PDA

View Full Version : Squeezenetwork problems

leesky
2006-03-31, 19:00
I've had the SB for 2 months and encountered no problems-until 2 days ago. The latest is that I cannot get any stations to play, which is really bad since I listen to internet radio exclusively, and up to 6 hours a day- so I'm hurtin'. Any thoughts?

e3954
2006-04-09, 13:17
I have exactly the same problem. Up until about two days ago, Pandora was rock steady: Now it breaks up regularly on my wireless SB. However, pandora.com shows no problems on the PC. I'm listening to KUSC classical streaming faultlessly right now, after getting fed up with constant breaking up on whatever squeezenetwork/pandora station I listen to. A firmware update occurred yesterday but it didn't help.....

fcm4711
2006-04-10, 03:13
Hi there

I get the following error when selecting Pandora on SN.

'Error communicating with Pandora server. Please try again later.'

Felix

ccrider
2006-04-10, 13:30
I'm getting same thing:

'Error communicating with Pandora server. Please try again later.'

-both from web interface online and from squeezebox

the web browser stream works, just not with the SB.

Any ideas? I tried updating the firmware but to no avail...

andyg
2006-04-10, 13:41
ccrider wrote:
> I'm getting same thing:
>
> 'Error communicating with Pandora server. Please try again later.'
>
> -both from web interface online and from squeezebox
>
> the web browser stream works, just not with the SB.
>
> Any ideas? I tried updating the firmware but to no avail...

There's currently a network problem between SN and the Pandora server. We're
working on it.

-Andy

andyg
2006-04-10, 18:22
The network issues have been resolved and Pandora is working again.

yockers
2007-03-21, 11:20
Sorry, don't agree.

If I browse direct to Pandora.com, it streams as well as it has done for over a year for me now. However, through the Squeezebox, it breaks up all the time - to the extent that it's not listenable (if that's a word).

What's happened please ? This is my favorite service of the Squeezebox and love showing it off.

yockers
2007-03-21, 11:28
I think I've just worked it out.

I'm in the UK and been enjoying the service - licensing agreement invalid or not - I'm still paying so didn't feel bad.

Now, if I try it from the web browser from my work PC, it works fine. But, my employer's public IP addresing scheme is a US one.

When I try from my home PC in the UK, it breaks up like my Squeezebox does.

So it looks like they've deliberately degraded the service to non-US based IP address ranges, to the point where we can't use it. Clearly a lot of us Brits had worked out how to get around the geographic retriction on registrering for it.

I'm gutted if I'm proved right, so come on SlimDevices - lobby Pandora to sort the UK license out - pronto !

One Pandora subscription cancellation on it's way (sob, sob)

-Stef-
2007-03-22, 13:27
(...)So it looks like they've deliberately degraded the service to non-US based IP address ranges, to the point where we can't use it. Clearly a lot of us Brits had worked out how to get around the geographic retriction on registrering for it.
(...)

Well, I live in the Netherlands (that's pretty non-US as well) and I don't experience any problems with Pandora. I should add that I still am in my free 90-days period and that I am not (yet) a paying listener.

yockers
2007-03-23, 02:57
Q: What do I do if the audio cuts in and out (i.e. the audio "hangs," or stops playing, then starts again)?

A. A frequent cause of this issue is attempting to use Pandora from outside the United States. Due to licensing issues, we cannot legally offer Pandora outside the U.S. at this time. Relaying streaming media is often problematic through a large number of relays from the original server. We plan an international release in many different countries when the licensing issues are resolved, at which time we will introduce local servers closer to each country to prevent this from occurring at that time.

Now the technical aspect of their answer is rubbish, otherwise every other service available on the Internet wouldn't work, but to me, it says, they're conforming to their licensing obligations.

I really want to be wrong, but as I sit here listening to Pandora, having VPN'd into the office without issue, I know it's not my pc, not my own link, it's geographic, as I cannot get the service from UK addressing.

I cannot express how gutted I am at this. SlimDevices - Pandora is a major major selling point for your kit - you need to take action !

snarlydwarf
2007-03-23, 08:43
I really want to be wrong, but as I sit here listening to Pandora, having VPN'd into the office without issue, I know it's not my pc, not my own link, it's geographic, as I cannot get the service from UK addressing.

I wouldn't rule out your own link at home: sure, you have enough "available bandwidth", but many providers do "bandwidth shaping" on specific services, especially to tone down the usage of BitTorrent. (And, much slimier: a few have shaped Skype traffic to barely functional so they can push their own VOIP services...)

yockers
2007-03-24, 03:34
Went around a mates house last night who's ISP is BT - I'm on Virgin Media aka NTL.

