Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duhaas
    • Apr 2005

Palm or Pocket PC

What would you guys suggest for a PDA/REMOTE for the Squeezbox 2? Looking @ the Nokia 770, looks nice, but would rather have a more dual purpose. Been looking @ the Palm T|X, great looking screen, just wanted to know if anyone had experience using that as their remote? Any suggestions on a model of pocket pc that works well?
  • Kyle
    • Nov 2005

I use a Sony Clie, which has a Palm OS, although Sony doesn't make it anymore. The screen is pretty large -- not much smaller than the Nokia. It works fine with the built-in browser and the handheld interface.
    Regards,
    Jim

Comment

• Adam_F
      • Mar 2006

I have used a Sony Clie TH-55 and a Palm Lifedrive to control my SB3... both work fine. Any of the reasonably recent PalmOS devices with a built in web browser should do the job.

Adam.

Comment

• LMonch
        • Nov 2005

Client software for slimserver

Hi there ... you may want to look at http://www.telcanto.com/description_slimclient.htm.

From the website...

TelCanto for SlimServer is a Pocket PC client program which communicates with Slim Devices' SlimServer via a wireless LAN connection, and allows you to browse the SlimServer database and play your digital music via Squeezebox, SLIMP3, SoftSqueeze and other SlimServer-compatible software players.

Comment

• Michael Herger
          Babelfish's Best Boy
          • Apr 2005

Re: Palm or Pocket PC

> Hi there ... you may want to look at
          > http://www.telcanto.com/description_slimclient.htm.

....or at http://www.herger.net/SlimRemote/ ;-)

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
          Help translate SlimServer by using the
          StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)
          Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
          (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• duhaas
            • Apr 2005

love the great advice, how do you enjoy the lifedrive device from palm? worth the money?

Comment

• Adam_F
              • Mar 2006

I think the Lifedrive is a great PDA, but some users have complained of stability problems. The TX seems to have been better received, but lacks the 4GB hard drive and is only slightly cheaper than the Lifedrive now. Best to read the forums at Brighthand and decide for yourself...

Thank you for visiting the TechnologyGuide network. Unfortunately, these forums are no longer active. We extend a heartfelt thank you to the entire community for their steadfast support—it is really you, our readers, that drove

Adam

Comment

• Kyle
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mherger
                Michael, any chance EWE will ever support Palm's OS? Your project looks great, but I can't use it.
                Regards,
                Jim

Comment

• tyler_durden
                  • Dec 2005

My wife has T|X, but I haven't tried using it to control the server yet. The screen is great, and battery life seems to be more than adequate.

TD

Comment

• Michael Herger
                    Babelfish's Best Boy
                    • Apr 2005

Re: Palm or Pocket PC

> Michael, any chance EWE will ever support Palm's OS?

No idea. It has been asked before in the Ewe forums and answers were
                    always pretty short: "Ewe is not supported on Palm". Strangely enough Ewe
                    has a "skin" called Palm...

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
                    Help translate SlimServer by using the
                    SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
                    (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• rcrh
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Kyle
                      I use a Sony Clie, which has a Palm OS, although Sony doesn't make it anymore. The screen is pretty large -- not much smaller than the Nokia. It works fine with the built-in browser and the handheld interface.
                      Kyle, which Clie do you have? I have an NX70 and was nevery able to get a NIC to work with it.

Thanks

Comment

• Kyle
                        • Nov 2005

I've got a TH-55 with built-in wifi. It's got a great display. A used one would make a good SB remote. Too bad Sony quit making them.
                        Regards,
                        Jim

Comment

• Kyle
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mherger
                          No idea. It has been asked before in the Ewe forums and answers were always pretty short: "Ewe is not supported on Palm".
                          If they do, I hope you'll post an announcement here.
                          Regards,
                          Jim

Comment

• davep
                            • Apr 2005

I have been using the T|X for about 6 months as my all-purpose PDA and also use it sometimes as a remote for my SBs. It works fine using the Handheld skin and displays artwork, etc in a fairly snappy way. My only criticism would be the way it handles reconnects to the wireless network. In order to save power it will disconnect from wifi after a period (perhaps 1 minute) of inactivity. This is fine and as it should be. However when you then pick it up and tap on something in the slimserver skin it attempts to reconnect to the wireless but always fails. The work around is to remember to manually initiate a new connection before using the slimserver and although easy to do this is a bit of pain as I often forget and have to sit through a timeout before I can intervene again.

My memory is actually that when I first had it this behaviour was different and it would successfully reconnect automatically but I can't be sure. In any case it won't do it now.

Myself I am waiting to get my hands on a Nokia 770 to use as a remote.

davep

Comment

• Robert W. Anderson
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by duhaas
                              What would you guys suggest for a PDA/REMOTE for the Squeezbox 2? Looking @ the Nokia 770, looks nice, but would rather have a more dual purpose. Been looking @ the Palm T|X, great looking screen, just wanted to know if anyone had experience using that as their remote? Any suggestions on a model of pocket pc that works well?
                              I have owned several Palm OS PDAs over the years. I have always preferred their simplicity and performance over the Pocket PC. That said, I basically abandoned the Palm once they announced Windows Mobile running on their hardware.

Palm may claim that Palm OS isn't dead (though Palm Source was sold off), it is just a matter of time before Microsoft paints Palm OS into a phone OS.

IMHO.

For that reason, I would go with a Windows Mobile 5 device. Which one? Not sure. I have an i-Mate JasJar which is overkill (and the clamshell design is probably not convenient).

Comment

Working...