PDA

View Full Version : Best re-release of 2006

gandt
2006-03-30, 14:37
Guess it's ok in this part of the forum just to rave enthusiastically...(takes deep breath) My life in the Bush of Ghosts -Brian Eno and David Byrne - the remaster is just fantastic, just ripped it to flac and it sounds wonderful, layers of instumentation are revealed and the groundbreaking mix of samples sounds and truely infectious beats is sounding like it was made yesterday, well except for being vastly more imaginative than 90% of the albums that have tried to follow in its footsteps of course...

Too often re-releases are just done for profit and add little to previous versions. I try to choose carefully otherwise I'd end up buying the same damn albums over and over.Anyone care to recommend other recently re-released albums that do justify a fresh trip to the (real or virtual) record store?

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-30, 15:33
The Tragically Hip - Yer Favourites is an excellent remaster. Two discs, 38 tracks (2 new ones), $9.99 CDN.

Some of their older material sounded quite compressed on the original albums. This sounds much better.

Can't go wrong!

'Course this re-release was 2005, but seeing as 2006 is still in its infancy...

Pale Blue Ego
2006-03-30, 17:48
Not sure if these were released this year or in 2005, but ZZ Top's "Tres Hombres" and "Fandango" sound superb in their new remasters. Gritty, grungy, good bass - just fine-sounding versions of some classic Texas boogie. Cheap, too. I got them for about $9 each.

benthos
2006-03-30, 19:43
My favorite reissue of 2006 so far would have to be Sibylle Baier's "Colour Green", which I first heard a couple weeks ago. I don't actually know whether this is a reissue or a first issue.. but it was recorded between 1970-73. Solo acoustic guitar, female vocals, musically and lyrically very similar to Leonard Cohen's output of that era. It reminds me of "Famous Blue Raincoat", spread out over the length of an album, with distinctively feminine touches. Really a gem of a record, and quite a surprise, too. Not especially "hi fi", but it's all about the content.

cliveb
2006-03-31, 07:48
My life in the Bush of Ghosts -Brian Eno and David Byrne - the remaster is just fantastic,
Fabulous album. But has the remaster managed to reinstate the track "Qu'ran" (which was removed from all versions many years ago)? I fortunately managed to grab an early Sire CD version when I was in the States about 20 years ago, before Qu'ran was removed. As far as I know, it was never on any British EG CD release, just the original vinyl.

FWIW, the remaster I'm most eagerly awaiting this year is Refugee (the band Patrick Moraz was in before he joined Yes). Due out in early May - I hope to be able to finally retire my battered vinyl copy.

Skunk
2006-03-31, 08:44
Fabulous album. But has the remaster managed to reinstate the track "Qu'ran" (which was removed from all versions many years ago)?

Nope, still too sacreligous. The great thing about having music in folders is you can just add it from your old disc.

I read a review of the album a couple days ago at pitchfork [1]. I guess they're gonna have a Web site where you can download a multi-track version of some songs, and under a creative commons license use them at will in your own project. Trent Reznor has done something similar for a couple songs on With Teeth, not sure about the license for use there though.

[1] http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/b/byrne_david/my-life-in-the-bush-of-ghosts.shtml

gandt
2006-03-31, 09:07
We live in less tolerant times but the bonus tracks are hardly just filler and the sound is just wonderful

(Didn't know about that refugee album coming out - do you have a web reference - I remember it with fondness though I used to say that about Greenslade's "Bedside Manners"...

cliveb
2006-04-01, 15:36
(Didn't know about that refugee album coming out - do you have a web reference - I remember it with fondness though I used to say that about Greenslade's "Bedside Manners"...
Voiceprint are going to be releasing it - it was on their "Coming Soon" page. But I just tried to go to their website (www.voiceprint.co.uk) and it appears to be down at the moment.