PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox too costly

Skunk
2006-03-29, 21:41
As far as hardware prices go, it's a stone cold bargin. Get two.

On the other hand, It almost cost me the girl I've been dating for three years. After getting one for christmas, the warm glow of it's fluorescent display soon became a replacement for human interaction. We used to email each other all day, but I found myself too fascinated with posts on the SD forums to do that anymore.

In a recent argument I blurted out to her 'I'd be just as happy alone', while thinking in my head 'I'd be happy if it were just me and SB'. Just when SB almost had me convinced to give her the boot, my music collection started to wear thin.

I managed to leave the house tonight to go see her, so hopefully things will work out. I'm sure she'll think twice about giving me the gift of music again.

chrisla
2006-03-29, 21:53
Goodness,

Get thee some help. Frankly, It may be a good idea to give the
squeezebox some timeout. I think for most, my lovely wife and I
included slim/squeezebox brings you closer together as your life is
filled with music. It's something to talk about, and meant to be
uplifting.

Chances are this is only a symptom, and you likely have some much
larger issues to deal with that a friend or therapist could help with.

Good luck...

On 3/29/06, Skunk <Skunk.25gu901143693902 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> As far as hardware prices go, it's a stone cold bargin. Get two.
>
> On the other hand, It almost cost me the girl I've been dating for
> three years. After getting one for christmas, the warm glow of it's
> fluorescent display soon became a replacement for human interaction. We
> used to email each other all day, but I found myself too fascinated with
> posts on the SD forums to do that anymore.
>
> In a recent argument I blurted out to her 'I'd be just as happy alone',
> while thinking in my head 'I'd be happy if it were just me and SB'. Just
> when SB almost had me convinced to give her the boot, my music
> collection started to wear thin.
>
> I managed to leave the house tonight to go see her, so hopefully things
> will work out. I'm sure she'll think twice about giving me the gift of
> music again.
>
>
> --
> Skunk
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Skunk's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2685
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=22564
>
>

Skunk
2006-03-29, 22:27
I think for most, my lovely wife and I
included slim/squeezebox brings you closer together as your life is filled with music. It's something to talk about, and meant to be uplifting.

I believe that would be the case if the three of us (SB included) all lived in the same house :-)

The problem is I use the SB as therapy, too often.

Jon
2006-03-29, 22:34
In a recent argument I blurted out to her 'I'd be just as happy alone', while thinking in my head 'I'd be happy if it were just me and SB'.

To quote an old Queen song,

"Told my girl I just had to forget her,
Rather buy me a new carburettor,
So she made tracks sayin' this is the end now,
Cars don't talk back they're just four wheeled friends now"

I don't think you want to go down that particular road ...

Skunk
2006-03-29, 22:45
I don't think you want to go down that particular road ...

Thanks, you guys are great. Real life cyber friends.

I can beat this addiction, I know it.

snarlydwarf
2006-03-29, 22:56
I can beat this addiction, I know it.

No, don't do that. Abuse is illegal.

Just dump her.

Or am I misreading what the bad addiction is?

seanadams
2006-03-29, 23:00
Haha my gf and I split up for the exact same reason "all you want is to play with the damned box!"

Oh.... wait... this may have been a gross misunderstanding on my part. :)

Skunk
2006-03-29, 23:01
No, don't do that. Abuse is illegal.

Just dump her.

Or am I misreading what the bad addiction is?

No I think you read correctly. So beating her is out.

I will take Chrisla's advice- and get her some help.

bernt
2006-03-29, 23:25
Got the same problem, almost. No problem with my family but with my work.

Hanging around here and on last.fm the half day instead of working and listening to Softsqueeze all day long. I use to have the power save set to two hours on my server so I wont play with it all day but to day I turned the power save off.

So far I leave my SB home but....

Fifer
2006-03-30, 00:12
Haha my gf and I split up for the exact same reason "all you want is to play with the damned box!"

Oh.... wait... this may have been a gross misunderstanding on my part. :)
... but not on hers. ;)

Siduhe
2006-03-30, 09:36
Whilst sincerely hoping that this thread is TFIC [Tongue firmly in Cheek], have you been following the rash of "technology ruined my relationship" stories starting with Firefox (summarised by the Register here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/30/ethereal_relationship_break-up/)) ?

jonheal
2006-03-30, 09:44
Has anyone else been seeing weird messages scrolling across their SB displays? Mine's been scrolling "Get rid of her ... NOW!" And then the second she walks in the room, it switches to showing the Date and Time. It's really weird...

snarlydwarf
2006-03-30, 09:48
Has anyone else been seeing weird messages scrolling across their SB displays?

Hrrm, sounds like you need a faster connection. Those messages are supposed to be displayed for only a 1/60th of a second.

Siduhe
2006-03-30, 09:51
Although, as one of the few [?] girls that seems to hang out here, I do find some of the "pat her on the head, it's technology" type posts that (occasionally) come up here as fundamentally depressing.

[Not referring to Skunk's post here - but the "Kia for the wife" post a couple below is a good example].

Hardly a card-carrying feminist, but IMHO people are either into technology or not, geeky or not, prone to pulling stuff apart or not. It's just that us girls know better than to impugn our husbands' prowess with a screwdriver on a public message board...[TIFC for the avoidance of all doubt]

jonheal
2006-03-30, 09:52
In all seriousness, and this is no lie, technology hates my wife. I had been using the Squeezebox happily and trouble-free for about two months. The very first time my wife works up the nerve, or patience, or whatever to play it -- the firmware get hosed!

