PDA

View Full Version : Rush!

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-02, 17:19
Just ripped "Chronicles" and I forgot how good those guys can be!

There are some rather boring 9-minute guitar songs, and then there are more than a few gems:

Closer to the Heart
The Spirit of Radio
Distant Early Warning
Limelight
Manhattan Project
New World Man
A Passage to Bangkok
Tom Sawyer (of course)

I've never been good at understanding/hearing lyrics, but from what I heard of Manhattan Project, I knew I wanted to read it all.

The lyrics are here: http://www.lyricscafe.com/r/rush/068.htm

Awesome.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-02, 18:10
...and I turn on my TV and they're playing "Rush: Live in Frankfurt".

Now that is timing.

BTW in the background they have a video of Jerry Stiller (George's Dad from Seinfeld) asking the band to play A Passage to Bangkok, then jammin' when they do. Heh.

mrfantasy
2006-04-02, 19:43
"Chronicles" is probably decent, sound-wise, but the recent remasters are quite good. The original CDs really were lacking, especially considering the care with which the albums were recorded.

I think, most days, "Signals" is my favorite Rush album--although "Power Windows" may have some of my favorite songs, there are some clunkers (I generally find "The Big Money" annoying.)

But I like all phases of the band. R30 is worth picking up (which is I assume the same coverage as the TV show you mention. What channel is that on?)

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-02, 19:50
But I like all phases of the band. R30 is worth picking up (which is I assume the same coverage as the TV show you mention. What channel is that on?)

This was on MuchMoreMusic here in Canada from 9-10 PM tonight. http://www.muchmoremusic.com/extra/rush%5Fr30/

What's with the clothes dryers on stage? :-)

Michaelwagner
2006-04-02, 21:33
Toronto band, by the way. Toronto & St. Catherines.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-02, 21:48
They are more popular that I realized.

From http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/bio/0,,487924,00.html#bio

...twenty-three consecutive gold and platinum records, the third-longest string behind the Beatles and the Stones (and tied with KISS) in popular-music history.

Whoa!

Even the Beastie Boys did a live remix of Tom Sawyer. And it was complimentary, unlike their send-up of Elton John's Benny and the Jets.

Khuli
2006-04-03, 01:20
There are some rather boring 9-minute guitar songs, and then there are more than a few gems:

Funnily enough, I thought they became boring when they stopped doing any long guitar songs.. there's hardly a hint of a solo on their last few albums, though Vapor Trails has some great guitar work.

Personally I prefer their early/mid phase up till Power Windows, but one of my favourite bands for sure - caught them in concert for the R30 tour which was great after a 10-year break. The washing machines were bizarre though....

zooropa320
2006-04-03, 06:09
I'll add Working Man to the list of stellar tracks from Chronicles.

Craig
2006-04-05, 14:32
What's with the clothes dryers on stage? :-)

I think it's just a joke because Alex has loads of amps and Geddy's not using any.

Craig

chris.mason
2006-04-06, 02:41
I'm a big Rush fan, have been for years, so you can imagine my Rush collection was the first thing to re-appear as FLAC...!

As a guitarist, learning to play Alex's rifs is enormously challenging, and has given me an even greater admiration for his off-the-wall style and talent.

The one thing that has annoyed me over the years is the inconsistent production on their albums. Its rarely bee good - often too quiet, flat and thin. Hold Your Fire (esp. the remastered version) sounds good. So does Power Windows.

As for favourates, oooh, thats a hard one. Pretty much all the albums have things I love on them. Grace Under Pressure is probably one of my favourates - I love the intensity to it.

m1abrams
2006-04-06, 06:08
I too am a Rush fan. I remember going to see them in concert when I was in High School. It was the Roll the Bones concert, I was about 10 rows back. GREAT concert. Best part is the opener for them was Primus. First time I had ever heard Primus.

chris.mason
2006-04-06, 06:55
I too am a Rush fan. I remember going to see them in concert when I was in High School. It was the Roll the Bones concert, I was about 10 rows back. GREAT concert. Best part is the opener for them was Primus. First time I had ever heard Primus.

Hey, I was at that gig too! Went to both nights at Wembley. 7th row I think. And I agree, Primus were great.

Went to the R30 gig at Wembley as well. Its such a shame that Wembley sucks so much, accoustically. Seating arrangements weren't so good either this time. Still it was a good gig.

Khuli
2006-04-06, 07:16
Its such a shame that Wembley sucks so much, accoustically.

It really does.. but centre-stage and row 12 the sound was perfect ;)

GrepZen
2006-04-30, 09:18
Hemispheres: La Villa Stangiato == 17min of the very best of all three lads IMHO.

