PDA

View Full Version : Pandora acting strangely for 3 days

avaloncourt
2006-04-05, 16:33
I have had a very strange and rather consistent occurrence using Pandora for three days. I generally turn on music in late evening. Beginning April 2 and continuing on April 3 and April 4, when I selected Pandora and an existing specific channel, the music began playing but had nothing to do with the channel selected. One channel was set up to play light vocal jazz but that's not what I got. Instead, I got female contemporary Country music. Obviously I was a bit confused why I was getting this selection so I backed up and reselected the channel and the SB3 told me the channel was already playing. I then shut off the SB and when I restarted the selection process the correct music played.

I chalked this up to some kind of quirk in the system until April 3. I went into Pandora and selected the same channel and, once again, I got female Country. I shut down and reselected the channel and the correct music played again.

On the third day I decided to select a different channel. This channel was more of a new-age style with Lorena McKennitt as the root. To my surprise this time I got all male techo-synth style music. Again, I shut off the SB and then returned to Pandora and reselected the channel and it was the correct style of music.

Once, maybe twice, I would have chalked this up to a unique situation but to have it happen on three consecutive days on two different channels with different styles makes me think something happened in the Pandora interface system as of three days ago.

I've been using Pandora/SqueezeNetwork since the first day of the open beta and haven't run into this before. It's such a glaring misinterpretation of the channel selection and I have no idea how it's establishing the playlist it's using. It's certainly consistent in style but not for the type of channel I selected.

andyg
2006-04-05, 16:39
On Apr 5, 2006, at 7:33 PM, avaloncourt wrote:

>
> I have had a very strange and rather consistent occurrence using
> Pandora
> for three days. I generally turn on music in late evening. Beginning
> April 2 and continuing on April 3 and April 4, when I selected Pandora
> and an existing specific channel, the music began playing but had
> nothing to do with the channel selected. One channel was set up to
> play
> light vocal jazz but that's not what I got. Instead, I got female
> contemporary Country music. Obviously I was a bit confused why I was
> getting this selection so I backed up and reselected the channel and
> the SB3 told me the channel was already playing. I then shut off
> the SB
> and when I restarted the selection process the correct music played.

The next time it happens try rating down the tracks you don't like
and see if it eventually starts playing the correct style. It may be
that Pandora just gave you a mismatch that it thought was similar to
your selection. If that doesn't seem to work you should try the same
station at Pandora.com to see if the problem is with our system or
Pandora in general.

-Andy

avaloncourt
2006-04-05, 17:54
I'll give that a try. It seems odd that it plays the completely wrong music selections though no matter what it plays. I waited the first time it happened and it played 5 female country selections in a row for a jazz channel. That doesn't sound like a case of mistaken song selection since it's an entirely different genre. All the songs were of similar tempo and general type of song as well as gender of the artist.

If you feel it's a mismatch then why does powering down and then returning to the same channel play exactly the correct music? No hint of female country artists whatsoever. I fear rating the tracks will somehow incorporate that genre into my real one as some form of valid selection, just the wrong artist and then there will be an absolute mess.

abdomen
2006-04-06, 05:24
I have experienced an apparent total genre mixup like this on my SB with Pandora at least twice. If it happens again, I'll try to take detailed notes and post them.

ChrisOwens
2006-04-06, 09:41
I was a Pandora user before I even started working at Slim Devices.

This hasn't happened to me for a while, so maybe my additional input about what music I like or don't like has helped, or maybe their library grew enough to provide more music I like.

But what used to happen to me all the time was: Paula Abdul.

Now, I have nothing against Paula. She seems like a nice enough person, and I can't say anything about her various albums other than they are not really to my taste.

But here I was, trying to listen to Kraftwerk and Giorgio Moroder and Chemical Brothers and Future Sound of London, and suddenly out of left field comes Paula.

I don't like this song. MORE Paula. I don't like this song. EVEN MORE Paula. Or maybe Janet Jackson for a change-up. I REALLY DON'T LIKE THIS SONG.

Finally, after curbing three or four wild experiments, Pandora would seem to return to normal.

My theory is that it all has to do with Pandora's recommendations. Unlike Last.FM and some others, they don't compare what you like to what other people like, which might enable their system to reason "well everyone ELSE who likes jazz HATES country" but rather they come up with more-or-less objective observations about the music, which rarely seem to include "jazz" or "country".

So in your case, maybe Pandora thought 'well, he likes female vocalists, prominent guitars and extensive vamping (whatever the heck that is) so what the heck, I bet he'll like this country music'.

Just my theory.

Maybe I should see if I can talk one of the Pandora folks into visiting our forums now and then to give us their take. :)

djm
2006-04-08, 16:57
I've traded email a few times with Pandora and they admit they have much to do in terms of adding content and I've had many musical mishaps myself. "Dead Can Dance" channel playing dave matthews band (lol) or Judas Priest. I also have a Celtic Folk channel I created out of a bunch of Irish and Celtic artists and I get lots of twangy American country music on there ALOT. And a "Dub" channel with King tubby on it that for some reason wants to play Al Green and Sam Cooke and other gospel music.

I think the problem with Pandora is also it's strength. Rather than relying on the classic "type" format to guess your music (rock, jazz, etc), it's using its own decision process based on the style of guitar play or use of vocals. That certainly gives a different range than the standard 'type' or 'style' channel, but also gets ALOT of misses.

I think the ideal Pandora parameters would be both artists and songs as they use now but also RECORD LABEL and the standard type or style of music label. Those three pieces of info would probably form the perfect radio stations.

1. Tell us the songs and artists you like
2. Tell us the record labels that best illustrate your style (this would work best for smaller indie labels that cater to a particular style than the mega commercial labels like RCA, etc)
3. Tell us the style(s) you are looking for

With all three of these parameters considered you should get a far better 'tuned' channel while still offering some things you might not expect, but it would remove the real glarringly stupid things that tend to pop up far too often now with Pandora.

I've recommended these suggestions to Pandora.