Fifer
2006-03-30, 10:48
It's just that us girls know better than to impugn our husbands' prowess with a screwdriver on a public message board.
Yes, it's always much more subtle to just imply things ... ;)

Skunk
2006-03-30, 10:49
Hardly a card-carrying feminist, but IMHO people are either into technology or not, geeky or not, prone to pulling stuff apart or not. It's just that us girls know better than to impugn our husbands' prowess with a screwdriver on a public message board...[TIFC for the avoidance of all doubt]

I'll agree with that for the most part. Although I think if such a message board [screwdriver follies] existed, women would be all over it. For example, reference the success of the sitcom 'Home Improvement'. It's funny to lampoon those addicted to the screwdriver. Notice however, the show never once lampooned the wifes inability to fix anything mechanical. Her job was to fix the family. I would have preferred equal opportunity lampooning.

Sexist? Hardly. They taught us in psych 101 that males are better at math and logic, while females excel in language and nurturing. Who's to say which is more important? My favorite quote on Jon Heal's Web site is 'Jack of both sides of the brain, master of none' (You're brilliant if you came up w/ that yourself Jon!). It's important to balance the yang with a little yin for males, and should be so for females as well.

I wish more girls were into jacking around in the other side of the brain. Supposedly thier hearing ability is superior to males, and I bet they could come up with some great sounding hi fi kit.

jimdibb
2006-03-30, 10:53
The link as formatted seems to have an extra ) in it (at least in the gmail
email client).

On 3/30/06, Siduhe <Siduhe.25hrcn1143736801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Whilst sincerely hoping that this thread is TFIC [Tongue firmly in
> Cheek], have you been following the rash of "technology ruined my
> relationship" stories starting with Firefox (summarised by the Register
> 'here'
> (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/30/ethereal_relationship_break-up/))
> ?
>
>

snarlydwarf
2006-03-30, 10:56
For example, reference the success of the sitcom 'Home Improvement'. It's funny to lampoon those addicted to the screwdriver. Notice however, the show never once lampooned the wifes inability to fix anything mechanical. Her job was to fix the family. I would have preferred equal opportunity lampooning.

Actually, she did better with tools than her husband ever did....

But then we're going to cross into my view of why Sitcoms are Better Than Reality: in a sitcom, everyone's quirks make them lovable and interesting. It would be a boring show if Tim Taylor could actually fix anything.

TV sitcoms often seem sexist to me: the flaws in the males are often more pronounced than the flaws in women who are almost always the bastion of sanity amongst the lunatic men.

In reality, we're all nuts.

Skunk
2006-03-30, 11:05
The link as formatted seems to have an extra ) in it

Be a man and delete the extra )

Skunk
2006-03-30, 11:07
Actually, she did better with tools than her husband ever did....

Chalk that up to selective hearing. Males worst trait.

jimdibb
2006-03-30, 11:22
On 3/30/06, Skunk <Skunk.25hvin1143742201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> jimdibb Wrote:
> > The link as formatted seems to have an extra ) in it
>
> Be a man and delete the extra )

I can't. I replaced the delete key on my keyboard with one that enters
"Shut the F*** up"

Skunk
2006-03-30, 11:41
I can't. I replaced the delete key on my keyboard with one that enters
"Shut the F*** up"

This aggression will not stand, man. [the Dude]

jimdibb
2006-03-30, 11:47
:)

On 3/30/06, Skunk <Skunk.25hx4z1143744301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> jimdibb Wrote:
> >
> > I can't. I replaced the delete key on my keyboard with one that
> > enters
> > "Shut the F*** up"
>
> This aggression will not stand, man. [the Dude]
>
>
> --
> Skunk
>

Skunk
2006-03-30, 11:59
:)

Glad you caught it ;-)

[if anyone didn't see fifth pic down: http://www.lebowskifest.com/achievers_page.asp ]

ezkcdude
2006-03-30, 12:01
Nice thread, Skunk! So, when are we going to see a 12-step program for this problem, you know, SqueezeBox Owners Anonymous (SBOA)?

Skunk
2006-03-30, 12:06
So, when are we going to see a 12-step program for this problem, you know, SqueezeBox Owners Anonymous (SBOA)?

Step One: 'have the power save set to two hours on server so I[t] wont play all day'. Thanks bernt.

ezkcdude
2006-03-30, 12:07
Step One: 'have the power save set to two hours on server so I[t] wont play all day'. Thanks bernt.

I thought Step One is admit you have a problem. "Hi, my name is Skunk, and damn, I just can't quit you SqueezeBox!"

Siduhe
2006-03-30, 12:29
The link as formatted seems to have an extra ) in it (at least in the gmail
email client).

See ! Women and technology don't mix...;-)

Or perhaps the gmail client not being able to format the linked URL..

Skunk
2006-03-30, 12:32
I thought Step One is admit you have a problem. "Hi, my name is Skunk, and damn, I just can't quit you SqueezeBox!"

Good observation (not from experience I hope)

Step 1: Admit your guilt.
Step 2: Put a timer on the Slimserver.
Step 3: Keep post count under 3/day. (I'm hovering around 5).
Step 4: Never take SB with you (thanks again bernt).

)p(
2006-03-30, 13:53
Although, as one of the few [?] girls that seems to hang out here, I do find some of the "pat her on the head, it's technology" type posts that (occasionally) come up here as fundamentally depressing.

[Not referring to Skunk's post here - but the "Kia for the wife" post a couple below is a good example].

When we first got the sb. My girlfriend looked a few seconds how I used the remote...then took it from me...navigated directly to her favorite artist...and before I knew it Nick Cave was blasting through the speakers ;) (She is an architect...maybe that explains it a bit :) )

peter