His access is fine. So maybe it's not geographic and is ISP after all.

Sigh.

yockers
2007-03-24, 08:26
Well, sorry for wasting your time if you've been reading my little journey here, but here we go for the solution to this problem.

It only applies if you're a Virgin Media / NTL Telewest customer.

It turns out that Virgin are switching of their transparrent proxies that we all go through. You may or may not have been aware of the fact that you were going through one, but you were, and now, you're not.

So, I find the list of NTL's proxies, and from my PC find that with the proxy manually set, Pandora works a treat !

Logged myself onto Squeeze Network, configured the HTTP proxy, and hey presto, I have my beloved Pandora back.

Just hope Virgin keep those proxies left on !

Georgetownguy
2007-03-25, 09:53
I am in the US...Having terrible Pandora Problems...I am on Verizon. Is it p;ossible that something like this is happening? How do I configure my proxies if it is?

Well, sorry for wasting your time if you've been reading my little journey here, but here we go for the solution to this problem.

It only applies if you're a Virgin Media / NTL Telewest customer.

It turns out that Virgin are switching of their transparrent proxies that we all go through. You may or may not have been aware of the fact that you were going through one, but you were, and now, you're not.

So, I find the list of NTL's proxies, and from my PC find that with the proxy manually set, Pandora works a treat !

Logged myself onto Squeeze Network, configured the HTTP proxy, and hey presto, I have my beloved Pandora back.

Just hope Virgin keep those proxies left on !

yockers
2007-03-25, 14:42
I am in the US...Having terrible Pandora Problems...I am on Verizon. Is it p;ossible that something like this is happening? How do I configure my proxies if it is?

Well, every ISP is different, and as you'll see from my little journey, heading of in totally the wrong direction before working things out, the scope of what could be affecting your problem is wide.

As you're in the US, I'd suggest getting in touch with Pandora directly, assuming you've got other streaming services working well.

But try and check some things out first, as they'll only ask you anyway:

Does the fault occur with just the SB, or does it occur when browsing to Pandora's page too ?

Do other streaming services work okay (Rhapsody, Live365 etc)

Is your SB running a latest flash ?

And so on...

Good luck !

Georgetownguy
2007-03-25, 15:13
Thanks. I am running the latest Flash. I don't have any problems accessing the Pandora Home page. From the comments on the site - it looks like it may be a Pandora server issue since a few other people are having the same issue. How do you contact Pandora?

Also I will double check that I am running the latest SB3 Flash. Does anyone know what that is and how I get it off my SB?

Thanks.

Well, every ISP is different, and as you'll see from my little journey, heading of in totally the wrong direction before working things out, the scope of what could be affecting your problem is wide.

As you're in the US, I'd suggest getting in touch with Pandora directly, assuming you've got other streaming services working well.

But try and check some things out first, as they'll only ask you anyway:

Does the fault occur with just the SB, or does it occur when browsing to Pandora's page too ?

Do other streaming services work okay (Rhapsody, Live365 etc)

Is your SB running a latest flash ?

And so on...

Good luck !fs

Georgetownguy
2007-03-25, 18:02
Well...I think I got it and I would advise everyone else to consider updating Firmware. Turns out I had firmware version 67 and updated to 76 which is the latest. Works perfectly now. I updated firmware by holding down the BRIGHTNESS button...let it update and restart (takes a few mins). All is working fine so far. Odd to me that this started just the past few days but hopefully it solves everyone's issues both with Pandora and SNwork.

mdorre
2007-03-26, 11:00
updated my firmware.. I think. I held down the brightness button until it started doing its thing, everything came back up ok, and I was able to start playing the station which would not play before. it's only been a few minutes but it's gotten through a whole song, which had been very rare in the past few days. I would still recommend a cheap laptop, at least with this I can rate up or down with the remote.
-----------------------------------------------
Shortly after I got my squeezebox I realized I would have been better off buying a crap laptop and hooking it up to my stereo.. but I love pandora so I don't mind that I 'adopted early' or whatever..

That said, it was always squirrely.. but most of the time I could listen to it just fine. I had a problem with specific stations (usually old, monolithic stations) and decentralized my stations seemed to fix this.

