PDA

View Full Version : Can't Connect to Slimserver - IP settings?

tf8252
2006-03-23, 21:40
I can connect to the SqueezeNetwork, but not to Slimserver.

Could it be that Slimserver is not running on the NAS (I installed a script to launch slimserver.pl automatically on boot), or would that give a different error message?

Squeezebox connects to SqueezeNetwork via my wireless router.
Squeezebox is connected to my NAS drive via crossover cable.

Settings...

SqueezeBox: 192.168.1.110
Subnet: 255.255.255.000
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.5
DNS: 192.168.1.1
SlimServer (NAS drive): 192.168.1.5
Bridge Wireless Ethernet: YES

Do these settings look right?

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-23, 22:18

I think this is the problem.

What you're saying is that you're connected to the SlimServer via wireless and that you want to pass network data to the wired connection. But SlimServer is on the wired connection, not wireless.

Change the Squeezebox to the wired connection. It's in the initial settings menu. You'll be asked whether you want to use the wired or wireless connections.

Incidentally, how is the Internet data getting to your Squeezebox? Is it somehow going through the NAS? I have a feeling you have a wireless router and that's how it's going through. In that case, it would be better to wire the NAS to the router and wire the Squeezebox to the router as well.

tf8252
2006-03-23, 22:25
Yes, Squeezebox connects wirelessly to my router.

tf8252
2006-03-23, 22:29
Wireless router IP is 192.168.1.1

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-23, 22:29
Yes, Squeezebox connects wirelessly to my router.

Since you have bridging enabled, the data is trying to flow backwards. The Squeezebox is trying to pass network data to its wired connection, which is the NAS running SlimServer.

Disable bridging mode and wire both the NAS and the Squeezebox directly to the router.

tf8252
2006-03-23, 22:33
Ok,

I know many others are connecting with ethernet cable from/to their Slimserver though.

If I were not connecting to SqueezeNetwork it would work??

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-23, 22:34
I'm getting the idea that perhaps your network is arranged in this unusual fasion due to physical placement issues and that it might not be feasible to wire both network devices to the router.

In that case, move the NAS close to the router and wire it to the router. Your Squeezebox can then access the router wirelessly.

tf8252
2006-03-23, 22:37
Ok, I'll try it, but it still seem like I should be able to have the NAS wired to the Squeezebox, while the Squeezebox connect to the Squeeze Network via the wireless modem.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-23, 22:39
I know many others are connecting with ethernet cable from/to their Slimserver though.

If I were not connecting to SqueezeNetwork it would work??

Yes, if you don't want SqueezeNetwork access, this would work, but not with bridging enabled. The traffic flow is too convoluted with bridging mode enabled, because the Squeezebox is trying to pass network traffic to the wired device, the NAS, which is trying to pass network data back to the router, which is trying to pass network data back to the Squeezebox. Very confusing!

tf8252
2006-03-23, 22:40
Did I mention I have a CROSSOVER CABLE between the Squeezbox and tghe NAS?

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-23, 22:44
Ok, I'll try it, but it still seem like I should be able to have the NAS wired to the Squeezebox, while the Squeezebox connect to the Squeeze Network via the wireless modem.

Your router is the general-purpose networking device that handles all yoour local network and Internet traffic. The Squeezebox cannot use both wired and wireless interfaces at the same time. In bridging mode, it's looking for SlimServer traffic on the wireless interface. It can find SqueezeNetwork because Internet traffic is going through your router, but it can't find your SlimServer because it's looking for it over the wireless interface. When you enable wireless, you tell the Squeezebox to ignore the wired connection.

tf8252
2006-03-23, 22:52
I connected the NAS directly into one of the hard wired ports on my wireless router with the ethernet cable that came with it...

Still can't connect to Slimserver

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-23, 22:53
Did I mention I have a CROSSOVER CABLE between the Squeezbox and tghe NAS?

