PDA

View Full Version : slimserver losing playlists



mark3866
2006-04-01, 11:25
My slimserver is losing my playlists. I have a directory with about three .m3u playlists in it of varying sizes. One has only four songs in it. I am correctly pointed to it in slimserver and the playlists do not show up in browse playlists in either slimserver or on my shiny new squeezebox. Tech support has walked me through the usual stuff. The directory is correctly pointed to it in the software. (As a matter of fact when I make a new playlist DIRECTLY FROM SLIMSERVER it puts that playlist in the directory that is specified. I can see it in the dir, but it does not show up on slimserver or squeezebox.....) It is not even recognizing it's own playlist right after creating it, and it DOES create it in the specified directory....

Very Happy New Squeezebox Owner....
Mark Miner

Millwood
2006-04-01, 12:16
The 6.2.2 beta was broken sometimes between 3-22 and 3-25 and has not yet, AFAIK, been fixed. See (and vote for) bug 3201 http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3201

mark3866
2006-04-01, 13:03
You are correct. It is indeed 6.2.2.....

I did vote for it in the bug report!

Thank you,

mark miner

I discovered a workaround for it in the forum. Put your playlist in your folder of music and you can browse it. Not very elegant but it works for now!

pablolie
2006-04-02, 15:35
..M3U playlists have been broken for a while, I was surprised there was no more uproar about it. It seems to me many people in this forum have such an emotional connection to the SQB that they ignore the idiosynchrasies - when I reported the broken M3U lists, the automatic assumption was it was my setup that didn't work.

I think the playlist aspects of the SQB needs to be rock solid until the device really lives up to its potential, and yes, it should be a huge priority when it comes to fixes.

I love the SQB sound and build quality, but until the playlist aspect and its compatibility with WMP has been ironed out I think it does represent an unacceptable compromise. The occurrence of a bug like that is what separates a world class consumer product from a promising toy, in my opinion.

kdf
2006-04-02, 15:45
On 2-Apr-06, at 3:35 PM, pablolie wrote:

>
> The occurrence of a bug like that
> is what separates a world class consumer product from a promising toy,
> in my opinion.
>
it's a freaking beta...get off it.

Siduhe
2006-04-02, 15:57
The 6.2.2 beta was broken sometimes between 3-22 and 3-25 and has not yet, AFAIK, been fixed. See (and vote for) bug 3201 http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3201

I think this is fixed in the latest nightly - 6803. Try downloading again tomorrow and see if it's sorted for you.

I have to say that I've been using playlists extensively with 6.2.2. and upgrading daily without any problems (but not WMP or Itunes created playlists), so there does appear to be some element of setup in it.

jonheal
2006-04-02, 16:42
On 2-Apr-06, at 3:35 PM, pablolie wrote:

>
> The occurrence of a bug like that
> is what separates a world class consumer product from a promising toy,
> in my opinion.
>
it's a freaking beta...get off it.
You mentioned earlier growing weary with the incessant whining of the unwashed masses. I believe you may not have been kidding. :-)

pablolie
2006-04-02, 21:58
> it's a freaking beta...get off it.[/QUOTE]

You're making my point: I *must* use beta code because otherwise the product would not work as advertised (i.e. wireless connectivity would not work at all for me without going for the 6.2.2 "nightly"), and unfortunately given the fact I am in beta other functionality is compromised.

The day there's stable code out there that delivers on all the advertised functionality the SQB will have truly "crossed the chasm" from enthusiast product/toy for early adopters to "ready for mass market" world-class consumer product. There's no doubt it has huge potential for the latter, but it's not quite there yet as long as stuff like the playlist instabilities persist.

kdf
2006-04-02, 22:29
On 2-Apr-06, at 9:58 PM, pablolie wrote:

>
>> it's a freaking beta...get off it.
>
> You're making my point: I *must* use beta code because otherwise the
> product would not work as advertised (i.e. wireless connectivity would
> not work at all for me without going for the 6.2.2 "nightly")

I believe what you wanted to say was "thanks SD for the quick fix", or
did you ignore the recent posts and not bother to download the latest
nightly?
I mean, you are free to wait if you want...you always are.
-k

pablolie
2006-04-02, 23:43
> ... I believe what you wanted to say was "thanks SD for the
> quick fix", or did you ignore the recent posts and not bother
> to download the latest nightly?

This illustrates exactly the emotional attitude I am talking about. Those of us who talk about a persistent issue are spoilsports and/or suspected of blatant sleeping at the wheel.

