reset after upgrading: unplug SB, hold down + key on
remote, plug it in again (while still holding down +). I had to do this
after some firmware upgrades.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

JJZolx
2006-04-06, 23:59
Another small victory... I'm happy to report that firmware 37 works with WPA and AES on my D-Link DWL-2100AP wireless access point. This is working with both of my SB2s, one with the older Atheros wireless card, and one with the newer card.

Neither SB picked up the network by itself after I changed the encryption on the access point from TKIP to AES. But all I had to do was step through the wireless setup on each of the Squeezeboxes without making any actual changes to the settings.

Playing music right now on the newer SB2 with no stuttering. My WAP shows both devices connected at 100% signal, but they're pretty close - one just 5ft from the access point, the other about 20ft.

ChrisOwens
2006-04-07, 09:59
Anybody who's having problems with "stuttering" audio, does it go away if you use a wired connection?

With regards to the Draytek, I've been going through the routers we have in house and testing them. This very moment I have a Draytek here on my desk, and sure enough I still couldn't connect with WPA. I made some packet captures and we'll have a look!

jonheal
2006-04-07, 10:13
Anybody who's having problems with "stuttering" audio, does it go away if you use a wired connection?

With regards to the Draytek, I've been going through the routers we have in house and testing them. This very moment I have a Draytek here on my desk, and sure enough I still couldn't connect with WPA. I made some packet captures and we'll have a look!
I see no issue with posting on the Slim web site, as a disclaimer of sorts, a list of known compatible routers, switches, etc.

If a user then chooses to attempt to network using a unit of unknown compatibility, they're kinda on thier own. ;-)

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-07, 10:27
I see no issue with posting on the Slim web site, as a disclaimer of sorts, a list of known compatible routers, switches, etc.

If a user then chooses to attempt to network using a unit of unknown compatibility, they're kinda on thier own. ;-)

That's what this is for: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus

JJZolx
2006-04-07, 10:42
Jon was kidding. The wiki entry is an FYI and an attempt to track the problem, not really to say "this is what works" so that someone knows which wireless access point to purchase.

I hope we can all agree the Slim Devices needs to fix the problem in general and once-and-for-all, so that a Squeezebox behaves like any of a million other generic wireless products on the market, with few if any vendor specific compatibility issues. People with existing wireless networks should not have to replace their wireless routers because SD can't figure out their own hardware.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-07, 10:44
Jon was kidding. The wiki entry is an FYI and an attempt to track the problem, not really to say "this is what works" so that someone knows which wireless access point to purchase.

I hope we can all agree the Slim Devices needs to fix the problem in general and once-and-for-all, so that a Squeezebox behaves like any of a million other generic wireless products on the market, with few if any vendor specific compatibility issues. People with existing wireless networks should not have to replace their wireless routers because SD can't figure out their own hardware.

Ah. I thought it was blatantly obvious to me. ;-)

jonheal
2006-04-07, 11:37

Actually, I wasn't kidding. I'm a fairly technical person, but when I'm trying to learn something about a product on a web site, searching their wiki is not the first thing that occrus to me. But, I did type "router" into the wiki's search field and after two clicks arrived at the page Mark referred to.

Jim, I don't think interoperablity is that cut and dry. Wireless seems to be a bit of a black art. The issues could be on the side of the router, you know. You should see the hundreds and hundreds of messages on Apple's support site from people getting stuttering connecting their Macs to an Airport Express. And those products come from the same company!

JJZolx
2006-04-07, 11:57
Actually, I wasn't kidding. I'm a fairly technical person, but when I'm trying to learn something about a product on a web site, searching their wiki is not the first thing that occrus to me. But, I did type "router" into the wiki's search field and after two clicks arrived at the page Mark referred to.

Jim, I don't think interoperablity is that cut and dry. Wireless seems to be a bit of a black art. The issues could be on the side of the router, you know. You should see the hundreds and hundreds of messages on Apple's support site from people getting stuttering connecting their Macs to an Airport Express. And those products come from the same company!
I'm not suggesting that it's easy. What I _am_ suggesting is that if they don't get it done, and done well, then they may as well fold the company. The problems are that serious.

Dan Sully
2006-04-07, 12:02
* JJZolx shaped the electrons to say...

>I'm not suggesting that it's easy. What I _am_ suggesting is that if
>they don't get it done, and done well, then they may as well fold the
>company. The problems are that serious.

FYI - Wireless issues are our number 1 priority right now. Richard has been
flying through bugs and getting them fixed. I think we're all violently agreeing.

