X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • holderlin
    • Apr 2006

Hiccuping of signal

Hi,

When I start the browser to play music it tends to be an interrupted signal, a hiccuping, almost like a record skip. I close the browser and restart the SlimServer and usually it plays fine. Almost always it takes me two tries to get music playing smoothly. I've also noticed that it seems to take a long time to communicate between the the browser and SB3.
  • Mark Lanctot
    • Oct 2005

What OS are you using?

What version of SlimServer?

What file types are you playing?

What type of server do you have, and how is the processor load when this is going on?
    Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta)

Comment

• holderlin
      • Apr 2006

Sorry for the scant information.

I'm using Mac OSX.4.5 (dual 1.8 G5 with 1.5GB RAM))
      I don't know the version of SlimServer (I assume the latest because I downloaded it 3 days ago)
      I'm mostly listening to AIFF files but also AAC files on the local drive (I don't notice a difference in performance between the two file formats.)
      I don't understand the server/processor question. What is the server (I thought it was the SB3)? How do I determine the processor load?

I'm running on an AirPort wireless network.

Thanks for helping out the neophyte.
      Bob

Comment

• danco
        • Apr 2005

You can observe the CPU used by vartious processes from Activity Monitor (in the Utilities folder).

There are some issues, I think, with refreshing the Web browser. It sometimes takes over the system for just long enough to cause hiccups.

You don't, after all, have to use the browser at all, you can do most things from the Squeezebox using the remote. Even if this doesn't suit your normal way of using the SB, I think you should try it to see if there are still hiccups or not, as that will help in diagnosis.

Comment

• Mark Lanctot
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by holderlin
          I don't understand the server/processor question. What is the server (I thought it was the SB3)?
          Sorry, I should have been more specific. The Mac is the server, the SB3 is the client. I was just looking for hardware details, which you provided. Stuttering on web page load is an indication of insufficient resources, but your server definitely doesn't seem underpowered to me. Then again, I know nothing about Macs.
          Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta)

Comment

• danco
            • Apr 2005

Certainly the server is not underpowered.

But you did say you were running on an Airport network. If you mean Airport and not Airport Extreme, that is only 892.11b which is a little slow for aiff files.
            However, as you said it works the second time you try, I think my earlier suggestion is likely to be more relevant.

Comment

• holderlin
              • Apr 2006

Today I haven't had any troubles with it. I will try to use the remote. I'll have to get accustomed to the remote after all this time controlling music via keyboard.
              Thanks for suggestions, I'll let you know how things go.

Bob

Comment

Working...