PDA

View Full Version : How to organize my music folder

emm
2006-03-25, 13:05
Currently I'm creating FLAC files and storing them in a single folder called "SB3 Music". I create WAV files using EAC, then compressed FLACs. I move the FLACs to my SB3 Music file and store the WAVs on an external disk. This means that my SB3 Music folder is a huge folder with no subfolders, just a bunch of FLAC files in it. Slimserver accurately reads these files and separates them into artist, album, songs, etc. My only question is: Is there some reason that I should create subfolders for these FLAC files to prevent potential corruption problems or some other reason?
Thx
emm

snarlydwarf
2006-03-25, 13:29
For three reasons:
1) It makes album artwork easier to organize
2) It makes access speed increase (think of how hard it would be to find a single piece of paper in 1000 unsorted sheets, but how much easier if they were sorted into 100 groups of 10 sheets).
3) It makes Browse Music Folder useful.

How far deep you go depends on how big your collection gets to be: You may be able to get away with:
/ARTIST/ALBUM/files

Or you may want to add some grouping to that:
/GENRE/ARTIST/ALBUM/files

How you do it depends on you, of course, as long as you can find everything. But 10000 files in a single directory makes it hard on your operating system as well as on you.

Siduhe
2006-03-25, 13:33
For three reasons:
1) It makes album artwork easier to organize
2) It makes access speed increase (think of how hard it would be to find a single piece of paper in 1000 unsorted sheets, but how much easier if they were sorted into 100 groups of 10 sheets).
3) It makes Browse Music Folder useful.

How far deep you go depends on how big your collection gets to be: You may be able to get away with:
/ARTIST/ALBUM/files

Or you may want to add some grouping to that:
/GENRE/ARTIST/ALBUM/files

How you do it depends on you, of course, as long as you can find everything. But 10000 files in a single directory makes it hard on your operating system as well as on you.

What he said ! My only build is, if the majority of your albums are compilations without a clear, defined "artist", you may find that something like "/ALBUM/files" or "/GENRE/ALBUM/files" works better.

emm
2006-03-25, 13:53
Thanks. That makes sense. Is there an easy way to put the genie back in the bottle - meaning, is there a software program that can take a 1000 FLAC files and organize them into ARTIST/ALBUM/File folders?
emm

ceejay
2006-03-25, 16:29
Yes. Mp3tag will do this (and I suspect other taggers will too). In the help file, look for "Convert tags from/to filenames".

Ceejay

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-25, 16:57
Yes. Mp3tag will do this (and I suspect other taggers will too). In the help file, look for "Convert tags from/to filenames".

Ceejay

Ceejay, or anyone else:

My help files are broken. All I get is an unhelpful blurb and "This document gives a short introduction to the converters in Mp3tag. A detailed explanation of the format string syntax can be found at the configuration help topic of the specific converter."

But the program's help file tries to load /C:/Program which obviously doesn't work.

Would anyone be kind enough to post the appropriate help file here that details how to make artist/album folder structures?

Thanks in advance!

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-25, 19:19
Actually I figured it out!

Works fine using:

%artist%\%album%\%title%

ceejay
2006-03-26, 01:13
Ceejay, or anyone else:

My help files are broken. All I get is an unhelpful blurb and "This document gives a short introduction to the converters in Mp3tag. A detailed explanation of the format string syntax can be found at the configuration help topic of the specific converter."

But the program's help file tries to load /C:/Program which obviously doesn't work.

Ah, yes, forgot about that, its broken in mine too... but if you (file) browse to the folder where mp3tag is installed, you will see a "help" folder - find index.htm, double click, and you are away...

Ceejay

emm
2006-03-26, 07:43
Okay I'm making progress, but I've got 2 questions:

(1) Do I have to do this manually for every individual track? For example, the only way to create the subfolders that's worked is if I add the individual artist name, album name, title name like this: %artist%Annie Lennox\%album%Medusa\%title%Take Me To The River. How do I do this globally?

(2) What about track number? How would I include this in the title?

please help. Thank you.
emm

ceejay
2006-03-26, 08:20
Okay I'm making progress, but I've got 2 questions:

(1) Do I have to do this manually for every individual track? For example, the only way to create the subfolders that's worked is if I add the individual artist name, album name, title name like this: %artist%Annie Lennox\%album%Medusa\%title%Take Me To The River. How do I do this globally?

(2) What about track number? How would I include this in the title?

please help. Thank you.
emm

You should be able to do this with a single command in mp3tag. Point it at the directory containing all your files. Select all the files. Tell it to rename to %artist%\%album%\%track% - %title%

You should not need to spell out the actual artist etc values, as long as they are in tags for the files...

If you can't get this to work, be sure to let us know what version (exactly) of mp3tag you are using...

Ceejay

MrC
2006-03-26, 09:41
My [Mp3tag] help files are broken. All I get is an unhelpful blurb and "This document gives a short introduction to the converters in Mp3tag. A detailed explanation of the format string syntax can be found at the configuration help topic of the specific converter."

Upgrade to Mp3tag 2.35m. This bug has been fixed since 2.35a.

emm
2006-03-26, 09:41
Ceejay - Thank you so much. That worked perfectly. I would have spent 3 days and still not figured that out.
emm

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-26, 09:56
Ceejay - Thank you so much. That worked perfectly. I would have spent 3 days and still not figured that out.

Note that if you have a few inconsistencies, for example, missing artist or album data, the program will give you an error.

Just rearrange the format field as appropriate to suit. For example:

%artist%\%title%

or

%album%\%title%

Took me a while to figure this out, but it's easy to sort your collection by album name. Click on the album column and it'll sort, with missing data on the top. Click the first one, shift+click the last one.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-26, 12:23
BTW another tip I just sorted out: in order to have this done automatically in EAC, in the EAC menu, EAC Options - Filename tab, just specify %A\%C\%T.

That way you don't have to keep doing this for every new rip.

pablolie
2006-03-26, 14:27
I would very strongly recommend to include the artist-album hierarchy. It is a solid foundation for the future, since it's grow the best, and is the most intuitive to navigate, since it emulates the way a CD collection is naturally organized. I just include the "genre" up front for stuff I don't listen to as often.

The reason for that? In my experience, the "browse music folder" option is the most reliable one when navigating one's music from the SB. SS can be a bit temperamental when using the other navigation options.

emm
2006-03-26, 20:02
Thx Mark and Pablobie - MP3tag is a very intuitive program once you know the ins and outs. Highly recommended.
emm

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-26, 20:12
Thx Mark and Pablobie - MP3tag is a very intuitive program once you know the ins and outs. Highly recommended.
emm

Glad it helped. Actually your post was very well-timed. I was in the same situation as you: one big folder. Things were going smoothly with my 1900 tracks but it's growing now that it has a 250 GB home. In fact it's now 2148 tracks. :-)

Given the first couple of responses to your question I got worried. I also started noticing a problem over the weekend. I was ripping a lot of singles and the titles ended up overwriting album songs with the same title, but not necessarily the same content (you know how singles can be). Dividing into folders conveniently works around this.

I am really pleased that Mp3tag made changing to a folder structure so easy as the task would be daunting if it was done manually.

MrC
2006-03-26, 20:53
MP3tag is a very intuitive program once you know the ins and outs.An oxymoron to be sure.

emm
2006-03-26, 21:14
Yes you're right. Anything's intuitive once someone's told you how to intuit it! At any rate, you guys have all been really helpful and I appreciate it.
emm