I have the latest nightly. SS and SQB still ignore perfectly valid M3U playlists created via WMP whimsically. It defies logic, but hey, the issue is still there.

I appreciate all the hard work and the excellent product the SD team has delivered, but there's still a long way to go.

Case in point: the 4/2 nightly has introduced a hitherto non-existent instability I never had in my system, and the slimserver seems to be stopping with some regularity.

pablolie
2006-04-02, 23:57
...SS stops every time I rescan my music library - and it does not matter whether it's only the playlists or the entire thing. SS stops and goes offline. Upon getting it to run again, it works, however another scan will make it stop again. Latest Windows nightly.

The M3U plalist issue is still not fixed, the SS refuses to see the following test playlist created with WMP10:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,01-Rayando el Sol-Maná.mp3
..\My Music\Maná\Luna\01-Rayando el Sol-Maná.mp3

#EXTINF:0,04-Te Lloré un Río-Maná.mp3
..\My Music\Maná\Luna\04-Te Lloré un Río-Maná.mp3

#EXTINF:0,03-Vivir Sin Aire-Maná.mp3
..\My Music\Maná\Luna\03-Vivir Sin Aire-Maná.mp3

kdf
2006-04-03, 00:02
It wasn't your talk about an issue. It was your use of that issue to start flinging motivational sinkholes just to make you feel better.

frankly, I agree that there are issues. I disagree with what you feel are the appropriate ways of pushing for change. me, i tuck in and write. It certainly isn't for the gratitude. now, i know that's not for everyone, but if you think other volunteers are encouraged by negative labels...I guess you can see for yourself how well that works out for you. hint, it has something to do with flies and honey.

I suggest you wait until another official release before making more statements about official release policies. After all, its your exact position that is part of the reason 6.2.2 is NOT being released prematurely. double-edge swords can be a real bugger.

and tired old arguments just stay tired.


if your sever is now stopping, please post a thread in beta forum, explaining what you are doing at the time and what message appears in the event viewer so that someone can start working on your instability so that it may be gone before the release.

kdf
2006-04-03, 00:05
On 2-Apr-06, at 11:57 PM, pablolie wrote:

>
> ...SS stops every time I rescan my library.
>
do you see anything in the event viewer?
>
> OK, wait for the next nightly, and keep my fingers crossed.
>
please report the event viewer message, so that the chances of a fix
are improved.

> Sorry to sound irritated, but I am.

yeah, everyone gets that.

>
> The sound quality is fantastic, and I appreciate and enjoy that.
>
> But beyond that, the SQB is limited by some continuing issues. And I am
> aware that we're all part of the beta community that will stick it out
> until the concept matures and triumphs, but however I wish the very
> basic functionality (play songs + playlists) was covered before the
> fancier features are introduced.
>
and we all wish it was just that simple. thank you for your patience.
-k

pablolie
2006-04-03, 00:37
I challenge you to find a single place where my tone was off. I have stated a problem I have with the product, period. I have not labeled anyone or anything. Not once, ever, in any of my messages to these forums.

So I do resent your trying to portray me as the prototype of an hysterical customer that voices his frustration lashing abuse at support staff etc. Believe me, working in high tech I have been on the receiving end myself, and it's out of character for me to ever do that.

Working in high tech in Silicon Valley myself, I am sorry but I can not actively participate in fixing any of the issues. I bought a very promising product that was advertised with certain functionality, and I do not think why it is a capital sin to voice my observation that not all that basic functionality is there yet.

If that makes me a pariah in your eyes in this forum it simply indicates perhaps they're not as open as some think.

kdf
2006-04-03, 00:51
On 3-Apr-06, at 12:37 AM, pablolie wrote:
>
> If that makes me a pariah in your eyes
>
it doesn't.

please report the message in your event viewer for the server stoppage
that you have reported.
you surely must have enough time to spare to help out in that capacity.
others will take care of the rest and help make sure that the next
official release, is worth an official release.
-k

kdf
2006-04-03, 01:11
.
The M3U plalist issue is still not fixed, the SS refuses to see the following test playlist created with WMP10:

Do yourself a big favour, and post details of this to the beta forum. you'll have more effective eyes on it at that point. refer to bug 3201 if you feel that this is a case of playlists not appearing. however, I would think that the accented characters have more to do with it in the case of that single playlist not appearing. I am not, however, the one you really need to have seeing this. To do that, you'll have to follow my instructions above (and posted previously) and post to the Beta forum.