The NAS may have an auto-sensing port (not sure if the Squeezebox does). When/if you wire the NAS to the router, you should use a regular patch cable as crossover cables are "NIC to NIC", i.e. used when you're trying to connect two network interface cards for some reason. The NAS probably counts as a NIC and so does the Squeezebox, but the router ports are not "NIC ports". If the NAS does have an auto-sensing port, you can use the crossover cable between it and the router. But if the router LAN light doesn't light up for that port, use a regular patch cable here.

But again, this is not really the problem.

tf8252
2006-03-23, 22:57
NAS is connected with a patch cable to port on the router, but still can't connect to Slimserver

tf8252
2006-03-23, 22:59
But I AM CONNECTING to Slimserver wirelessly via my laptop...which is on the same network.

snarlydwarf
2006-03-23, 23:20
SqueezeBox: 192.168.1.110
Subnet: 255.255.255.000
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.5
DNS: 192.168.1.1
SlimServer (NAS drive): 192.168.1.5

Do these settings look right?

No....

A gateway is "when I have something to send that isn't on my network, what machine is smart enough to deal with it?" That would be your router, not your NAS box. So 192.168.1.1?

(That's where the subnet mask comes in: to determine what is local and what is remote... with 255.255.255.0, anything that starts with 192.168.1. is local, everything else should go to the router.)

If you've now set that right, you have just plain old wireless issues. Try it with all encryption and such turned off and see if it connects then. Then try it with a simple key and then with a real key.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-24, 08:08
But I AM CONNECTING to Slimserver wirelessly via my laptop...which is on the same network.

That's because the traffic is only going through the router once. It has a clear path from SlimServer to the laptop.

Let's get a fresh start. Using my Amazing Clipart Skillz (tm) I drew two crude diagrams to indicate what's going on.

The first one shows conventional network topology. Every device has a single link to the router, either wired or wireless - they are equivalent in this context and you could replace wireless links with wired links and wired links with wireless links if you wished. Note that each device has a clear path through the router to each other device and traffic only passes through your router once. Even Internet traffic gets passed through the router only once and has a clear path to each network device.

The second diagram shows your current situation. It's clear that you should theoretically have SqueezeNetwork access because Internet traffic passes through your router only once and has a clear path. It's also clear that your laptop will have access to SlimServer - laptop traffic destined for SlimServer goes wirelessly out to the router, then wirelessly out to the Squeezebox, which then bridges it to the SlimServer NAS. One clear path. Similarly, your laptop has Internet access and any devices wired to the router will be able to see the Internet and any other devices.

What's convoluted is the path data takes from the SlimServer NAS to the Squeezebox. It will have to go from the NAS to the Squeezebox (note the Squeezebox won't do anything with bridged traffic except pass it back and forth) to the router. Then it will have to be sent back again to the Squeezebox. Commands from the Squeezebox to SlimServer follow a similar convoluted path - data cannot be sent along the network cable to the NAS directly because the Squeezebox has been instructed to use the wireless connection to SlimServer. If you chose the wired connection, it would work. But instead it has to send its data wirelessly to the router, which then sends the data back to the Squeezebox, this time destined to the bridged device, the SlimServer NAS. The bridging function then attempts to direct the traffic to the bridged connection. It's a chicken-and-egg thing. This is simply too confusing and too convoluted to work properly, especially for a device that depends on its server as heavily as a Squeezebox does.

If you were to choose the wired connection to SlimServer, this would work, but it would create other problems. You will have told the Squeezebox to deactivate its wireless connection, therefore it won't communicate with the router. It's actually on its own private network cut off from the Internet and cut off from the rest of your network. Therefore, it would have no SqueezeNetwork access and the SlimServer NAS would have no connection with the rest of your network for control purposes, streaming purposes and file transfer purposes.

Hopefully this gives you an idea.

Regarding your present issues, it's nothing more than configuration stuff. Since you had SqueezeNetwork access your wireless connection was functional. Reset the Squeezebox, reboot devices, etc. Everything has a clear path to everything else now, it will work.

tf8252
2006-03-24, 12:00
Thanks so much for all your time here...think I understand now.

My goal was to allow music to travel from the NAS to the Squeezebox on a cable rather than wireless...for speed, while still taking advantage of the SqueezeNetwork radio, etc.