For the past few days it has just been pointless to listen to pandora on the squeezebox. I don't know what's going on but I'm stuck here with my $300 piece of junk and my friends all listen to pandora (FREE MIND YOU) on their computers.

quick mix is impossible, most stations I want to listen to (fairly new w/o a lot of up/down ratings) won't play, or will play hardly a minute before locking up and then randomly deciding to play again half an hour later.. all this thing is good for is playing my mp3's off my computer.

What is up with pandora/squeezenet?

everything seems to work fine when I play it (pandora) on my computer.

andyg
2007-03-26, 11:14
On Mar 26, 2007, at 2:00 PM, mdorre wrote:

> What is up with pandora/squeezenet?

So far it looks like it's probably some issue with Pandora's
servers. I have been playing Pandora all day with no problems, so
it's not really something I can debug at this point.

andyg
2007-03-26, 11:39
On Mar 26, 2007, at 2:14 PM, Andy Grundman wrote:

>
> On Mar 26, 2007, at 2:00 PM, mdorre wrote:
>
>> What is up with pandora/squeezenet?
>
> So far it looks like it's probably some issue with Pandora's
> servers. I have been playing Pandora all day with no problems, so
> it's not really something I can debug at this point.

Sure enough, as soon as I posted this my QuickMix had the same
problem you're all describing. I've put in a change that I hope may
fix the issue, it'll roll out to all the production SN servers over
the next 2 hours.

mdorre
2007-03-28, 04:19
I posted earlier about problems with pandora over my squeezebox.. held down brightness until it reset and it seemed to be working ok then, tonight, same problems :( I have to say I very much regret buying a squeezebox. This is not acceptable that I buy something for $300 so I can listen to pandora and I get this kind of service in return.

MAKE IT WORK

Robin Bowes
2007-03-28, 05:34
mdorre wrote:
> I posted earlier about problems with pandora over my squeezebox.. held
> down brightness until it reset and it seemed to be working ok then,
> tonight, same problems :( I have to say I very much regret buying a
> squeezebox. This is not acceptable that I buy something for $300 so I
> can listen to pandora and I get this kind of service in return.
>
> MAKE IT WORK

This is not an official support forum.

Fellow users may share experiences and offer advice.

Slim Devices employees may even pop up from time to time and do similarly.

But, if you have a specific problem that is causing you concern, please
contact Slim Devices support directly.

R.

mdorre
2007-03-30, 21:05
Hi I am sharing my experience...

I paid $300 to get a box I could listen to pandora on but it's only useful really for playing mp3's!

I know the official thing to do is to file some sort of official support ticket but in my experience (with just about ANY product) is that the customer is blamed somehow as being inept or just having an attitude problem..

if it keeps up I guess I might do that... sigh. Really I don't care what they care about what I think

I GOT RIPPED

Dan Sully
2007-03-30, 21:57
* mdorre shaped the electrons to say...

>I know the official thing to do is to file some sort of official
>support ticket but in my experience (with just about ANY product) is
>that the customer is blamed somehow as being inept or just having an
>attitude problem..

I think that you'll find the Slim Devices support staff some of the most
knowledgeable and caring customer team in the business. And if for some
reason they can't help you find & fix the issue, there is a 30 day money back
guarantee.

-D
--
Adobe Photoshop - When you want the truth. Real bad.

Upgradealways
2007-03-31, 07:06
Hey guys, I have had the same issue for over a week now. Pandora will play one song and stop. I need to logoff and re log in order to get another song playing then it stops. Sometimes it will go to the next song but the delay between the two song can be as much a 30 seconds.

I tried it again this morning and I get a (connecting...) message, mind you the song info is scrolling but no sound. So Pandora does not work at all. Other info. I am still on 6.5.0. I upgraded to 6.5.1 and upgraded the SBs, when I noticed I had the same issue, I went back to 6.5.0. I don't know if 6.5.2 would fix but it seems that has an issue with WOL. If can't use WOL I no longer have the need for a SBs.

New info:

I turned everything off, router, computers etc.. rebooter the 2 SBs, new IP addresses were assigned. I Tried pandora, I got one and half song and now the sound just stopped, the music info is still scrolling. I just pressed play again while the info is scrolling and now is says (connecting...)with no success. I went out of the Pandora menu, came back in and chose the same rario, it says "already playing". I went back and chose another station, it is now playing. For sure will will run into problem after the first song.

Upgradealways
2007-04-05, 07:53
So I bit the bullet and upgraded to the nighly build 6.5.2. Everything works find now. I had also read the WOL would not work or had issues with 6.5.2, in my case it works so I am back to be a happy camper

Cheers