PDA

View Full Version : Replaygain question???

mantis007
2006-04-05, 09:37
I want to lower the overall loudness of my FLAC collection. I have too much gain going to my amps and have to set the volume on my preamp way down so that the volume is low enough for late night listening. I'm using the digital out on my SB2. Could I use replaygain to lower the overall loudness of my FLAC's to accomplish this? I've tried inline attenuators on the amps but that resulted in a great loss of transparency. The amps have to adjustable gain pots... Any suggestions???

Thanks
Tony

abdomen
2006-04-05, 10:07
I am probably missing something, but it seems to me that, while you could alter the replaygain values on all your FLAC files by some offset, that would be no different than turning down the volume on the Squeezebox. Either way, as I understand it, the Squeezebox would do the math to reduce the volume before sending it to its digital outputs.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-05, 10:21
ReplayGain sets a standard of 89 dB.

Usually on most modern CDs with pop or rock music this results in a decrease in volume.

However if you have older or classical CDs, it may result in a volume increase.

So it's not exactly what you're looking for, although it tends to even the volume.

Josh Coalson
2006-04-05, 11:11
not sure what you're after either, but if it's to make the FLACs
quieter than other sources without having to fiddle with the
volume manually, but keep the relative volumes withing the FLACs
the same, then you can do this by setting the tags for all your
FLACs like so:

REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN=0 dB
REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN=0 dB

and use a negative preamp setting in the replaygain synthesis
options in slimserver.

Josh

sbjaerum
2006-04-05, 11:43
not sure what you're after either, but if it's to make the FLACs
quieter than other sources without having to fiddle with the
volume manually, but keep the relative volumes withing the FLACs
the same, then you can do this by setting the tags for all your
FLACs like so:

REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN=0 dB
REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN=0 dB

and use a negative preamp setting in the replaygain synthesis
options in slimserver.

Josh

Where do I find the 'replaygain synthesis options in slimserver'?

mantis007
2006-04-05, 11:54
I'm only using the SB2 digital out into my Tact 2.0S preamp/dac going into my Butler 2250 amps. I just have too much gain with my Raw Acoustics Apex II speakers - they are too efficient for my setup. I have to keep the volume on the Tact to -70db or it's too loud most of the time. The problem is that the Tact does it's volume digitally so it drops bits of resolution. The good thing is the Tact upsamples to 24 bits. I was told the SB outputs 20bits so I should be able to enable the digital output volume on the SB2 to reduce my volume a bit. Make sense? I just don't want to get below 16bits with my volume reductions ;)

Thanks
TOny

Josh Coalson
2006-04-05, 17:22
--- sbjaerum <sbjaerum.25t14z1144262701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
> Where do I find the 'replaygain synthesis options in slimserver'?

I think now it's in options in the web interface somewhere.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20746&page=3&highlight=ReplayGain

Josh

JJZolx
2006-04-05, 17:35
I want to lower the overall loudness of my FLAC collection. I have too much gain going to my amps and have to set the volume on my preamp way down so that the volume is low enough for late night listening. I'm using the digital out on my SB2. Could I use replaygain to lower the overall loudness of my FLAC's to accomplish this? I've tried inline attenuators on the amps but that resulted in a great loss of transparency. The amps have to adjustable gain pots... Any suggestions???
Why not just use the SB volume control? Should accomplish the same thing with a lot less hassle. It's done digitally within the Squeezebox, same as Replay Gain volume adjustments.

mantis007
2006-04-06, 10:34
JJZolx: I came to that conclusion too after someone else reminded me. The SB2 upsamples to 24 bits right?? So how does the volume scale (0-40) correlate to DB's? Say if the SB2 volume is set at 30 - how many bits of resolution is being removed from the 24bit? Would I be around 20 bits??

Thanks!

Tony

abdomen
2006-04-06, 11:50
JJZolx: I came to that conclusion too after someone else reminded me. The SB2 upsamples to 24 bits right?? So how does the volume scale (0-40) correlate to DB's? Say if the SB2 volume is set at 30 - how many bits of resolution is being removed from the 24bit? Would I be around 20 bits??

Thanks!

Tony

Here is some light reading on the subject of the SB2/3 volume math. :)

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=75489&postcount=10
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=87078&postcount=62
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2557