PDA

View Full Version : Hebrew will not display

yaronf
2006-03-26, 15:47
Hi, I ripped an album using WMP. Song titles display nicely in Hebrew as file names, and also in the Sqeezebox pane on the Web display. But I get gibberish (question marks) on the device. Advice anybody?

Thanks!

Triode
2006-03-26, 16:05
Hebrew on the player display (including reversed text) is just being added to the 6.5 branch which is the experimental beta version. It is not all there at present - but if you are willing to try an early version you could try a 6.5 nightly in a few days time. [unless you know how to install perl modules]

If you would rather wait, this will be coming to 6.5 when it is released.

Jon
2006-03-26, 20:44
I am so glad someone asked this question ... I too have an album with hebrew fonts that display nicely in the web interface but not on the Squeezebox.

trixpan
2006-03-27, 10:34
how do you managed to have it displayed on the server?

Jon
2006-03-27, 11:00
how do you managed to have it displayed on the server?

Dunno, exactly ... it just sort of worked. I did not do anything special to SlimServer to get it to display the Hebrew characters.

I ripped the CD using Windows Media Player, and WMP picked up and displays the artist name (Achinoam Nini) in Hebrew but all the song titles in English. The SlimServer web interface displays her name in Hebrew, and in fact a browse by artists lists her in both English and Hebrew (I suspect because the Artist is set on one language and the Album Artist in another, though I have not confirmed that).

trixpan
2006-03-28, 06:37
hmmmm.

maybe I'll try that. I had no success with EAC ripping a metropoling album to flac... :-(

tks

yaronf
2006-04-19, 15:52
Hebrew on the player display (including reversed text) is just being added to the 6.5 branch which is the experimental beta version. It is not all there at present - but if you are willing to try an early version you could try a 6.5 nightly in a few days time. [unless you know how to install perl modules]

If you would rather wait, this will be coming to 6.5 when it is released.

Hi Triode,

I waited more than a few days and downloaded today's nightly. I can see Hebrew, but:

- The text is reversed (left-to-right).
- The font is very ugly. I'll be happy to try to locate a more appropriate one.
- The date-and-time screensaver displays question marks for the date, which means that it automatically detected the locale but still cannot cope with the Hebrew text for e.g. the month.

Triode
2006-04-19, 15:59
You need the perl module Locale::Hebrew installed for the text to be reversed correctly. I said a few days as I was hoping this would get included in the nightlies in a few days from when I wrote the last post - but it hasn't yet.

If you are on linux you can install Locale::Hebrew relatively easily, but for windows you need to wait for it to be included I'm afraid.

The fonts are defined by the TTF that you use. You are free to replace this with an alternative - see the wiki for "Unicode fonts".

Not sure about the date bit - which font are you using for clock display?

Triode
2006-04-20, 02:12
Try tonights 6.5 as Locale::Hebrew has just been added to the server distribution. This should reverse the text for you.

yaronf
2006-04-22, 15:13
Thanks Triode, the new nightly works for me, plus I am using the Cyberbit font which looks nice.
No change about the date/time screensaver though. And I don't see anywhere where I can set the font. In fact the last few lines of Plugins/DateTime/Plugin.pm seem to indicate that it is using the small.1 and standard.1 fonts. But I'm not sure.

trixpan
2006-07-09, 19:14
For those using cuesheets. Make sure you save the cuesheet as UTF8.