PDA

View Full Version : Power connection problems

vdeknock
2006-03-23, 16:19
Before I go back to the supplier in Oz just a quick question about the power connection. Mine is extremely sensitive, I normally have to give the plug a slight twist to get the unit to power on the first time. As soon as I plug the cord in the I can see that the digital connection is lit but it takes a while for the screen to show the slimdevices logo. I then have to do a little twist or pull out and re plug and once working it is normally fine. ie the clock shows all the time as long as you dont move it. I wanted to be able to take the unit and put it outside and connect to for party music but dont like how sensitive the power connection is. Is this normal or do I have a special unit ?

Aztek
2006-03-23, 17:26
I'm pleased to hear that I am not alone. Mine is very sensitive and even just a slight movement of the Squeezebox causes the power to disconnect. I try to avoid any movement of the box at all to prevent this from happening.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-23, 18:05
That's not normal for me, and I have one SB2 and one SB3.

What region is your power supply for? Your post seems to indicate Australia?

vdeknock
2006-03-23, 18:42
Correct - I am using the supplied power supply which comes with the Oz plug (cable between the power supply and transformer)

atat
2006-03-24, 00:05
From the second power up onwards, same problem with my SB3, which I received yesterday. (I know the power supply was ok as I could see the lit thru the digital connection hole and the working signals on my router.)

I had to plug and unplug and do some re-positioning before finally getting the display to lit up.

I am using an UK plug as I live in Hong Kong (SB3 is getting popular here).

I hate to return the unit all the way to US for exchange as it would be too troublesome.

Maybe Slim Devices should look into this, as that makes 3 of us now.

ChrisOwens
2006-03-24, 10:33
Just to be sure, you're saying it's the end that plugs in to the Squeezebox that is sensitive to connections; not the end that plugs into the wall power ("mains" I think you commonwealth types call it :))?

vdeknock
2006-03-24, 18:30
Chris

You are correct - Dont think it is the power supply as once powered up as long as you dont move it the unit is fine. I think the problem is with the power connection in the unit. I purchased the unit from Wicked Digital in Australia Sydney 2 weeks ago.

Aztek
2006-04-06, 03:12
Any update - mine is definitely not right. Movement causes it to power down. Sometimes it won't even power up when I plug it back in and I have to move the plug around to get a connection. I am in New Zealand and it is the plug-end that goes into the Squeezebox itself that is the problem.

Thanks

MuchtyDave
2006-04-13, 05:51
Afternoon all,

Just got my brand new SB3 out of the box, plugged it in and got the expected "welcome" screen. Left the device on whilst I went and downloaded SlimServer 6.2.1 and installed it. Tried starting SlimServer but no go, so downloaded 6.2.2 from last nights build and hey presto SlimServer is up and running (took a minute or two to scan the 1400 or so mp3 tracks that are already on my PC).

Go back to the SB3, unplug it and move it to be adjacent to my stereo, plug it back in and nothing. :( There appears to be power going into the unit as the optical S/PDIF connection is "illuminated". Tried holding the power button for over 5 seconds, then the "add" button, but still nothing. Is the unit faulty?

Tried ringing the UK supplier (Multitask Computing) but nobody there...

Does anybody have any clues why it's no longer working?

TIA

Dave

atat
2006-04-16, 06:57
Just like mine, it's definitely not normal.

But I have learnt to live with it - by tweaking the position of the SB3 slightly in case the unit needs to be powered off and on.

Adam_F
2006-04-17, 14:55
Go back to the SB3, unplug it and move it to be adjacent to my stereo, plug it back in and nothing. :( There appears to be power going into the unit as the optical S/PDIF connection is "illuminated". Tried holding the power button for over 5 seconds, then the "add" button, but still nothing. Is the unit faulty?

Sounds very much like the fault I had. The 'work around' for me was to pull the power plug out from the back of the SB3, and reinsert it, with mains power still applied to the power supply. This seemed to kick the SB3 into life most of the time.

I contacted Slimdevices technical support about this, and they suggested a CPU board fault and advised me to return the unit to Multitask, which I did. Still waiting for a replacement :(

Adam.

vdeknock
2006-04-17, 16:46
But given we all have a similar problem whats to say you wont get it on the next one.

I got it working and have not touched the unit. So far has always worked without a problem. But if I move the unit I have to play a little to get it right.