TimothyB
2006-05-01, 16:54
I prefer An Exercise in Self Indulgence :)

Ah, nostalgia, Rush was the second band I saw in concert (the first was America). It was the Hemispheres tour. Festival seating - I was swept off my feet and carried away in a sea of humanity.

I found a comparative review of the originals vs. the remasters vs. the 3 MoFi Gold discs.

http://www.soundstage.com/music/reviews/grev011.htm

http://www.soundstage.com/music/reviews/grev012.htm

(Summary: The remasters are generally better than the original. The MFSL 2112 wins handily over the remaster. The new Permanent Waves may even be worse than the original. The new Moving Pictures beats out the MoFi sonically. For Signals, the MoFi is subtly better than the original - but some words are missing from the mix - and the remaster is "different". Power Windows is now even louder. Hold Your Fire is an okay remaster.)

What about the later albums? (That review only went through Hold Your Fire.) Has Vapor Trails been remastered? After reading the infamous Rip Rowan column ( http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/8A133F52D0FD71AB86256C2E005DAF1C ) I never got it.

Anyone here A/Bed the originals, remasters and gold discs?

-- Timothy
When I heard When Dream And Day Unite, I though that Dream Theater might become the new Rush.

fairyliquidizer
2006-05-08, 12:02
Just ripped "Chronicles" and I forgot how good those guys can be!

Closer to the Heart
The Spirit of Radio
Distant Early Warning
Limelight
Manhattan Project
New World Man
A Passage to Bangkok
Tom Sawyer (of course)

I've never been good at understanding/hearing lyrics, but from what I heard of Manhattan Project, I knew I wanted to read it all.

The lyrics are here: http://www.lyricscafe.com/r/rush/068.htm

Awesome.

I don't remember Chronicles. A Passage to Bangkok was on 2112 I think, first track side two. Great song. I'm going to have to get some Rush, I lost all mine when my record collection was stolen.

I can remember my joy at discovering "the secret Rush chord progression". It allowed me to create endless Rush sounding songs. Must buy a guitar again.

A companion non-obtrusive,
Fairy

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-08, 12:09
I'm trying to remember what TV show I saw recently where they were about to embark on an epic fantasy-adventure "the likes of which could form a song by Rush".

:-)

It was either Futurama or Family Guy.

devo_live
2006-08-28, 15:35
I'm another UK Rush fan, and was well chuffed to see them on their 30th anniversary tour in Birmingham. I have to admit the last Rush album that really did it for me all the way through was 'Roll the Bones', which seems like a lifetime ago now. But I keep hanging on for a real return to form. My favourite three albums would be Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows, as they blended guitar, synths, and big themes superbly.

Slightly off topic, but for anyone else who likes that era, I'd highly recommend the first 30 Seconds to Mars CD.

tommypeters
2006-08-31, 12:46
I don't remember Chronicles. A Passage to Bangkok was on 2112 I think, first track side two.
Chronicles is a "Best Of".

I can also recommend the DVD "Rush in Rio" :)

Seineseeker
2006-09-01, 10:56
I'll add my name to the Rush fans who were at Wembley for R30. I was impressed how good the sound was, considering it was Wembley. Mind you I travelled from Paris to be there!

Thanks for the info on the remasters. No review of All the Worlds a Stage. I have that remaster and its pretty awful.

joncourage
2006-10-10, 10:09
Rush and Zep alternate for my favorite rock band. Different enough that it largely depends on whether I'm more in a classic rock mood or hard rock mood.

Listening to songs like YYZ and Jacob's Ladder on the SB routinely re-affirm the place of the SB in my heart (and in my system!).

Alex, Neil, and Geddy are three of the most amazing musicians ever to come together. I was just discussing with my wife what an amazing coincidence of geographic and generational fate brings the world Rush. It's just mind-boggling to me. I'd give my right nut for the opportunity to play with Neil and Geddy! (I play guitar, so, move over Alex! :-)

(if you're a Rush, fan, definitely read Neil's books)

Seineseeker
2006-10-10, 11:24
(if you're a Rush, fan, definitely read Neil's books)

Well I'd say if you're not a Rush fan definitely don't read them. I found them a bit dull to be honest. I wouldn't fancy an evening with Neil Peart. Alex Lifeson though I think that would be entertaining.

joncourage
2006-10-12, 07:01
Well I'd say if you're not a Rush fan definitely don't read them. I found them a bit dull to be honest. I wouldn't fancy an evening with Neil Peart. Alex Lifeson though I think that would be entertaining.

