PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling Slimserver on a Mac

Cubed
2006-03-29, 04:21
Please could someone let me know the easiest way to completely uninstall Slimserver on my G5 PPC iMac running 10.3.9.

I'm not very happy with my Squeezebox having spent far longer faffing with it than listning to music. After getting it set up with my wireless router/modem (a netgear DG834GT) after fiddling around for ages with different channel settings, turning this and that off, unenabling this and that, upgrading firmware on both router and Squeezebox (finally settled on 6.2.2) everything seemed fine for about three weeks when for no reason the music started spluttering and stuttering. NOTHING HAD BEEN CHANGED and it wasn't choosy, AACs MP3s Lossless? All were stuttering. So after checking throughput with the diagnostic plugin (100% at 1000mps, 95% at 2000mps) and the wireless strength (85-90%) I still had a constant low buffer which eventually would halt the music completely.

Tried to upgrade to the latest beta but that simply didn't work at all and then tried to downgrade to 6.2.1 and everthing is now completely messed up - Server will not even start or if it does only for 10 seconds before stopping again. It did however say install was succesful....

Sooooooo.....I need to completely uninstall Slimserver and attempt to install 6.2.1

This is slims last chance as my time is precious enough. If this doesn't work I will be expecting my money back as the device is clearly unstable and does not work as advertised. Don't get me wrong, when its working it fantastic and I dearly would like to keep it but it just seems far too much hard work. A little tweaking I can cope with but continual complete failiure is a bit too much to have to deal with!

Robin Bowes
2006-03-29, 04:52
Cubed wrote:
> ... everything seemed fine for about three weeks when for no reason
> the music started spluttering and stuttering. NOTHING HAD BEEN
> CHANGED ...

That is a false assertion - computers don't just change behaviour "for
no reason". They are nothing if not logical. *Something* changed, but
you are not aware what.

Think back - did you install anything or change anything on your Mac
immediately before you started seeing these symptoms?

R.

Siduhe
2006-03-29, 05:22
Tried to upgrade to the latest beta but that simply didn't work at all and then tried to downgrade to 6.2.1 and everthing is now completely messed up - Server will not even start or if it does only for 10 seconds before stopping again. It did however say install was succesful....

Sorry to hear you've been having problems. When you say "latest beta" do you mean 6.5 ? If so, the database system has changed radically between 6.2.x and 6.5, which may be why you can't a) get it to work or b) downgrade again. The advice is to delete your database file before upgrading to 6.5 and again if you want to downgrade.

Try deleting your slimserversql.db file (not sure where this is on a MAC). Then start up or reinstall 6.2.1. It may work without the need to reinstall.

HTH

Cubed
2006-03-29, 06:33
You'd think wouldn't you, and so did I till I started using Slimserver!

Anyway, I have not loaded any new software and this issue (the stuttering not the reinstalling slimserver) has been ongoing - i.e SB worked perfectly after being set up for a day or two, then started stuttering, then after a fiddle worked again for a week etc etc. The only thing changed was various installs of slim and songs being added to my iTunes library from ripped CD's

I'm not sure how to delete the database - I could probably work it out but if anyone wants to let me know how to do it on a Mac and save me the hassle of figuring it out myself, then my wife would probably be very grateful....

Siduhe
2006-03-29, 06:42
Just do a file search for "slimserversql.db" and delete. No special deletion procedure required. It will be somewhere in your slimserver install folder and will also be a large file.

Cubed
2006-03-30, 02:22
Well, I deleted the Db but that made no difference - slim would not reinstall properly, so I went through all my files and deleted everything to do with the slim software then cleaned up the permissions and rebooted (mac and router) before reinstalling 6.2.2 and firmware 36.

It worked......but for how long?

I'm afraid I may be losing the faith.

Cubed
2006-04-11, 08:06
Ok. I'm really sick of this.

I could accept the situation if it had never worked but this is even more frustrating.

I have a wireless signal strength of over 80%
I have a network test plugin 100% average score right up to 3000
I am using MP3's encoded by Lame and AAC's encoded by iTunes (not DRM)

Any ideas before ebay gets a new listing?

JXR1001000
2006-04-13, 21:58
I had the same problem - it turns out 6.5 makes changes to the database that stores information about your music library, and 6.2 doesn't delete this database when you reinstall - you have to do it yourself. The database is in /Library/Caches/SlimServer/slimserversql.db.

The following worked for me - I opened terminal and ran these commands before a successful 6.2 reinstall:

sudo rm -rf /Library/Caches/SlimServer ~/Library/Caches/SlimServer
(enter your admin password when prompted)
sudo rm -rf /Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane ~/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane

You'll have to reindex your music after the reinstall, as this removes the index.

FYI, I'm also having problems with songs stopping (not stuttering, but stopping) on my Mac. I sent an email to support with a description.

Cubed
2006-04-18, 02:20
Hi JXR

Have you managed to get your SB3 working with your Mac without stopping or stuttering?

What version of OSX are you using?

danco
2006-04-18, 04:25
The following worked for me - I opened terminal and ran these commands before a successful 6.2 reinstall:

sudo rm -rf /Library/Caches/SlimServer ~/Library/Caches/SlimServer
sudo rm -rf /Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane ~/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane

Sounds as if you were a Linux user previously. All that was necessary was to trash those files using the GUI.

And, of course, if the original installation of SlimServer was for one user only then there would not be those items in /Library, just the ones in ~/Library.

cepheid
2006-04-19, 00:57
Have you managed to get your SB3 working with your Mac without stopping or stuttering?

What version of OSX are you using?
You didn't direct the question to me but I figured I'd jump in and answer anyway. =)

I use a Mac with my SB3, and it's worked flawlessly from the very beginning. Note that I never tried using the beta 6.5 software, so I haven't had to downgrade firmware.

The SB3 is connected wirelessly to an 802.11g network with WPA enabled (the router is a D-Link DI-624 for anyone who cares). The SlimServer is running on a 6-year-old dual-500 MHz G4 tower (the "Gigabit Ethernet" model) running OS X 10.3.9, SlimServer 6.2.2 (connected via ethernet, not wireless).

Note that the SB3's wireless signal strength is usually 20-40%, i.e. it's not very strong, but I *never* get dropouts, stutters, or similar problems. The computer running the SlimServer is also quite old and not very fast, but it transcodes my Apple Lossless files on-the-fly without any problems. So, even with my less-than-ideal setup, everything works perfectly.

You should make sure that the computer running the SlimServer has sufficient RAM so that SlimServer doesn't have to use virtual memory (a.k.a. "swap"), because that will certainly affect performance. You also shouldn't be running programs that tax the CPU heavily (e.g. Photoshop, Mathematica, etc.) because that won't leave much processing time for the SlimServer.