Siduhe
2006-04-03, 02:10
Pablolie,

I see from previous threads that I was the person who initially tried to help you out with your playlist problem. I'm sorry to hear it is still continuing.

From reviewing that old thread, I'm also sorry you interpreted my attempts to help you track down the cause of the problem as me having an "automatic assumption that your set up didn't work". I was really just trying to help, based on my own personal experience. In fact, you seemed to work it out the problem for yourself - being the use of accented characters in the playlist, as with the example you give below.

I've downloaded the latest nightly and it's working fine for me with a full rescan, and with creating playlists in both MusicIP, via the web interface and with WMP. That leads me to conclude there is something different in our setups that makes it work for me and not for you.

KDF's right in that the people who will be able to help you fix this need to see two things - the log output from the Event Viewer and also the output from the d_scan debugging. When you kick off a scan - what happens - is it a certain song that make Slimserver fall over ? Also how are you tagging the accented files ?

I'm also more than happy to import the songs and playlist you are trying to use into my setup and see if it works for me. Let me know.

Robin Bowes
2006-04-03, 06:03
pablolie wrote:
> I challenge you to find a single place where my tone was off. I have
> stated a problem I have with the product, period. I have not labeled
> anyone or anything. Not once, ever, in any of my messages to these
> forums.

I can understand your frustration but if you're using non-release
software then all guarantees are off.

Which brings me to my next point: you're in the wrong place.

You're using non-release software so you should be reporting problems in
the Beta forum/mailing list.

R.

pablolie
2006-04-03, 11:13
[QUOTE=Siduhe]

> ... I see from previous threads that I was the person who
> initially tried to help you out with your playlist problem.
> I'm sorry to hear it is still continuing ...

I truly apprciated your help, and learned a lot about M3U playlists due to it. So I extend my sincere thanks, and no, I never had the impression you were trying to tell me it was *my* problem. I'd be a fool if I dismissed the possibility there's a setup problem a priori.

The odd thing is that some playlists make it, some don't, whithout much of a rhyme or reason. I'll keep waiting, and once I gain some more insights into what may cause the problem I'll post a detailed trouble ticket. Right now, given the fact I don't have the time to trouble-shoot, all I can do is occasionally try to make a change, and see if it helps. Up to this point, nothing has. And yes, I did manually edit paths just to make sure, as you very helpfully suggested.

mark3866
2006-04-03, 18:50
Ok I originally asked the question that started this discussion. I completely uninstalled slimserver and installed the 6.2.1 "stable" release. The playlists are NOT recognized, and further more, the on the fly playlists that I make from INSIDE slimserver are made and stored in my playlist directory but are NOT RECOGNIZED by slimserver. My playlists are still "EMPTY"

Mark Miner

pablolie
2006-04-03, 20:32
> ... I completely uninstalled slimserver and installed the
> 6.2.1 "stable" release. The playlists are NOT recognized ...

So do I - I go back to 6.2.1 after running into some issue with the betas. I do understand everything we're being told about beta code etc - on the other hand, I can't recall those caveats being highlighted on the "buy now!" page... :-)

With 6.2.1, what works is to create playlists in SS itself. They disappear here and there, for some reason, but all in all they seem to make it OK if you abide by the following cardinal rule:

Keep the "My Playlist" folder where SS likes it, and make that the default. In my case, it's at the same folder hierarchy as the artists are. I never created the folder, by the way, SS did.

So if you create playlists within SS and have that "My Playlist" folder as your default, things should work for plalists you save off the SS menu onn the "right" in your browser. It is constricting, and at times you have to rescan, but I'll live with the predictable limitation rather than embracing unpredictability. I am still married, after all. :-)

*Forget* about creating playlists with Windows Media Player 10, it will not work. From looking at the M3Us in text format it seems WMP and SS use different formats. I assume they should be compatible, but aren't. The SS is more accurate with the file path (it spells out "G:\Music\Artist", while WMP like to store "..\Music\Artist\"), but editing will not overcome the issue.

I'll go for a different programm to create playlists and overall manage the music collection, but I haven't put my research in yet to decide what to go for.

ceepan
2006-04-05, 04:26
My playlists seem to have been lost since I moved from SlimServer 6.2.1 to 6.2.2 (31st march). Looking at the bug mentioned at the beginning of this post, it suggests that the problem has now been solved. I will try this when I get home.

When I first installed the 6.2.2 version some of my plalists where there, but the ones containg the address of internet radio stations were missing. Was this part of th same issue that should have now been resolved?