PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox DHCP problem

flyozone
2006-03-23, 00:45
Hi,

My SB is not able to obtain an IP address via DHCP on the wireless network. The SSID discovery seems to work ok, and the SB seems to be able to connect to the selected SSID. The next step, getting an IP address via DHCP, fails. The wireless access point shows DHCP activity but it looks like the SB times out before the access point is able to respond (slow access point(?)
Is there a way to fix this, for example by increasing the DHCP timeout value?

Cheers,
FlyOzone

cepheid
2006-03-23, 02:06
What wireless router are you using? You need to make sure to disable SuperG, Turbo, XR, or any of the other proprietary "speed enhancements" on the router. The SB3 is not compatible with those protocols.

The same thing happened to me on my D-Link DI-624 when SuperG was enabled... the SB3 would connect to the router but could not obtain an IP through DHCP. If I gave it a static IP, it still would not pass packets on the network. Disabling SuperG solved the problem, and is a known issue.

Hope this helps...

ceejay
2006-03-23, 04:48
In addition to the good advice above... some people have had success just by going for a static IP address instead of using DHCP. It may not seem quite so elegant, but if it works....

Ceejay

ChrisOwens
2006-03-23, 11:49
Hi Fly,

What kind of WAP/router is it and what security settings are you using?

flyozone
2006-03-24, 14:37
Hi Fly,

What kind of WAP/router is it and what security settings are you using?

I'm using a so-called LiveBox (I have a Wanadoo ADSL subscription in The Netherlands). The livebox is a Sagem F@st 3202. On the livebox I have set WPA Personal security and disabled MAC address filtering.

Just a minute ago I tried wireless in combination with a static IP address but that fails too :-(.

Cheers,
Fly Ozone

smurfk1
2006-03-24, 16:32
I'm in the same boat, only with a d-link router. No security and WEP work fine, but WPA personal will not work with either a static or dynamic IP. I'm beginning to think that the SqueezeBox implementation is flawed and can only be addressed with some future firmware update, even though I did have WPA working from a linksys router.

:(

cepheid
2006-03-25, 23:43
I'm in the same boat, only with a d-link router. No security and WEP work fine, but WPA personal will not work with either a static or dynamic IP.
Which D-Link router? I'm using a DI-624 with WPA-PSK without any problems whatsoever. As long as SuperG and Turbo are disabled, the SB3 can connect just fine with WPA, at least in my case.

Ash
2006-06-07, 08:49
Hi

To make a SB work with a Livebox you need to put the Livebox into Pairing mode, when the SB is searching after finding the SSID.

To put your Livebox into Pairing mode, you should press the button labelled (1) on the back of your Livebox.

The Pairing/Association mode is indicated by the flashing light on your Livebox.

Ash

When your Livebox is not in Pairing/Association mode, no other device (which has not previously been associated to your Livebox) will be allowed to connect. This will provide security against outside intrusions on your wireless connection