PDA

View Full Version : rescan or tagging problem, not sure which

mpete631702
2006-03-26, 16:33
Hi folks --

Hoping someone can help me with a problem that's driving me up the wall! >:-0

In essence, I have two new albums in my library that I can see through Browse Album in the SB, but not through Browse Artist. Also, I can see the two problem albums through Browse Album in the web interface, just not that way through the SB itself.

I have another album by the same artist which does show up through Browse Album in the SB, and I've checked the ID3 tags for songs from albums that do and don't show up, and they all seem OK as far as I can tell. The fields are not identical, but there is an album and an artist field in both sets of tags.

I've rescanned the whole music library, rebooted my computer, deleted the database file and restarted slimserver. I've installed the latest nightly release of slimserver too. (Oh, and I'm on Win XP sp2.)

Any ideas?? This is driving me bats, particularly because I don't know how many other albums may be affected!

Thanks a lot for any help. :-)

Best,

Mary P.

cjhabs
2006-03-26, 17:38
What format did you rip the albums to? The tags that are read to determine the Artist may differ depending upon the file format.

I had a problem that I unfortunately didn;' document for myself, but I believe that if both the "Artist" and "Album Artist" tags were defined it used the "Album Artist".

Also, having MP3 ID tags in flacs as well as Ogg Vorbis comments may cause unexpected results.

Not sure of details here - just giving a couple of things to check.

Habs

mpete631702
2006-03-26, 18:01
Ah, good question -- forgot to include the format info. The songs are mp3s. I looked more closely at the ID3 tags, and here are some details. I see some differences, but not anything that would obviously cause this problem!

Album that IS recognized in Browse by Album:

Album
Artist
Genre
Songlen
Title
Track
Year

Album that is NOT recognized in Browse by Album:

Album
Artist
Encodersettings
Title
Track
Year

Again, thanks for any help!

- Mary P.

What format did you rip the albums to? The tags that are read to determine the Artist may differ depending upon the file format.

I had a problem that I unfortunately didn;' document for myself, but I believe that if both the "Artist" and "Album Artist" tags were defined it used the "Album Artist".

Also, having MP3 ID tags in flacs as well as Ogg Vorbis comments may cause unexpected results.

Not sure of details here - just giving a couple of things to check.

Habs

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-26, 19:27
I find SlimServer really likes consistency. That also helps you when your collection grows into the thousands of tracks.

You should standardize on one set of fields and stick with it. Mp3tag makes this really easy as you can apply changes to an unlimited number of files at once.

Are the Artist fields really the same? Really? No trailing spaces or misspellings? The artist name isn't cut off? This can happen at more than 30 characters with ID3v1 so it's best to go with ID3v2.

I'd go over the affected albums with a fine-toothed comb using dedicated tag editor like Mp3tag. Believe me, weird problems can and will creep in from time to time, and you can only see and correct them with a program that can compare and sort things en masse.

mpete631702
2006-03-27, 05:53
Thanks for the reply, Mark! I do have Mp3tag, so I'll have a closer look at the tags (which are ID3v2, btw). I'm pretty sure the artist name is fine -- at least it *looks* just the same as the tag in the other files, the ones that do show up.

Will Mp3tag do something like: make all the tags in all my other songs like the tags in this song? I don't really know how to use the program, but I hope something like that works. I suspect about 50 discs that I've ripped recently are affected.

Frankly it's shocking that SlimServer is so sensitive to the tag issue, if that's what's going on.

One last thing: is there an explanation for why I can see the problem albums through Browse Artist in the web interface but not through Browse Artist in the player? Do those functions not do the same thing?

Thanks again,

Mary P.

I find SlimServer really likes consistency. That also helps you when your collection grows into the thousands of tracks.

You should standardize on one set of fields and stick with it. Mp3tag makes this really easy as you can apply changes to an unlimited number of files at once.

Are the Artist fields really the same? Really? No trailing spaces or misspellings? The artist name isn't cut off? This can happen at more than 30 characters with ID3v1 so it's best to go with ID3v2.

I'd go over the affected albums with a fine-toothed comb using dedicated tag editor like Mp3tag. Believe me, weird problems can and will creep in from time to time, and you can only see and correct them with a program that can compare and sort things en masse.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-27, 06:51
Thanks for the reply, Mark! I do have Mp3tag, so I'll have a closer look at the tags (which are ID3v2, btw). I'm pretty sure the artist name is fine -- at least it *looks* just the same as the tag in the other files, the ones that do show up.

Will Mp3tag do something like: make all the tags in all my other songs like the tags in this song? I don't really know how to use the program, but I hope something like that works. I suspect about 50 discs that I've ripped recently are affected.

Yes, that's a function I use quite frequently! Sort all the files by clicking on one of the column headers - if the fields are similar they should at least end up together. Click on the first one you want to change and shift+click on the last one you want to change. That selects a group.

Then from the left-hand pane select the drop-down for the artist field, which is set to <blank>, <keep> or the text contained in the group. If you see more than one piece of text here, you know the text is not the same for all of them. But by selecting the one you want and saving the tag, they will all be made perfectly identical.

Frankly it's shocking that SlimServer is so sensitive to the tag issue, if that's what's going on.

"Computers are so danged literal". :-) All it has to go on are the tags. So "Nirvana " (note space) is not the same as "Nirvana" (no space) which is not the same as "nirvana" (no capitalization) which is not the same as "Nervana" (misspelling). All 4 variants may be missed by the average person, but SlimServer will pick it up and classify them separately.

One last thing: is there an explanation for why I can see the problem albums through Browse Artist in the web interface but not through Browse Artist in the player? Do those functions not do the same thing?

Hmm, you got me there. Not only do they do the same thing, they use the same data source.

I assume you've tried rescanning using the "Clear library and rescan everything" option? I find the "Look for new and changed music" rarely works for me and I end up with a database in a somewhat confused state. I see you've deleted the database file, but even after I build a database from scratch I have to rescan again just to get everything.

mpete631702
2006-03-29, 12:07
Hi again Mark --

Just wanted to follow up and say that I finally got the troublesome albums to appear by using the "Clear library and rescan everything" option as you suggested. (I'd done that before, as you noticed, but didn't realize I should do it *again* after deleting the database file.)

And thanks for the tips on using MP3tag! That's a great little program.

Thanks again for all your help.

Best,

Mary P.