Right now I have the Squeezebox and the NAS in my livingroom downstairs. The Wireless Router is upstairs connected to the Cable modem.

I have a desktop and a laptop wireless sharing the Internet connection.

So if I understand correctly, I should relocate the router downstairs neer my receiver. Hardwire IN from the NAS to a port on the router and OUT from the router to the Squeezebox - this will take care of Slimserver.

Correct??

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-24, 12:30
Thanks so much for all your time here...think I understand now.

No problem, but let's reserve judgement until we get things working. ;-) I think we're well on our way though.

My goal was to allow music to travel from the NAS to the Squeezebox on a cable rather than wireless...for speed, while still taking advantage of the SqueezeNetwork radio, etc.

Very good idea, but in order to do this, you have to have access to the Internet through the NAS (bridging, which is not the function of a NAS at all) or have both the NAS and an Internet connection on your router so they can both be accessed by any network device - which is what we're trying to do.

So if I understand correctly, I should relocate the router downstairs neer my receiver. Hardwire IN from the NAS to a port on the router and OUT from the router to the Squeezebox - this will take care of Slimserver.

Correct??

Yes, but there's one big concern here: how will you get the cable modem's WAN (Wide Area Network, i.e. Internet) port in to the WAN port on the router?

If you were willing to run long network wires then no problem. In that case it would be better to keep the router upstairs, run a long cable to the Squeezebox and move the NAS close to the router so you don't have to run another long cable.

Although running cables is the best way, it's difficult to do for a lot of people, which is why the wireless Squeezebox exists in the first place. You may want to try it out. You could be pleasantly surprised and you know your router already works with the Squeezebox wirelessly. I play FLAC all the time and in the 5 months since I've had the device I think I've had one confirmed dropout, plus I'm in a really radio-adverse environment, surrounded by 8 wireless networks and less than a kilometre away from a 500 000W FM/AM/TV broadcast tower.

So experiment around with a wireless connection before committing to running wires. It doesn't cost you anything and it will probably work flawlessly. Plus you can change it to a wired connection any time you want.

tf8252
2006-03-24, 12:54
I have a COAX cable inlet in the living room as well, so I can just connect the cable modem there, and the router to the cable modem.

Guess that should do it.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-24, 13:14
I have a COAX cable inlet in the living room as well, so I can just connect the cable modem there, and the router to the cable modem.

Guess that should do it.

Yup - think so! It's been a while since I had cable broadband, but from what I remember it required no special connectors or line filters to the modem, so any standard cable coax would work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Good luck!

tf8252
2006-03-24, 21:39
I don't understand.

I have the NAS wired to my wireless router now.

Slimserver is pulling an IP from the router.
I can ping the NAS from a Desktop that's on the wireless network, but SB still can't find any Slimservers!?!?

Any ideas?

tf8252
2006-03-24, 21:52
I can connect to the Buffalo Admin on the NAS, but not to Slimserver on port 9000

I CAN telnet into the Linux prompt also...

Maybe SS is not running?

I tried running it and get this...

bash-2.05a# ./slimserver.pl
2006-03-24 22:51:56.2263 There was an error while checking for updates to SlimSe rver:
Failed to connect to update.slimdevices.com:80. Perl's error is 'Invalid argume nt'.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-24, 22:01
I can connect to the Buffalo Admin on the NAS, but not to Slimserver on port 9000

I CAN telnet into the Linux prompt also...

Maybe SS is not running?

I tried running it and get this...

bash-2.05a# ./slimserver.pl
2006-03-24 22:51:56.2263 There was an error while checking for updates to SlimServer:
Failed to connect to update.slimdevices.com:80. Perl's error is 'Invalid argument'.

Sounds like the NAS doesn't have Internet access? It doesn't matter, but it looks like it's causing SlimServer to error out and preventing it from running.

Check your router configuration page. Can it see the NAS? Does it indicate a device is connected?

Can you see the NAS configuration page in your browser? Can you call up SlimServer at 192.168.1.5:9000?