PDA

View Full Version : Rescan Music Library Takes Forever.

bdelp
2006-04-04, 16:18
SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

I have a very large (9,000 Album) MP3 collection. When I "Rescan Music Library" and choose "Look for new or changed music" it takes 24+ hours even when I only add a few (<20) Albums.

MP3 files are VBR and stored on an external 4 bay enclosure. It takes my backup software only minutes to find any additions.
Any suggestions? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. It's to the point that I dread Rescanning my music.

Bob

Michaelwagner
2006-04-04, 19:04
How is the enclosure connected to your computer?

bdelp
2006-04-04, 20:15
How is the enclosure connected to your computer?

USB Cables. One USB2 cable for each drive.
I've had no isues streaming or backing up my drives.
Enclosure: http://www.cooldrives.com/fodrsaiiandu.html
Thanks,
Bob

rudholm
2006-04-04, 20:49
I've seen some weird behavior as well with this version: 6.2.2 - 6804 - Linux - EN - iso-8859-1

When rescanning the library from scratch, I noticed the db files stopped growing. After a few hours I looked to see what it was doing and it seemed to be stuck in a recursive symlink while trying to walk the directory stucture. Odd thing was, it was doing this well outside the music library area. I deleted the recursive symlink and it then just sat getting the current time of day over and over.

I killed slimserver and restarted it. The db file(s) it created seemed to be ok because it didn't complain.

jake
2006-04-05, 08:30
9,000 albums on mp3? How long did it take you to rip all those CDs?

bdelp
2006-04-05, 08:44
9,000 albums on mp3? How long did it take you to rip all those CDs?

A loooong time.....over several years.
Bob

Siduhe
2006-04-05, 08:45
Any suggestions?

Bob

Yup. Enable the d_scan field in Debugging, open up the log.txt field (at the top of the debugging page) and run a full "Clear everything and rescan".

Keep an eye on the scan as it runs through. If you have a recursive link, or a bunch of files which are no longer where you used to put them, or a bunch of playlists which have moved (all three of which can be a cause of the behaviour you are witnessing) - this will show up in the log.

HTH

P.S. Although 9,000 albums is a lot - even if it's all working as it should - it would take a while. Best make a cup of tea and visit the bathroom first....

evanhood
2006-04-05, 21:24
Check to see if you have any large playlists, especially out of date ones. The scan verifies your playlists as well which took a LOOOOONG time for me. Cleaning up my playlists made it a lot faster.