PDA

View Full Version : How to shuffle ALL songs

fred21
2006-04-05, 07:21
Beginners 101-

How do I shuffle ALL songs without it stopping after the current playlist total? For istance, I have 1850 songs and if I put it on shuffle- on / repeat- off and punch 'play'.

The playlist will show 1 of 123, 2 of 123, ... Shouldn't it say 1 of 1850?

Any help I can get from this would be greatly appreciated because I find it so frustrating. It also seems to stop every now and then, but maybe it's related to this situation.

I just bought this server a week ago...

mherger
2006-04-05, 07:31
> How do I shuffle ALL songs without it stopping after the current
> playlist total?

Use the Random Mix plugin. It's easiest and much faster than creating a
huge playlist and shuffling it.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

fred21
2006-04-05, 07:46
Sorry. When a playlist of 1,2, then 3... out of 125 (let's say) gets played, the player then stops. I thought it might create another mini playlist and keep creating little playlists that get totalled to the 1850 songs. Does that make sense? Anyway, will try the random mix item.

But just to clarify, my player and computer interface should say 1 out of 1850, shouldn't it?

mherger
2006-04-05, 08:37
> Sorry. When a playlist of 1,2, then 3... out of 125 (let's say) gets
> played, the player then stops.

You'll have to add _all_ songs to your playlist. The it will say "1 of
1850". If you hit play on one of the genres/artists/albums, then only
songs of that category will be played.

> But just to clarify, my player and computer interface should say 1 out
> of 1850, shouldn't it?

Yes, if you really have added all your songs.

Random Mix won't say so. It will simply start playing and add songs as
needed.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

fred21
2006-04-12, 09:20
I finally figured out how to plan ALL songs in random mode.

Had to get stats of how many songs in database, and put it in the box of how many songs to put in the playlist...

I get it, now. Duh!!!

snarlydwarf
2006-04-12, 09:38
I'm not sure why you're doing that...

If you want everything, go to something like 'Browse Albums' or 'Browse Artists' and at the All Songs, queue that...

But, that said, it's painfully slow that way especially as your library gets larger. Been there, done that.

It's much better to just use the RandomMix plugin, and tell it to keep adding things to your playlist.

This will have the same effect (minus the fact that you can get repeats), but will be much easier for the server to manage, as well as you.

Khuli
2006-04-13, 01:30
I'm not sure why you're doing that...
But, that said, it's painfully slow that way especially as your library gets larger. Been there, done that.

Mine takes about 30 secs to generate a playlist of 9300 songs.. once done it takes 2 or 3 months to play, by which time I'll have added a few more albums, so the time taken to generate it is pretty irrelevant.

RadioClash
2006-04-13, 21:03
Mine takes about 30 secs to generate a playlist of 9300 songs.. once done it takes 2 or 3 months to play, by which time I'll have added a few more albums, so the time taken to generate it is pretty irrelevant.

Same here. 9700 songs takes about 20 seconds to generate a playlist, and 20 weeks to listen to.

snarlydwarf
2006-04-13, 21:52
But it takes less than a second to turn on random play.

Sounds like a 30-fold increase and I still don't see the advantage except for "won't repeat a track"... but I can't imagine using the same playlist for weeks. I do actually kill randomplay sometimes and play an album or song I'm in the mood for.

(Not to mention that adding a few cd's a week makes the list outdated quickly.)