PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver fails to start/stay on

rpalarea
2006-03-31, 19:44
This only just happened...has been running fine.

I went to start Slimserver and the tray icon said "starting" with the icon flashing (lights on...then off). It stays in this state for a while...sometimes forever and never starts.

Other times, it starts, but when the web interface launches, neither frame comes up and the server stops running.

I downloaded the newest version and installed over the top of my existing version, but that didn't do anything.

Ideas?

Thanks!

reduakm
2006-03-31, 23:47
That is the same thing that happens to me, but I just installed it for the forst time today to use with my new sb3.

gdsqueeze
2006-04-01, 04:59
I had the same problem last week when I was trying to setup Music IP Mixer 1.6B2, I disactivated the music magic in slim server, it seems to fix the problem. I have not tried seting up Music mixer again after that.

rpalarea
2006-04-01, 05:26
It seemed to have happed when I went into settings and set Slimserver to use MoodLogic, similar to what you're talking about. I can't even get the web interface to come up to disable MoodLogic now. Is there a manual or command line disable?

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-01, 08:47
That is the same thing that happens to me, but I just installed it for the forst time today to use with my new sb3.

If it's the first time you installed it, try reinstalling it.

The installer has been having problems registering slim.exe as a service lately.

reduakm
2006-04-01, 09:10
I will try to reinstall it tonight. If I go to the program folder and doubleclick on slim.exe I can get it to work, but then I have a terminal window open that I can't close. So registering slim.exe does seem like something. We will see.

rpalarea
2006-04-01, 09:44
I ended up uninstalling, downloading and re-installing. It works now, but that seems like an extreme solution.

gdsqueeze
2006-04-01, 09:50
I am a bit confused, what would be the trick to make MagicIP Mixer to play nice with slimserver ? I could not get it to work as I mentionned before.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-01, 09:56
I ended up uninstalling, downloading and re-installing. It works now, but that seems like an extreme solution.

It's a bug in the installer. BTW you didn't have to re-download it.

I would fill out a bug at http://bugs.slimdevices.com but it's never happened to me so I don't have complete details. Hopefully someone with this problem will.

MrStan
2006-04-01, 10:04
It happened to me recently when updating from 6.1.1 on Windows XP. The installer failed to install Slim as a service although I had asked it to start automatically.

All you need to do is follow the instructions in the Wiki, http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?WindowsInstallationGuide
Note:
While you are given the option to run Slimserver service automatically when you install on Wiindows, you may want to install and run the SlimServer Windows service by hand.
Follow these instructions:

Open a "cmd" window and type "cd C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server". Type "slim.exe -install auto" to install the SlimServer software so it will automatically start as a Windows Service the next time you reboot.

This fixed the problem for me.

reduakm
2006-04-03, 07:19
Uninstalling and reinstalling worked. Before I uninstalled I looked in services and noticed that there was no slimserver service. When I reinstalled I chose the option to always run or run when windows starts, I can't remember. It's better for me anyway because I don't have to log in.

jwarburton
2006-04-18, 06:25
also had this problem on a Windows 2003 server