PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox needs to be linked?

MartinP
2006-03-30, 18:22
I've been happily listening to music via Squeezenetwork ever since getting my Squeezebox - it connected automatically and assigned itself a PIN. But this evening for the first time I thought I'd check out the Squeezenetwork web site (to see if I could customize the favorites). Immediate problems!

1. I can't register - I get the message 'Unknown PIN code provided.'

2. My squeezebox displays the message: 'This player needs to be linked.' (At first I though it said, 'This player needs to be liked,' and I gave it a kiss. I'm short-sighted.)

What does this mean? How do I link my player? What will happen if I link my player? Does it mean, linked to Slimserver (which is turned off at the moment)?

I've searched the forums for 'linked' and nothing comes up. Any help would be welcomed.

Martin

andyg
2006-03-30, 18:43
On Mar 30, 2006, at 8:22 PM, MartinP wrote:

>
> I've been happily listening to music via Squeezenetwork ever since
> getting my Squeezebox - it connected automatically and assigned itself
> a PIN. But this evening for the first time I thought I'd check out the
> Squeezenetwork web site (to see if I could customize the favorites).
> Immediate problems!
>
> 1. I can't register - I get the message 'Unknown PIN code provided.'

Did you enter the PIN that is displayed on your player? It is a 5-
digit number and should be in the main menu or Settings -> Squeezebox
PIN.

MartinP
2006-03-30, 19:07
Aha! Only 4 digits were visible. Now I am registered - thank you!

Am I now linked, I wonder? I'll go downstairs and see....

...apparently so - the 'needs to be linked' message has vanished. But now a different PIN number is displayed! Remarkable.

...and now I'm happily editing my Favorites! Excellent!

I do like my squeezebox. I do!

andyg
2006-03-30, 19:37
On Mar 30, 2006, at 9:07 PM, MartinP wrote:

>
> Aha! Only 4 digits were visible. Now I am registered - thank you!

Which screen were you on and at what font size? I'd like to always
have the full PIN be displayed so there's no confusion.

>
> Am I now linked, I wonder? I'll go downstairs and see....
>
> ...apparently so - the 'needs to be linked' message has vanished. But
> now a different PIN number is displayed! Remarkable.

The PIN displayed now is if you wanted to, for example, move the box
to a different SN account. Otherwise you can ignore it.

MartinP
2006-03-30, 20:03
The menu structure seems a bit different now the Squeezbox is 'linked.' It was wherever the PIN is displayed on an un-linked SB. I should have waited for it to scroll, but instead I pushed the right arrow, and that's where the message about getting linked appeared. Hopefully that helps you figure out where in the menu I was.

I'm pretty sure the size was medium. (I'm short-sighted, but not that short-sighted!)

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to display the whole PIN. With many strings on the SB one can tell when they're being truncated. But I had no expectations about the length of the PIN, and so the possibility I wasn't seeing it all didn't occur to me.

P.S. it's really cool to be able to switch favorites, and turn the SB on and off, change volume, all over the web via Squeezenetwork! I keep finding new features about your product that I really like.