-D
--
I'm really looking forward to this hangover.

Pat40
2006-04-07, 22:25
Try doing a factory reset after upgrading: unplug SB, hold down + key on
remote, plug it in again (while still holding down +). I had to do this
after some firmware upgrades.(http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Many thanks Michael. I did not know about the factory reset. And this did the trick. After doing a factory reset, firmware update was perfect and now I have no stuttering with FW 37. Excellent tip indeed.

egd
2006-04-08, 00:28
Fixed my wireless authentication woes too :) http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=22629

gharris999
2006-04-09, 12:29
This is probably not what you want to hear, but I've replaced 5 624-Cs in as many weeks with Netgear or other routers. I was finding it especially hard to get Intel or Broadcom clients to authenticate using WPA.

fuzzyT
2006-04-09, 12:48
Quick report on my experience with FW37.

Running two SB2s, wireless. Connecting via D-Link DI-624 rev.C over
802.11g, WPA-TKIP. Not using Super-G, Turbo, Enhanced Range or other
proprietary modes. Wireless connection working fine under FW 36 using
4.03 SS6.5b1 nightly.

Installed 4.09 nightly this morning:
6.5b1 - 6863 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Updated players to FW37 when prompted. Was unable to reconnect over
wireless using WPA-TKIP.

Tried the following with no luck:
Performed factory reset and re-entered setup information.
Turned on SSID broadcast.
Switched out of g-only mode to b/g mode.

The D-Link logged events for SB2 connections and successful
authentications. The SB2 screens counted down to zero and failed.

Unsecured wireless worked throughout. Did not try WEP. Used unsecured
link to go back to FW36. That's working fine.

--rt

fuzzyT
2006-04-09, 13:42
No other problems here with the 624revC. Been sticking with the 2.50
firmware and it has been doing fine with 2 SB2s, a laptop card and the
Nokia 770 using WPA TKIP.

Not sure what the issue was with FW37 but given that it can and does
work under without issue against SB FW36, I'm confident that it can be
made to work with future SB2 FW releases.

--rt

CavesOfTQLT
2006-04-10, 15:51
Mmm, my wireless SB2 has been okay for the past two/three months taking 2.2 updates without problem, until I tried the update to the latest 2.2 today (04/10). Now I've got nothing but problems with it; it can't see the network, then it does, keypresses from the remote have no effect, music won't play/breaks up, et al. It's gone back to just like it was when I first bought the thing, and the reason why I nearly sold it on eBay soon after purchase. I've even gone back to the original 2.2 and firmware that worked okay before I did the update but, guess what, it's not cured the issue. I'm not happy one bit at the moment.

FTR, this is with a Belkin Pre-N.

JJZolx
2006-04-10, 15:57
Mmm, my wireless SB2 has been okay for the past two/three months taking 2.2 updates without problem, until I tried the update to the latest 2.2 today (04/10). Now I've got nothing but problems with it; it can't see the network, then it does, keypresses from the remote have no effect, music won't play/breaks up, et al. It's gone back to just like it was when I first bought the thing, and the reason why I nearly sold it on eBay soon after purchase. I've even gone back to the original 2.2 and firmware that worked okay before I did the update but, guess what, it's not cured the issue. I'm not happy one bit at the moment.

FTR, this is with a Belkin Pre-N.
2.2?

Did it roll back the firmware when you reinstalled the older Slim Server version or are you still at firmware version 37 on the SB2?

CavesOfTQLT
2006-04-10, 16:12
No it rolled back the firmware.

JJZolx
2006-04-10, 16:21
No it rolled back the firmware.
Try a factory reset on the SB and tell SlimServer to forget the player. Also, cycle the power on your wireless router. That's pretty much starting over as far as the player is concerned.

If the problems continue, it could be wireless issues that are coincidental with the server and firmware upgrade.

drhanso
2006-04-13, 00:24

How are changes made to this list?

Are those only routers that have issues or are these all the tested routers?

-Hans

dean
2006-04-13, 05:58
On Apr 13, 2006, at 12:24 AM, drhanso wrote:

>
> Mark Lanctot Wrote:
>> That's what this is for:
>> http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus
>
> How are changes made to this list?
By members of the community. (You can use the Edit link at the
bottom to edit the page. The Formatting link gives some instruction
on how to format the text to display as you like.)

> Are those only routers that have issues or are these all the tested
> routers?
These are routers that folks from the community have taken the time
to report. I suspect that there are others that have not been
reported that also have issues and a larger number that have no issues.

-dean