PDA

View Full Version : MP3Gain Problem

ceepan
2006-03-28, 04:12
I have run album analysis on all of my MP3's. i just used the default of 89db. Most work fine. However some sound all distorted when my SB3 plays them back. I had a look at the track information in SlimServer and saw that the track gain was something like 65834dB. What has gone wrong?

Thanks,
Paul

ceepan
2006-03-29, 03:00
Has nobody seen this before?

slimpy
2006-03-29, 03:41
Are the affected tracks regular songs? I'm asking because I had a similar problem with tracks that contain a long period of silence e.g. cds with bonus tracks where the bonus track is at the end of the last regular track usually seperated by a couple of minutes of silence. The silence part will make mp3gain believe that this is a very silent track, resulting in a very large gain adjustment.
What are your settings for gain adjustment in your player settings (use track gain - use album gain - auto gain)?

-s.

ceepan
2006-03-29, 09:03
The problem is showing up on a whole album - Franz Ferdinand (You Coukd Have It So Much Better). I did Album Analysis in MP3 Gain Version 1.2.5. Target "Normal" Volume set to 89dB

Track 1 shows:

Volume: 100.8
Clipping: Y
Track Gain: -12
Album Volum: 99.9
Album Gain: -10.5

When I look at the track info in Slimserver I see:
Volume Adjustment: 65535.00dB
Album Volume Adjustment: -10.86dB

Player is set to use "Smart Gain" selection

Hope somebody can help.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-29, 09:39
Have you tried rescanning? SlimServer obviously got the tag wrong and placed the gain as high as it could achieve. Recanning may pick it up and correct it.

OT: I see the 65 535 number a lot when computers screw up. For example, my very old printer driver always thinks print jobs are 65 535 pages long (thankfully it doesn't actually use that many pages!) This is also the maximum number of rows in Excel. I'm thinking it's the maximum number that can be calculated at a certain bit depth?

Jacob Potter
2006-03-29, 09:45
On 3/29/06, Mark Lanctot
<Mark.Lanctot.25fwon1143650401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> OT: I see the 65 535 number a lot when computers screw up. For
> example, my very old printer driver always thinks print jobs are 65 535
> pages long (thankfully it doesn't actually use that many pages!) This is
> also the maximum number of rows in Excel. I'm thinking it's the maximum
> number that can be calculated at a certain bit depth?

Yep.
8 bits: 0-255, or -128-127
16 bits: 0-65535, or -32768-32767
32 bits: 0 to approx. 4 billion, or -2 billion to 2 billion
64 bits: a whole bunch :)

- Jacob

snarlydwarf
2006-03-29, 09:47
I'm thinking it's the maximum number that can be calculated at a certain bit depth?

Exactly. 16 bit unsigned is 65535.

ceepan
2006-03-29, 23:38
That seems to make sense. However I have tried Recscanning looking for new and updated music, and Clearing the library and rescanning, but the files still have the 65535db gain setting. Will deleting the library file, then resacnning help the issue?

Is this a known issue with Slimserver? Surely if it has problems with the gain it should set it to 0dB rather than 65535db. Playing these can't be good for the speakers can it?

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-30, 06:40
Is this a known issue with Slimserver?

No, this is the first time it's ever been mentioned.

Surely if it has problems with the gain it should set it to 0dB rather than 65535db. Playing these can't be good for the speakers can it?

Well it cannot literally achieve 65535 dB, obviously. So all it's doing is completely clipping the signal. Yes, if you were to play it loud enough it would damage your speakers, but at lower volumes it'll just sound bad.

This may not be much help, but you may want to take a look at the files in a hex editor. I'm not sure where ReplayGain data is kept - it would either be at the front or end of the file. But it sounds like it's been mistagged somehow. I'm not sure how you can correct it though.

radish
2006-03-30, 08:15
No, this is the first time it's ever been mentioned.

Actually, I've seen a couple of posts recently from people mentioning bad distortion until they switched off ReplayGain. May be entirely unrelated, may be a tag parsing/processing bug surfacing.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-30, 08:17
Actually, I've seen a couple of posts recently from people mentioning bad distortion until they switched off ReplayGain. May be entirely unrelated, may be a tag parsing/processing bug surfacing.

What I meant was I never heard anyone mentioning SlimServer gain reporting 65535 dB.

Although those other posts merely mention distortion. They don't list what gain was reported, so you could be on to something.

ceepan
2006-03-30, 11:35
Should this be raised as a bug? If so what do I need to do to raise a bug? Can I do anything that will log the issue?

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-30, 11:55
Go to http://bugs.slimdevices.com/. Create an account.

Create a new bug for SlimServer. Make sure you upload the affected file.