He can be a bit self-absorbed, nonetheless reading about life from the perspective of one of rock's legends is something I found interesting, and some of his trips and observations were entertaining, if occassionally mean-spirited.

Jeff52
2006-10-12, 13:06
If you are a fan of Rush and classic rock check out their 2004 EP entitled Feedback featuring the following tracks:

1. Summertime Blues
2. Heart Full Of Soul
3. For What It's Worth
4. The Seeker
5. Mr. Soul
6. Seven & Seven Is
7. Shape Of Things
8. Crossroads

Details here: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6741437&BAB=E

Michaelwagner
2006-10-12, 13:15
Rush as cover band. What a funny idea. The snippets I listened to weren't half bad, though.

Jeff52
2006-10-12, 14:48
Yeah, the liner notes indicate that the songs on Feedback were some of the songs played by the band members in their garage rock days of the mid 60's while they were with different bands prior to forming Rush. The songs are pretty true to the originals and sound great.

macattack
2007-03-12, 15:45
May 1st Rush has a new album out called Snakes & Arrows; additionally, their new single Far Cry was released today (it is supposed to be available at rush.com) -- great new tune.

mrfantasy
2007-03-13, 07:19
The new single sounds great--and at least as much as you can tell from a 96Kbps MP3 doesn't suffer from the horrible "loudness war" clipping of Vapor Trails.

gbruzzo
2007-03-13, 07:27
I love Rush - Exit Stage Left in particular.
A lot of their 80's records (which I nevertheless collected, for coherence's sake) are less interesting, just a little to cold and schmalzy.
I still find their late 70's work the most interesting (from 2112 onwards).

Recent records I have not listened to much, but I read somewhere that great personal trajedy struck the life of Neil Peart, and that , as a consequence, he profoundly altered his drumming style.

Nice group, technically impeccable, pity (some of) the vocals of Geddy Lee - trying to be Led Zeppelin but not quite.

Cheers,

Giacomo

macattack
2007-03-13, 16:15
I'm a huge fan of the Rush stuff and was just looking around Bootcity.org and found a great amount of live boots (some of lousy quality; some absolutely fantastic); anyone know the legality of these kinds of sites?

caldvd
2007-03-15, 09:12
Even the Beastie Boys did a live remix of Tom Sawyer. And it was complimentary, unlike their send-up of Elton John's Benny and the Jets.

I too am a Rush fan from a long time ago. From Moving Pictures days, my older guitar-playing brother, turned me on to all the early Rush. My one and only Rush concert was Grace Under Pressure at the Cow Palace in SF seated in the first ten rows, center. I was probably 12, I went with a good friend and my Dad, who to this day claims it was the loudest concert he's been at. I still love Rush, but I'm drawn to the early stuff, pre P/G , with 2112 being the ultimate.

So with that in mind, I decided to create a mashup of Tom Sawyer, 99 Red Balloons (Nena) and 99 Problems (Jay-Z). I did this around 2004. If anyone is interested in hearing it, contact me off-line as I'm not entirely sure of the leagality of the mashup and I don't want to get anyone, especially the moderators of this list, in trouble.

If it is possible to post the link here, just let me know.
caldvd (a.k.a. ibrow)

FunkyOdor
2007-07-10, 06:24
What about the later albums? (That review only went through Hold Your Fire.) Has Vapor Trails been remastered? After reading the infamous Rip Rowan column ( http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/8A133F52D0FD71AB86256C2E005DAF1C ) I never got it.

Seriously, don't let the production issues of Vapor Trails stop you from picking it up. It's, IMHO, the best album they've done since Moving Pictures. Probably their hardest album ever, and Alex Lifeson's guitar work is so textured you'd think it was multi-multi-tracked. He's said in interviews, though, that he played around a lot to come up with tones that would sound multi-layered but really only be a single track. The song "Earthshine" is the stand-out to me; just gives me goosebumps. It starts hard and then just keeps building intensity.

Geddy Lee's voice is off-putting at first on Vapor Trails if you are used to his more relaxed vocals of the past several albums (and the new one, Snakes and Arrows). He goes to the higher registers more often than he has in years, I guess because there's more urgency in these songs, but if you are a fan of the old Rush stuff, it doesn't take long to get used to again.

This is the first album they did after the death of both Neil Peart's wife and daughter. Several of the songs touch on this obliquely; how could it not infuse his lyrics. After they died he went on a months-long motorcycle ride across Canada and the US, which he chronicles in his "Ghost Rider" book. If you've read the book, you can hear some of that experience in a few of the songs ("Ghost Rider" (duh), "Vapor Trails", "How It Is").