PDA

View Full Version : Wiki page on player firmware

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-23, 12:34
Since this question comes up regularly for new users and isn't exactly covered in the FAQ, which deals with what to do if it goes wrong, I've made a wiki page covering it.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?PlayerFirmware

A frequently-asked new user question is "How do I update my firmware?"

The Squeezebox has a very easy firmware update process that's different than updating firmware in a router, for example. The firmware code is packaged with SlimServer. If you're running the latest SlimServer, you have the latest firmware for your Squeezebox.

The Squeezebox always checks with SlimServer that it has the latest firmware. When you update SlimServer, if it includes new firmware, both the Squeezebox and SlimServer will let you know that the player requires a firmware update. SlimServer will show that the player requires an update and the Squeezebox will prompt you to press and hold the BRIGHTNESS button on the remote to start the firmware update process.

Once you press and hold the BRIGHTNESS button on the remote, a progress bar indicates how much of the firmware the Squeezebox has downloaded from SlimServer. This should only take a few seconds. The player will then reboot. There may be a longer pause on the blank screen than normal as the code in various chips gets rewritten.

Note that the SLIMP3, the Squeezebox and the Squeezebox2 all have different firmware due to their different hardware. The Squeezebox3 uses the same firmware as the Squeezebox2. The system takes into account your player type and makes sure you are using firmware intended for your player.

To switch to older firmware, simply switch to an older version of SlimServer.

Feel free to edit.

I've linked the SlimSever index page (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimServer) to it, in the Post Installation section. I wanted to put it in the Beginner's Guide but couldn't think of a good place.

Yannzola
2006-03-23, 12:48
Is it really that easy to revert to an older version of the firmware? Don't you need to edit the squeezebox.version file for a prompt to appear in the player if the "new" firmware is older than called for originally? Can the earlier version of SS install over an existing more recent installation, or do they need to uninstall and reinstall?

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-23, 12:49
Is it really that easy to revert to an older version of the firmware? Don't you need to edit the squeezebox.version file for a prompt to appear in the player if the firmware older than called for originally?

You could be right. I've never tried it.

I'll edit that out.

Actually I noticed you put something in there. So rather than delete it, I've just commented it out until someone can confirm.

ceejay
2006-03-23, 16:40
I wanted to put it in the Beginner's Guide but couldn't think of a good place.

Reference added in BeginnersGuideOverview (under "Squeezebox")

Ceejay.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-23, 18:11
Reference added in BeginnersGuideOverview (under "Squeezebox")

Ceejay.

Awesome - thanks Ceejay! :-)

treble
2006-03-23, 21:23
Since I had major problems with firmware 29 and 35, I have downgraded firmware from 29 and up back to 28 by (clean) reinstalling 6.2.1. You can then reinstall 6.2.2 but before starting it you have to edit the squeezebox2.version file in the Firmware subdirectory to show something like:

# Squeezebox2 firmware
#
# from to
# from1..from2 to

1..35 28

# future versions may be downgraded to this one
I am not sure if you really have to reinstall 6.2.1 first. It might be just enough to edit this file (since 6.2.2 comes with FW28) and restart the slimserver.

Robin Bowes
2006-03-24, 14:49
Yannzola wrote:
> Is it really that easy to revert to an older version of the firmware?

Yes.

> Don't you need to edit the squeezebox.version file for a prompt to
> appear in the player if the firmware older than called for originally?

No. It will downgrade automatically.

R.

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-24, 15:08
Yannzola wrote:
> Is it really that easy to revert to an older version of the firmware?

Yes.

> Don't you need to edit the squeezebox.version file for a prompt to
> appear in the player if the firmware older than called for originally?

No. It will downgrade automatically.

R.

If that's the case, then I'll put that section back up.

Thanks.