Ben Sandee
2006-03-30, 12:00
On 3/30/06, ceepan <ceepan.25hwwn1143744001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Should this be raised as a bug? If so what do I need to do to raise a
> bug? Can I do anything that will log the issue?

Please do raise it as a bug -- add one of your files in question as an
attachment to a new bug. I believe the attachment max size for the slim
bugzilla is 10mb so you should be OK unless your mp3 is too big.

Ben

ezkcdude
2006-03-30, 12:06
I started a thread the other day about my ReplayGain problems. I decided MP3Gain is not the right way to go, because it changes more than just the tag. The proper way (IMHO) is to use Foobar2000 to set the ReplayGain tags (as suggested in the Wiki).

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-30, 12:13
I started a thread the other day about my ReplayGain problems. I decided MP3Gain is not the right way to go, because it changes more than just the tag. The proper way (IMHO) is to use Foobar2000 to set the ReplayGain tags (as suggested in the Wiki).

Actually if you use just the Analysis option, nothing is changed. ceepan's problem is unrelated - it's some sort of error in the way SlimServer read the tag.

From what I've heard, SlimServer won't read foobar2000 RG tags?

Richie
2006-03-30, 12:21
> >From what I've heard, SlimServer won't read foobar2000 RG tags?

I can't comment on other versions but 6.5b1 certainly can now. All my
RG tags were set with foobar on mostly flacs with a few mp3s thown in.

Richard

ezkcdude
2006-03-30, 12:26
Actually if you use just the Analysis option, nothing is changed. ceepan's problem is unrelated - it's some sort of error in the way SlimServer read the tag.

From what I've heard, SlimServer won't read foobar2000 RG tags?

It seems to work fine for me.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-30, 12:27
It seems to work fine for me.

I'm wondering if it's the new foobar 0.9. It definitely didn't work in 0.8.3.

fuzzyT
2006-03-30, 13:10
Mark Lanctot wrote:

> I'm wondering if it's the new foobar 0.9. It definitely didn't work in
> 0.8.3.

Hmmm. I've tagged my whole library for RG with Foobar both FLAC and
MP3. I'm using 0.9 now, but most of that was done with 0.8.3. AFAICT,
the SlimServer has always picked up on the tags just fine.

--rt

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-30, 13:18
Mark Lanctot wrote:

> I'm wondering if it's the new foobar 0.9. It definitely didn't work in
> 0.8.3.

Hmmm. I've tagged my whole library for RG with Foobar both FLAC and
MP3. I'm using 0.9 now, but most of that was done with 0.8.3. AFAICT,
the SlimServer has always picked up on the tags just fine.

--rt

Just me I guess. As much as I like foobar, foobar doesn't like me. I can never get half its features to work.

ceepan
2006-03-31, 00:03
I will raise the bug later today (I am not at home just now). Would I be better tagging my library with Replay Gain tags using foobar? I just want to have a constant level of volume while playing playlists, I didn't think that I was going to have all of these problems.

ceepan
2006-03-31, 04:26
I have created an account to add a bug report. However, it says that before I do that I should try the latest version of Slimserver. I currently have 6.2.1 installed. If I put a later version on to see if the problem still exists, should I go for 6.2.2 nightly, or 6.5.1?

Will I see any major differences in behaviour. Will my settings be preserved? If not can I back them up and reapply them after the new installation? Should I uninstall 6.2.1 first, or install over the top of it?

mherger
2006-03-31, 04:45
> Will I see any major differences in behaviour. Will my settings be
> preserved?

6.2.2 is the bug fixed version of 6.2.1. Don't try 6.5 if you don't want
to test the latest, bleeding edge version.

> If not can I back them up and reapply them after the new
> installation? Should I uninstall 6.2.1 first, or install over the top
> of it?

Just install 6.2.2 on top of 6.2.1.

Backup is always a good idea. The file you'd need is
slimserver.conf/slimserver.pref.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Pale Blue Ego
2006-03-31, 06:12
Be careful when tagging mp3s with foobar. I believe the latest (beta) version has fixed this problem, but the "official" 0.8.3 release will delete your ID3 v2 tags when you apply ReplayGain to mp3 files.

Please test it on a small part of your collection before committing.

ceepan
2006-03-31, 08:23
I have just installed Slimserver 6.2.2 from last night and the problem is no longer present. The Volume adjustment is as it should be.

fuzzyT
2006-03-31, 12:53
ron thigpen wrote:
> Mark Lanctot wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if it's the new foobar 0.9. It definitely didn't work in
>> 0.8.3.
>
> Hmmm. I've tagged my whole library for RG with Foobar both FLAC and
> MP3. I'm using 0.9 now, but most of that was done with 0.8.3. AFAICT,
> the SlimServer has always picked up on the tags just fine.

