PDA

View Full Version : What streaming protocol does Squeezebox 3 use?

egd
2006-03-31, 18:15
Hi

Possibly a dumb questio, but I'm in the process of configuring my ReadyNAS NV and need to select the streaming protocols to enable. To this end I'd like to enable only that necessary to be able to talk with my SB3. I've searched the forum but didn't find specific mention of the protocol. My choices on the ReadyNAS are:
- UPnP AV, enables playback of videos, music and pictures from UPnP AV network media players; and/or
- Home Media Streaming Server, enables playback of videos, music and pictures from network DVD and media players.

Any info much appreciated.

Thx

snarlydwarf
2006-03-31, 18:15
Neither: it uses SlimProto, which is implemented in Slimserver.

egd
2006-03-31, 18:26
Neither: it uses SlimProto, which is implemented in Slimserver.

Meaning I do not need to enable either protocol in the ReadyNAS and my SB3 will still talk to it?

snarlydwarf
2006-03-31, 18:26
No, meaning you need to run Slimserver somewhere.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-31, 18:29
Just download Infrant's version of SlimServer:

http://www.infrant.com/download/addons/SlimServer_6.2.1

egd
2006-03-31, 18:30
No, meaning you need to run Slimserver somewhere.

Understood, slimserver needs to be installed on the ReadyNAS, however, from the above mentioned post I am also inferring that neither of the protocols referred to need to be enabled in the ReadyNAS setup?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to be loading > 20,000 songs and want to maximise the ReadyNAS' performance. One of the tweaks in this regard to to disable unnecessary services.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-31, 18:31
Understood, slimserver needs to be installed on the ReadyNAS, however, from the above mentioned post I am also inferring that neither of the protocols referred to need to be enabled in the ReadyNAS setup?

Yes, SlimProto is different from both of those protocols.