PDA

View Full Version : In the future... DVD question

Seineseeker
2006-03-29, 03:49
Will we be able to do the same sort of thing with all our DVDs? i;e; have them stored on a hard drive and wifi them to our TV via a supersqueezebox?

funkstar
2006-03-29, 04:02
Slimdevices never comment on future products. They have also never made any comment whether they want to move away from being audio only.

:)

ceejay
2006-03-29, 04:48
Will we be able to do the same sort of thing with all our DVDs? i;e; have them stored on a hard drive and wifi them to our TV via a supersqueezebox?

First problem is that DRM is well and truly in place for commercial DVDs, to rip them to disc you would have to use lock-breaking software (which is of course available!).

Although Microsoft etc would very much like to be able to do this, so I guess the blu-ray / HD-DVD arguments are relevant here, but the end game should be that there is licensed decoding software which will deliver the content via your multimedia PC.

As an aside, a bargain-cheapo Dell I just bought came with XP Media Center Edition loaded, which I take to mean that Microsoft are so keen to get this out into the market that they are incentivising the manufacturers with discounts and other kickbacks.

Second is disc space: my modest collection of about 200 DVDs would need 1.5TB without further compression, I think we need storage prices to come down a little more. Perhaps in a year or two?

Dell and HP, among others, would of course have us buy the playing and storage devices from them. And if you're only going to be playing the DVDs on your one big TV, maybe its not such a problem to use a dedicated PC-type device for this purpose (unlike Audio where, IMHO, the need to have it many places throughout the house makes the Slim model much more appropriate)

Ceejay