I may need to revise this statement. I did some quick spot checking.
It looks as though a pattern may exist. I'll dig a bit more to confirm
before posting a bug report, but here's what it's starting to look like:

Using Foobar2000 v0.8.3:

RG tags applied by FB to FLAC files seem to be picked up.
RG tags applied by FB to MP3+ID3v2.3.0 files seem to be picked up.
RG tags applied by FB to MP3+ID3v2.4.0 files seem NOT to be picked up.

I'll check further over the weekend. In the meantime, maybe some of you
would like to check this out. Could help zero in on a pesky bug.

--rt

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-31, 12:59
I may need to revise this statement. I did some quick spot checking.
It looks as though a pattern may exist. I'll dig a bit more to confirm
before posting a bug report, but here's what it's starting to look like:

Using Foobar2000 v0.8.3:

RG tags applied by FB to FLAC files seem to be picked up.
RG tags applied by FB to MP3+ID3v2.3.0 files seem to be picked up.
RG tags applied by FB to MP3+ID3v2.4.0 files seem NOT to be picked up.

I'll check further over the weekend. In the meantime, maybe some of you
would like to check this out. Could help zero in on a pesky bug.

--rt

Don't think it really matters - 0.9 is the new version. 0.8.3 isn't available for download, not through the regular website anyway.

fuzzyT
2006-03-31, 13:05
Mark Lanctot wrote:
> Don't think it really matters anyway - 0.9 is the new version. 0.8.3
> isn't available for download, not through the regular website anyway.

Yeah, I've been running v0.9 for about a week now.

And it looks like some of the MP3+ID3v2.4.0 files that I'd tagged since
upgrading FB aren't showing their RG tags is SS.

I'm only able to check the web interface right now, but if this proves
to be true then it points to an issue in the SS scan and/or store pieces.

--rt

ceepan
2006-04-12, 23:39
I installed the nightly from 05/04/06 to resolve the issue with disappearing playlists which worked well. However while listening to one of these I noticed that one track sounded quieter than the rest. I know that volume is pretty low on that, but I thought that the Smart Gain should have sorted it out. However when I looked at the track properties in SlimServer I noticed that the volume tags added by MP3Gain weren't displayed.

I then checked some others (the ones that prompted me to start this thread) and they didn't appear to have them either. O had been going to install the latest nightly, but when I looked last night there didn't seem to be a Windows executable. I notice from other threads that there have been problems with this.

Does anybody know when a Windows executable will be available, and will it resolve my issue with SlimServer not picking up the tags for track and album volume adjustment?

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-13, 06:19
I installed the nightly from 05/04/06 to resolve the issue with disappearing playlists which worked well. However while listening to one of these I noticed that one track sounded quieter than the rest. I know that volume is pretty low on that, but I thought that the Smart Gain should have sorted it out. However when I looked at the track properties in SlimServer I noticed that the volume tags added by MP3Gain weren't displayed.

I then checked some others (the ones that prompted me to start this thread) and they didn't appear to have them either. O had been going to install the latest nightly, but when I looked last night there didn't seem to be a Windows executable. I notice from other threads that there have been problems with this.

Does anybody know when a Windows executable will be available, and will it resolve my issue with SlimServer not picking up the tags for track and album volume adjustment?

Yes, there was a problem reading APEv2 tags which Dan repaired in short order:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=22819

Any nightly since my last post should resolve this.

poyntzj
2006-04-14, 06:08
I have the same album and run all my tracks through MP3Gain too - I do it on a track basis NOT album basis.
I encode using Winamp and a VBR setting
I would undo the MP3Gain on the track, check that the server sees it OK and then try running the Gain over it again.
these are the details for track 1 on my unit. MP3Gain is at the default level too.

Title: The Fallen
Artist: Franz Ferdinand
Band/Orchestra: Franz Ferdinand
Album: You Could Have It So Much Better
Genre: Post-Punk
Track: 1
File Format: MP3
Duration: 3:42
Volume Adjustment: 0.68 dB
Year: 2005
Comment: Ripped by Winamp
File Length: 4,001,998 Bytes
Bitrate: 143kbps VBR
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
ID3 Tag Version: ID3v1.1 / ID3v2.3.0
Location: \\terastation\mp3s\f\Franz Ferdinand\You Could Have It So Much Better\01 - The Fallen.mp3 (Download)

ceepan
2006-04-14, 06:55
I installed the 6.2.2 nightly dated 13-04-06 and the problems seem to have disappeared. Thanks for the info though.